Alpenglow Elementary School

Public | PK-6

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted September 19, 2013

I just want to add for people looking at older reviews that the school got a new principal beginning with the 2011-2012 school year, so this should be taken into account when reading any reviews regarding the school administration written prior to the fall of 2011.

Posted August 23, 2012

As a former student at Alpenglow Elementary School I am shocked by some of the poor reviews I've read. I understand that every student has their individual experience but I remember Alpenglow as an amazing elementary school. I attended school there from 2003-2007 and absolutely loved it. As for bullying: I was somewhat bullied by my friends but it wasn't major and I dealt with it. I don't remember any real bullying, there were definitely cliques, but overall everybody was kind to each other. The school really educates their students about bullying. I was a peer mediator in 6th grade. I attended classes with other students and we were assigned to a recess were we would help other students with their problems and the students were surprisingly understanding. The teachers I had were amazing! I loved them all and they all really cared about their students. Especially the music teacher, Mr. Baranow! I don't know if he still teaches there but he was the most dedicated teacher. He loved to teach. I was in the choir every year and we has SO much fun. He even took us to Seward for a weekend to perform at schools and retirement homes (as well as in Anchorage). I had an amazing experience (:

Posted August 23, 2012

My daughter is starting her second year at Alpenglow this year and we have had a wonderful experience. The teachers have been phenomenal! My daughter had Ms. Jerome for third grade and she really did a fantastic job communicating with and motivating my daughter. The school environment is very pleasant and safe and the test scores are always very high. We continue to be very impressed with Alpenglow!

Posted April 14, 2011

We are just completing our first year at Alpenglow. They school is run very well and the kids have some very interesting opportunities. (Snowshoeing, Native Games, Ice Skating) However, I am very unimpressed with the level at which my children are being taught. My kids have brought home straight A's without having to even lift their finger. Very, very easy curriculum. They seem to be teaching to the LOWEST level at Alpenglow.

Posted January 5, 2011

Alpenglow- we look towards our future from hilltops, and sidewalks and mountains of snow! My son went to Alpenglow for 4 years, and we were VERY sad to leave. The principal and staff are great and truly care for the children. Its a great, safe, fun learning school. The principal truly cares for the children and I have seen him numerous times, searching himself through out the neighborhood and woods for a child that is late coming home or walks around when there are moose sightings just incase. There is a ZERO tolerance policy on bullying. Again I have seen the principal in action regarding this too. Even the slightest infraction is addressed and there are psychologist at the school as well. I can't wait till we can move back to Alaska and send the rest of our children back to Alpenglow- the place where we call home!

Posted July 24, 2010

The principal does not hold his teachers or the students accountable for negative actions. He sticks up for his teachers even if they are clearly wrong. He does nothing regarding bullying. He is definately more of a friend than a leader.

Posted April 15, 2010

I am very upset with the bullying my daughter is submitted to at this school. She is borderline aspergers, ADHD, OCD and it seems I can talk forever to the teacher but it doesn't stop. I am actually considering taking her out for her last year because this no tolerance stuff is just words.

Posted March 29, 2010

We love this school. During the winter time, students get to ice skate at reccess in the skating rink. In PE, students go snowshoeing and skiing.

Posted March 11, 2010

Put 2 kids through this school. This is by far the best elementary school in the Anchorage/Eagle River area!

Posted January 17, 2010

I am very concerned about the review that I just read below, because I see first hand how the principal does not allow bullying at our school! If the situation occurs, he is quick to address it and the staff support is excellent! We have super noon duties and other staff who are always looking out for the best interest of the children. As a parent and someone who is highly envolved in the school, I can reassure you that our Principal is doing a superb job in making Alpenglow a well desired school! My child had a situation with another student bullying her. Mr. Toymil was very supportive, he communicated with us and our daughter, and the bullying stopped. So, I do not agree with the negative reviews. He has a true heart for the children of our school.

Posted December 5, 2009

This school is not accepting of diverse students and is not welcoming of parent input or advice. The principal, Rick Toymil, is the main problem. He micromanages his teachers, and has them so afraid to do anything outside the box that it has created a stagnant atmosphere that does not challenge kids.

Posted April 20, 2009

We have been at Alpenglow for three years and have had mixed experiences. We have had two excellent teachers and one very weak teacher. We also have had less than positive experiences with the principal. He has been reluctant to take positive action in regards to bullying and other disciplinary actions. I would rate Alpenglow as an average school.

Posted January 26, 2009

I have two boys who have both started attending Alpenglow in Kindergarten. My oldest is now in third grade. We have loved Alpenglow's staff and class enviorment. I would recommend this school and area in a heart beat.

Posted September 4, 2008

We just left Alpenglow elementary this year. My daughter attened k-2nd grade there. We had a wonderful experience, and we wish that we could have stayed. The staff at Alpenglow are really wonderful. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted August 27, 2008

Our experience with Alpenglow was barely mediocre. My child was bullied by another student. This issue continued throughout the year with little disciplinary action from the school staff. Things went 'under the radar' and were brushed off like no big deal. I did not feel welcome, but rather like a second class citizen. We found the most of the office staff to be wonderful, however, the staff we most had direct contact with were very cold and to the point. Like it's just a job attitude. My child fell behind in class due to lack of one on one.... and again, no support from the staff. No child left behind? Mine was....In a big big big way!

Posted August 27, 2008

My child was bullied also. The issue was never resolved but continued and progressed throughout the year with no accountability. My child was not properly supervised after school. I have found my child with other parents, with whom I do not know, supervising while the teacher/sub is off doing other things like visiting. Allowing children to do things that were unsafe and irresponsible, putting my childs safety at risk. As far as acidemics? My child fell behind and is now playing catch-up at a different school.

Posted April 19, 2008

Fantastic school. Both of our children love going to school every day. The teachers are caring. The library, music, and arts departments are great. Who needs private schools when you have Alpenglow down the street.

Posted April 14, 2007

This elementary school is one of the best schools there is in Alaska. It is high quality learning and the teachers are great with the children. They have in there normal subjects math, history, spelling/vocabulary/grammar, reading/righting,etc.. and for additional classes they have, music, gym, art, and 6th graders have an extra additional class, band, it's optional but highly recommended. Knowing play an instrument helps you in all subjects, especially math and reading. This is a great school for children that want a great education. I hope your children like this great school of learning.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted July 30, 2005

In my opinion, everything at alpenglow was in the middle. Sure it had safety, and principal leadership, but its not like it was the best. Everything at Alpenglow was just average. The one thing that they did excell on was the parent involvment. I am a former Alpenglow student and at the time I didnt like how alpenglow always let my parent what I was up to, but when I become a parent I would be wanting a school with as much parent involvement. The teacher quality was okay. Some teacherse were great, while others werent. I would reccomend Alpenglow but I wouldnt brag about it.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 22, 2005

The first day we walked in the door at Alpenglow, we knew this was a great place for our kids to learn. We moved here with my daughter hating school and within a month she loved school at Alpenglow. I credit this growth and change to the awesomely dedicated teachers, kind and helpful staff and the best volunteer force around. Our Alpenglow children have some of the highest testing scores in math and science for the district. Hooray for Alpenglow!

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 75% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Alaska used the Standards Based Assessment (SBA) to test students in grades 3 through 10 in reading, math and writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 10 in science. The SBA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alaska. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

All Students97%

Students without disabilities97%
Proficient in English94%
Non-migrant94%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students87%

Arts & music

Media arts
  • Technical design and production
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

Arts & music

Media arts
  • Technical design and production
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

19201 Driftwood Bay Dr