Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

They can make you quiet down. They can also make you excited but you have to follow the rules

Amount of homework: no rating

Sometimes, there is alot, especially in science, but sometimes there isnt alot. It depends on the day and the teacher

Develops character: Agree

This is a fairly diverese school. there are kids of all race and ages. It helps us learn. If you get in trouble, they will be strict, not so strict but strict enough to put it into your mind that that is wrong. Some students dont like they school and I can see why, but all in all, most of the school helps and benefits this school. It is good in Academics and in trying to strive for school support.

It has taught me a lot and about friendship. All the teachers here have pushed me to be the best I can be. Even when I was really hyper

My 5 year old entered the lottery and it took 2 years for her number to come up. When it finally did, the only contact I got was an email saying, "You haven't responded in the allotted 2 days so now you are disqualified." What?? I searched my email, junk mail, deleted mail, I never got an email saying she was accepted, and definitely no one called me. Luckily for me, after taking the tour a few months earlier, I had decided to not transfer my daughter to ABC anyway. Walking through it I did not like the vibe I got. I felt the staff was cold and borderline rude. Our tour guide told me my daughter would have to take out her earrings because no earrings of any kind are allowed in 1st grade. I am a strict mom who expects a lot from my children but feel that a regimented and loving atmosphere is what children need. ABC has the regimented part down but is greatly missing the warmth. I'm glad this school works for some, but it's definitely not for us. I strongly recommend you tour this this school before putting your children in it.

If your child has a learning disability, or is struggling, NLABC is not the school for them...and that's not just my opinion, those were the exact words spoken to me by the receptionist, speech therapist and teacher upon enrollment. NLABC is the most uninviting, arrogant school I have ever encountered. They are only concerned about their national test scores, not the well being of children. After the staff tried very hard to convince me to not accept the lottery seat my son was given, they put the pressure on in order to get us to withdraw. The final straw for me, was when my fifth grader (whom is dyslexic) came home in tears after his teacher held his homework up to the class and stated "this is an example of how not to do your homework". Believe me, this was the final straw in a series of many events. According to the principal I just "misunderstood all of these situations". Perhaps it would be beneficial for someone to remind this school that they are in fact funded with our tax dollars. They are not a private school and anyone can enroll, including children with disabilities. Since leaving the school, I've encountered at least a dozen other families with similar stories. I would not recommend this school.

I was a previous NLABC student, and let me tell you some honest opinions. It is a great school, no lie, but their teachers are just not fit for their job. They seem bored with the classes and they seem as if they want to flee from the school. Now don't get me wrong, the teachers and people there are good. But i hated their "curriculum" No nail polish? I mean what type of school does that. Anyways

We have had 4 children attend Northern Lights, 3 of whom are now older and out of the house. Ask any of them now, and they are all glad they went to school here. It is a great school, and emphasizes personal responsibility, respect, and patriotism. Yes, it's hard. They expect the kids to do their work. They further expect the PARENTS to do participate. The pace the kids advance is staggering compared to other schools. Yes, there is the occasionally bad teacher, just like any school. We had one in particular that was horrible, but said teacher only lasted a year or so and was...moved on. They award hard work and achievements, but they don't pander or hand out "feel good" awards, which I like. This is as ethnically diverse a school as you will find, since every student is chosen by lottery. Every socio-economic group is represented. My only complaint is the students are too smart for the district high schools when they get done at Northern Lights. They can literally take and pass the graduation requirement test when they are done with 8th grade, which puts them so far ahead of other students that high school tends to be boring. Success has it's drawbacks.

I am a student in 4th grade. I used to go to a different school in Kindergarten for 2 or 3 weeks. Then, when I was riding home, my mom told me I got selected out of the Northern Lights ABC Lottery! I was VERY excited (apart from the usual leaving your old school nervousness). The next day or week I went to my first Kindergarten class at NLABC, and boy was I nervous! So, I went through the next 4 or 5 grades (depending on how you look at it) getting better education then I knew you ever COULD get. Well, my point is NLABC IS THE BEST SCHOOL EVER!! Oh, and I can type better than my mom.... XD

I feel as though my daughter should be wearing a uniform to Northern Lights but thats just one persons opinion and when it comes down to it, it never hurts to see both sides of the spectrum. I like my hats and hoodies. Definite double standard when it comes to allowing individual expression at that school. Yes, they hold their students accountable and don't put up with slackers or unmotivated families because when your kids do start going here, you as a parent will be helping every night with homework. I only gave them three stars because of lack of welcoming I felt from just about all the staff. I realize the school is strict but there is no reason the staff should have no care or concern in the way they talk to you or your child. Yes, they do teach respect, but they won't be any nurturing involved in teaching respect. It feels more like 'YOU WILL RESPECT ME OR ELSE' Thats the ONE thing this school lacks is 'CARE AND CONCERN'... they have more a mentality of 'MOVE IT LOSE IT' so be prepared for a competitive atmosphere that Commends and Recognizes good grades and following everyone else. This is not a school that builds individualism and uniqueness.

Last modified Northern Lights Abc K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.