Bad
Good

Teachers are good, but the front office has to be educated on how to praise the teachers. Class size is average, about 25 students or more per teacher. There is no parent envolvement in the PTA, only two parents ran the PTA over the last two years. School PTA requires a criminal background check...

My child is in the optional program at Sustina. I totally love the environment. My child is really learning a lot. My child is self-motivated and does well here. The Principal and staff are all marvelous. I must admit this school communicates effectively so as a parent you are aware of what your child is doing. As far as safety wise, your child would be protected by some great staff members here. Great Schoo!!!

My daughter attended kindergarden, and loved it tremendously. Her KG teacher was excellent. She was deligent, caring and amazingnat her job. We recently moved out of state, and my daughter's attending first grade at a new school, and i am very nervous about her building on the foubdation which her susitna education gave her.

Excellent School! Very involved principal with an extremely capable staff. My 3 kids in the traditional track have been very enthusiastic and have all gone above and beyond academically.

Our kids attend the Susitna Optional program at Susitna Elementary. We love the community feel of 'small school within a school.' The teachers are all master teachers who encourage individual learning, problem-solving, and community outreach. As one other parent review mentioned, it is good to visit an open optional model to see if it is a good fit for your child.

I love the optional program and the feel of the school. My child is self-motivated and does very well. Projects, group learning and experience learning are all key ideals for this optional program. There are lots of field trips and sensory experiences.

I work with the Susitna Optional program and love the teachers in that school. I enjoy being able to volunteer there with a 'community' atmosphere. I feel welcomed and needed and my child thrives with the material and teaching methods used.

My child is in the optional school at Susitna. We are satisfied with most aspects of the education provided. My recommendation is to visit an optional school to see what a typical day is like before enrolling your child. It is very different than a traditional classroom and is often 'controlled chaos' with each child doing their own thing. Children are not given assigned desks and can choose a place to work (at a table, on the floor, on a pillow) Some kids thrive in the optional environment, especially self starters and creative kids who can stay focused on a task with minimal guidance. However, it's not for everyone.

I have had dealings with this school for about 10+ years, and have been extremely happy with the quality and leadership in this school.

Last modified Susitna Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.