Anchorage, AK

Northern Lights Abc K-8 School 1

Posted March 30, 2015
I was a previous NLABC student, and let me tell you some honest opinions. It is a great school, no lie, but their teachers are just not fit for their job. They seem bored with the classes and they seem as if they want to flee from the school. Now don't get me wrong, the teachers and people there are good. But i hated their "curriculum" No nail polish? I mean what type of school does that. Anyways
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 20, 2015
We have had 4 children attend Northern Lights, 3 of whom are now older and out of the house. Ask any of them now, and they are all glad they went to school here. It is a great school, and emphasizes personal responsibility, respect, and patriotism. Yes, it's hard. They expect the kids to do their work. They further expect the PARENTS to do participate. The pace the kids advance is staggering compared to other schools. Yes, there is the occasionally bad teacher, just like any school. We had one in particular that was horrible, but said teacher only lasted a year or so and was...moved on. They award hard work and achievements, but they don't pander or hand out "feel good" awards, which I like. This is as ethnically diverse a school as you will find, since every student is chosen by lottery. Every socio-economic group is represented. My only complaint is the students are too smart for the district high schools when they get done at Northern Lights. They can literally take and pass the graduation requirement test when they are done with 8th grade, which puts them so far ahead of other students that high school tends to be boring. Success has it's drawbacks.

Posted January 20, 2015
I am a student in 4th grade. I used to go to a different school in Kindergarten for 2 or 3 weeks. Then, when I was riding home, my mom told me I got selected out of the Northern Lights ABC Lottery! I was VERY excited (apart from the usual leaving your old school nervousness). The next day or week I went to my first Kindergarten class at NLABC, and boy was I nervous! So, I went through the next 4 or 5 grades (depending on how you look at it) getting better education then I knew you ever COULD get. Well, my point is NLABC IS THE BEST SCHOOL EVER!! Oh, and I can type better than my mom.... XD

Northern Lights Abc K-8 School 3

Posted October 30, 2013
I feel as though my daughter should be wearing a uniform to Northern Lights but thats just one persons opinion and when it comes down to it, it never hurts to see both sides of the spectrum. I like my hats and hoodies. Definite double standard when it comes to allowing individual expression at that school. Yes, they hold their students accountable and don't put up with slackers or unmotivated families because when your kids do start going here, you as a parent will be helping every night with homework. I only gave them three stars because of lack of welcoming I felt from just about all the staff. I realize the school is strict but there is no reason the staff should have no care or concern in the way they talk to you or your child. Yes, they do teach respect, but they won't be any nurturing involved in teaching respect. It feels more like 'YOU WILL RESPECT ME OR ELSE' Thats the ONE thing this school lacks is 'CARE AND CONCERN'... they have more a mentality of 'MOVE IT LOSE IT' so be prepared for a competitive atmosphere that Commends and Recognizes good grades and following everyone else. This is not a school that builds individualism and uniqueness.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 10, 2013
Great school, The school atmosphere is one of caring and trust, which enhances the learning environment. My child love her school and their teachers.

Posted May 03, 2013
I personally love this school. The staff is very involved and it shows that they care about my children and want them to succeed.

Posted November 23, 2011
The teachers at this school are excellent. The Principal is very involved, available and supportive.

Posted April 26, 2010
Besided focus on creating a strong academic foundation for future learning, the school strives to teach the students to respect themselves and to respect others.

Posted October 01, 2009
They are committed to teaching the children not only the foundations of education but also patriotism and personal responsibility.

Posted September 25, 2009
Northern Lights ABC School it's the best school in town, have the best teachers and have a great environment for the students.

2424 East Dowling Rd, Anchorage, AK  99507
Last modified Northern Lights Abc K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northern Lights Abc K-8 School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top