Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I am a lifelong Alaskan and grew up in a small but amazing school district with plenty of money in the 70s and 80s. My kids have gone to Huffman during their elementary school career except for a couple years we spent out of state. Schools in Alaska are years ahead of what we saw in comparison - and Huffman is one of the best!! We're grateful to be back home!!!

Develops character: Strongly agree

The staff shows respect to the students and in turn the students learn how to be respectful.

I'm reading tired, old reviews that give this school low or nonexistent ratings. It is January 2016, The last couple principals here have been very engaged with the student body, the staff and the families who have children attending this school. My grandchildren either already attend Huffman, or will attend as they grow into the K-12 age group, and I could not be happier. The sense of community here is palpable. My grandson has some special needs. They are recognized and the staff is supportive. He functiions quite normally as a result, and we are always there as a family to back him up. In the end, it is up to him to put forth a respectable face to the community. We are just the worker bees.

The current Principal has gotten Huffman Elementary back on track. The teachers are wonderful: they do a great job of encouraging the kids to achieve excellence, they expect mature behavior, they make learning fun, and they treat the kids with respect. As a result, our kindergartener is reading at a 4th grade level, and loves school. The atmosphere is friendly, safe, and encouraging. The relatively small school/class size creates a family-like environment: all the kids seem to get along very well, regardless of racial or ethic differences and regardless of physical or developmental disabilities. Historically, Huffman kids have tested at very high levels relative to those from other Anchorage schools. The kids get excellent PE opportunities (including cross-country skiing!) and the music and art teachers are enthusiastic. In short, I believe that we are truly blessed to have such a great neighborhood school, and I think any parent would be happy to send his or her child to Huffman.

Huffman Elementary has always been an excellent school with excellent teachers. I have two kids in the school. I have sinced moved from the Huffman Elemntary zone but continue to place my kids their through a zoning exemption due to the high quality I perceive at the school.

I am so sad to say how terrible this school is. My child did not get the help he needed and is just being moved on without the foundation he needs. The front desk gal is nice, but all the teachers act like they are either doing you a favor or just do not seem to care. Emails go unanswered, calls go unanswered. Classrooms appear disorganized and chaotic. Huge contrast to Rabiit Creek where the school is bright, clean and the teachers and staff could not do any more to make you feel like you are an integal part of your child's education.

I'm sad to say that Huffman has really taken a huge step backwards this past school year 2007-2008 with a new principal that I haven't seen in the hallways once this year. She has very little interaction with the students and I volunteer at the school and still don't see her. I'm also disheartened by the lack of heart felt passion for teaching that I see in some of the teachers. I loved Huffman last year and now I'm thinking of moving our child to a private school. It's sad.

We love Huffman but we will be moving out of the state for a couple years but possibly returning for my oldest daughter to go there for 6th grade. Not to happy with the music department ever since the other teacher resigned for family reasons. It just doesn't compare anymore and the kids don't seem to get as excited about music class anymore. The parent involvement is great and the community involvement blows all the other schools out of the water. Best school in Alaska hands down!

Last modified Huffman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.