Eagle River, AK

Posted September 19, 2013
I just want to add for people looking at older reviews that the school got a new principal beginning with the 2011-2012 school year, so this should be taken into account when reading any reviews regarding the school administration written prior to the fall of 2011.

Posted August 23, 2012
As a former student at Alpenglow Elementary School I am shocked by some of the poor reviews I've read. I understand that every student has their individual experience but I remember Alpenglow as an amazing elementary school. I attended school there from 2003-2007 and absolutely loved it. As for bullying: I was somewhat bullied by my friends but it wasn't major and I dealt with it. I don't remember any real bullying, there were definitely cliques, but overall everybody was kind to each other. The school really educates their students about bullying. I was a peer mediator in 6th grade. I attended classes with other students and we were assigned to a recess were we would help other students with their problems and the students were surprisingly understanding. The teachers I had were amazing! I loved them all and they all really cared about their students. Especially the music teacher, Mr. Baranow! I don't know if he still teaches there but he was the most dedicated teacher. He loved to teach. I was in the choir every year and we has SO much fun. He even took us to Seward for a weekend to perform at schools and retirement homes (as well as in Anchorage). I had an amazing experience (:

Posted August 23, 2012
My daughter is starting her second year at Alpenglow this year and we have had a wonderful experience. The teachers have been phenomenal! My daughter had Ms. Jerome for third grade and she really did a fantastic job communicating with and motivating my daughter. The school environment is very pleasant and safe and the test scores are always very high. We continue to be very impressed with Alpenglow!

Alpenglow Elementary School 3

Posted April 14, 2011
We are just completing our first year at Alpenglow. They school is run very well and the kids have some very interesting opportunities. (Snowshoeing, Native Games, Ice Skating) However, I am very unimpressed with the level at which my children are being taught. My kids have brought home straight A's without having to even lift their finger. Very, very easy curriculum. They seem to be teaching to the LOWEST level at Alpenglow.

Posted January 05, 2011
Alpenglow- we look towards our future from hilltops, and sidewalks and mountains of snow! My son went to Alpenglow for 4 years, and we were VERY sad to leave. The principal and staff are great and truly care for the children. Its a great, safe, fun learning school. The principal truly cares for the children and I have seen him numerous times, searching himself through out the neighborhood and woods for a child that is late coming home or walks around when there are moose sightings just incase. There is a ZERO tolerance policy on bullying. Again I have seen the principal in action regarding this too. Even the slightest infraction is addressed and there are psychologist at the school as well. I can't wait till we can move back to Alaska and send the rest of our children back to Alpenglow- the place where we call home!

Alpenglow Elementary School 3

Posted July 24, 2010
The principal does not hold his teachers or the students accountable for negative actions. He sticks up for his teachers even if they are clearly wrong. He does nothing regarding bullying. He is definately more of a friend than a leader.

Alpenglow Elementary School 1

Posted April 15, 2010
I am very upset with the bullying my daughter is submitted to at this school. She is borderline aspergers, ADHD, OCD and it seems I can talk forever to the teacher but it doesn't stop. I am actually considering taking her out for her last year because this no tolerance stuff is just words.

Posted March 29, 2010
We love this school. During the winter time, students get to ice skate at reccess in the skating rink. In PE, students go snowshoeing and skiing.

Posted March 11, 2010
Put 2 kids through this school. This is by far the best elementary school in the Anchorage/Eagle River area!

Posted January 17, 2010
I am very concerned about the review that I just read below, because I see first hand how the principal does not allow bullying at our school! If the situation occurs, he is quick to address it and the staff support is excellent! We have super noon duties and other staff who are always looking out for the best interest of the children. As a parent and someone who is highly envolved in the school, I can reassure you that our Principal is doing a superb job in making Alpenglow a well desired school! My child had a situation with another student bullying her. Mr. Toymil was very supportive, he communicated with us and our daughter, and the bullying stopped. So, I do not agree with the negative reviews. He has a true heart for the children of our school.

Alpenglow Elementary School
19201 Driftwood Bay Dr, Eagle River, AK  99577
Last modified Alpenglow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alpenglow Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top