Posted April 17, 2012
All of these negative reviews are biased and silly. I have been going to houston all four years of my high school career and it's been the best thing to happen to me. There are no cliques, we all treat each other like equals, and IF there is a bully situation if ANY at all, the wonderful staff and students know how to protect each other and deal with a rude individual. Which leads me to the teachers--We are the luckiest school in the entirety of Alaska in my opinion. We have top-notch teachers who will honestly know your name, get to know YOU as a person, be your best friend if you want, and teach you to the highest of thier abilities. Any of our teacher could take jobs anywhere in the state or out of state and make it great if they so chose, but they chose to stay and teach us. We have great test scores because of these great individuals who know what thier doing and do it in excellence. I'll admit we have a small school size, but maybe that's what makes it great. We all know each other and the school isn't crowded in the least. We need more electives, but it has come to my attention that we will recieve more. We are not perfect, but I can honestly say I LOVE Houston High!

Posted April 05, 2012
Wow, time for an up-to-date review. I've been at Houston (both at the middle school and high school) and reading these old "reviews" makes me grin. The teachers care and do nothing but assist students to improve their education. Those that can comment on the leadership of this school are not willing to look at the other possible problems. In addition, Houston does well with challenging academic programs if the student is willing; the small student body does alter the classes available but there are opportunities. Now to address the other concerns - Houston is very open; the "cliques" cross. Vandalism is very rare. Backpacks are freely left out of lockers and alone because of this. Understandably, the beginning of the year provides problems for the newcomers but dwindles down quickly. If no one new feels welcome, I'm sorry. I, among others, try to prevent this. Especially with the new boundary, we've done well to try and make everyone feel that we're a small, everyone-knows-everyone school. Business Professionals of America, Student Government, National Honor Society, sports are extracurricular activities available. It's not perfect, true, but it's changed drastically since 2009!

Posted May 22, 2009
The teachers are great but some arn't that good at explaining stuff. Just because the test sores are good dosen't mean its a great school. i have been going there three years and the students are selfish and spoiled and unwelcomeing and so are the parents. The school is mostly focsed on spots. The proncipal is great. He tries to be everyone's friend and the students respect him. I just have to tell all the parents before they send their kids there think back to when they were in high school if it was great for you it might not be great for your kids. Those parents that hated high school i am sure its just like that only kids these days are meaner.

Houston High School 0

Posted May 22, 2009
so i am now a senior and i am going to a different school i can't stand it at houston. The kids are mean to you unless you are a skinny spoiled little girl. or a rude good for nothing guy. i was never welcome there at all but when i was a freshman alot of the seniors liked me but ever since then nope i had a close little group of friends. Theres to much drama over which girl stole someones boyfriend. Not to be mean but there are a ton of girls at houston that are sluts in every grade it dosent matter how old they are either. Teacher and classes were great. But the vice principal is a jerk thats putting it nicely. I hated it. i'm glad i'm going somewhere else for my senior year. it's not crowded at max 320 kids. Its not that small.

Houston High School 3

Posted February 18, 2009
I currently attend this school and admit that it's not perfect. When I was a freshman (I'm a senior now) I took Honors English I and as a sophomore took Honors English II but this school, due to its small population, got such classes cut. Quite a dissapointment. I will say that Houston has an excellent English department with awesome teachers like Mr. and Mrs. Helle. I love how the teachers really do know us by name and personality, not just as another student. And yes, there are problems here, but nothing that isn't normal in a small American high school. We do not have frequent acts of vandalism and are a pretty tight knit group. I've met some of the best and more intelligent people here. One of my friends was offered to attend Yale. Now tell me that we have idiots here at Houston.

Posted September 27, 2008
and another thing. seeing how there were 300 seniors in that school, the teachers didnt even know eveybodys name because the school was so overcrowded. I came back here to graduate so that when i walked up on that stage to get my diploma everyone would actually knwo who i was.

Posted April 15, 2008
I graduated from Houston last year and I hated it. I remember that the teachers were extremly religous sided and some were very sexest. The vice principal was an absolute joke also. I did however like the principal. The extracurricular activities were ok, the school didnt exactly take much pride in them. In all, im telling you to send your child to wasilla where the teachers actually care about the students there and arent so much of a joke.

Houston High School 0

Posted January 03, 2008
i went to houston and i think the school needs more activitys for the kinds

Houston High School 5

Posted December 16, 2007

Houston High School
12501 West Hawk Rd, Big Lake, AK  99652
Last modified Houston High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Houston High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top