Ladd Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 496 students

Posted August 29, 2014

This has become the worst school district ever. We were very happy when we got here, but the board has driven everybody worthwhile to retire, move on, or simply pressed them out. Those remaining are those who had nowhere else to go and it shows. We pulled our children from Ladd this year because the new principal is making changes that we don't feel are in the best interest of our child's safety or academic well being. If Ladd is your home school, I'd suggest that you look into a private school or home school.

Posted August 29, 2014

I fully agree with the last comments. The school district is going downhill fast. Ladd was a good school with Mrs. Cook and a great school with Mr. Stitt. I don't know what they were thinking with the new principal. Ladd is almost entirely military. Mrs. Cook's husband was an Air Force Colonel. Mr. Stitt served as a Medic. These people understood the military life and could relate to the kids and parents. The current school board, district administration, and Ladd principal have no military experience, no understanding of the Armed Forces, and are not able to relate to the students and families they are supposed to be serving. At least the lady principal of the school on post served in the Army. I wish Alaska had DOD schools.

Posted August 6, 2013

All of my children attend Ladd Elementary School. The staff is friendly and communicative. The teachers matriculate with the students and the parent has the option to keep the same teacher or not which was refreshing and comforting. Active music and art programs, after school programs and sports programs even for the kindergarteners. There are even gifted programs for those children who need an extra challenge and they have an active PTA. We moved here from out of state and my children were far behind the curve, but the teachers all stepped up and helped them until they were not only on par with the students who have been here for years, but excelling and at the tops of their respective classes.

Posted March 6, 2012

We are a military family and this is our second time at Fort Wainwright. Three of our 5 children have attended 4 different schools in Fairbanks. One has attended 2 schools and the youngest has only gone to Ladd. The school has changed a lot over the years.In fact it almost doubled in size since we were last stationed here. We have not always had success with the schools near the bases. Two of our children receive special education services and have not had good school experiences at all. Ladd has been such a wonderful change. Our children feel accepted. The teachers show genuine care. The principal actually took the time to sit and talk with us about our children. He made us feel welcome which was funny since we had been their before he was. Ladd absolutely has the best special education staff we have ever worked with. We really don't want to leave. A truly great school with a great staff.

Posted February 26, 2012

Great opportunity for gifted children at this school! School staff work at developing goals for your childs needs.

Posted April 12, 2010

Three of our children went to Ladd Elementary. I've been generally pleased with the teachers & staff though I ve been perplexed when my children reached the 5th & 6th grade levels. Their performance, interest and attitude toward school went downhill. There wasn't near the level of homework or challenging assignments that I saw up until the 4th grade level (It didn't seem to progress. Math at 6th grade seemed to be stuck at the 4th grade level, as one example). Seemed like more substitutes and/or teacher aid involvement than the homeroom teacher for various reasons. Really enjoyed Mr. Merrill (4th grade), especially the interaction with parents and what was happening in the classroom as well as follow-ups with homework. However, I don t think he is still teaching there. The expanding and collapsing student population is a problem with the continual military deployments; a 40-percent change in student population at the school appears to rack havoc with teaching and staffing resources. Kudos to those dedicated folks who continue to adjust.

Posted January 22, 2009

I have worked at different schools throughout my teaching career and Ladd is definitely the best. The staff is outstanding and definitely cares about each and every student. We have a diverse population and a large military population. The kids, parents, staff, and principal are the BEST!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 13, 2007

I went to Ladd for 5th to 6th grade.. My dad was in he military so we moved there in the 5th grade. When I moved there I really was welcomed and I after less then a week I felt like I have been going to the school my whole life.. my 5th grade class was the BEST!! I didn't relize it then, but know that I am in High School, I relize how important my 5th grade year was! Ladd is the by far the best elementary school!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 26, 2006

This was a gret school. My kids were there for 2 yrs and learned so much. Wish we hadn't been transfered. Have yet to find a school like this one. Ms. Olzefski and Mr. Plazke, my kids miss them greatly.

Posted February 3, 2006

This school's approach to instruction has disappointed me tremendously. My children have been attending Ladd for four years, and I have to see a textbook, there is often no homework at all, no way for me to see at home what my children are having trouble with while they're working on it... I just get the graded papers a couple weeks later. It's a battle to get the teachers to communicate what's being taught in the classroom to me. Classroom discipline is terrible. If you're involved in your child's education and are trying to teach good study habits and promote a love for learning then this school will give you grief! There are a few good teachers but you have to be lucky enough to get one. My children won't be attending this school next year, even if it means taking out a loan for private school.

Posted December 8, 2005

I used to go to this school I loved it so much it is the best school I ever went to and being a child of a mother and father that is in the Army I have been to alot of schools. I went there 2nd to 6th... Every teacher takes that extra step to help the childern and the childern do learn. Myself now being in High school being there at Ladd helped and that is the Best school ever...
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 18, 2005

My daughter attended Ladd for the first time this year in the fourth grade. I was not particularly happy. She had more homework in the third grade in South Carolina than she had here. Textbooks were nonexistent and I feel that if I needed to assist my child with work that she did not understand, I couldn't because there was no textbook to refer to. If she had a test coming up, there was no study guide worksheet for her to do. I never saw much of History work, just a bunch of reports on certain people. My daughter was afraid to express her concerns when she didn't understand something for fear the teacher would yell, some of her classmates have also said that the teacher would yell if students didn't understand something and they would ask for more assistance.

Posted December 2, 2004

This is my son's first year at Ladd and I can say this is a great school. He has an excellent teacher(Mr. Merrill-3rd grade) and an excellent student-teacher(Mr. Newman.) This school really seems to have it all together! I hope that every year will be as great a year as this one has been so far.

Posted July 22, 2004

As president of the PTA 2003-2004 I experienced first hand each and every teacher and staff of this great school. Their goal was always the well-being of their students. Active teachers that care! I only wish that my daughter's future schools are half of Ladd. Mrs. Marok and Mrs. Fowler-Morris (1st grade teachers) are dedicated, hard working and very caring teachers along with all other staff. You should see how these teachers put in from their own time to go the extra mile. Mrs. Cook, I'm sure, is very proud of this wonderfull school. This school welcomes parent volunteers like you would not imagine! They encourage us to be part of our children' education.

Posted April 19, 2004

'Work Hard, Get Smart.' This has got to be the best school. I worked for the principal at Ladd for three years.(Kathie Cook) I have never seen such a person that truly wants the best education for each child. I have worked for many educators and none has come close to what she gives each student. Each child is called to her office on their birthday to pick out a book. She has such high standards for parents and their children. She will be a person that the parents and children will always remember for years and years to come. Truly an honor to have worked at such a Great School. Cathy Pigott
—Submitted by a staff

Posted December 13, 2003

In 21 years of military life my children have experienced every type of school with in the nation and overseas. Ladd Elementary is by far the best elementary school not only in Fairbanks but nation wide. Teachers like Mrs. Bishop and Mrs. Foller-Morris should be the role models for the teachers of our nation. Alex Green <><

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 75% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Alaska used the Standards Based Assessment (SBA) to test students in grades 3 through 10 in reading, math and writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 10 in science. The SBA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alaska. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

Female84%

Students without disabilities89%
Proficient in English88%
Not migrant87%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students87%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/A41%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

601 F St