Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Both of my children had areas in which to improve this past year. Both teachers worked with them and helped them meet those goals. Both teachers were aware of their strengths as well. How fortunate are we to have had such a great pair of teachers for our first year in Alaska? Very, I think!

Amount of homework: Agree

I have one child who excels and revels in school, and another who simply enjoys the social aspects of school life. The child who is more driven frequently had additional works to complete, as she was included in a higher level grouping. The other child had a weekly packet, given on Fridays, that could be returned as early as Monday the following week. For both children, there was also a good bit of reading required/allowed. As such, it seemed that both needs were being met.

Develops character: Agree

There were incidences throughout the school year (burgeoning hormones in the population) that were dealt with, case by case. Some issues were handled better than others. However, these are human & heart issues. You cannot expect teachers to instill values that haven't been modeled at home. So the children who don't have those mores will not always behave according to the greater population. We experienced a single incident of theft (Christmas giftcard) that was never returned. It wasn't the teacher's fault, because she was very clear about where items should have been placed. Even if it was an honest mistake, the child should have brought it back, but they simply did not.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

No, it does not. The principal would need to embody these attributes for them to be implemented in the school.

The principal Ms. Anthony is negligent in student care. This school is not a safe learning environment. If you want your kid bullied this school is for you. Today my child and another student were removed from the bus and the school never called us parents. I thought my child was missing until another child informed me. I had already dialed the police. The principal would not speak to me because I held accountable and would not allow her to speak down to me like she does to the students and other parents. Homeschooling is your best option if Ladd is your only option.

I agree with the last post about the school size and space, but I also have a problem with their policies and communication. My daughter meets in a closet/storeroom for "tutoring". Literally, a closet! The place is just big enough for a desk and chair. Imagine my surprise when I found this out - and they did not even tell me that they were pulling her out of classes and sending her to a closet to be "tutored" by another parent - not even a teacher or district employee, but a part time temp. They say that her assessments showed she needed extra help. How is pulling her out of class where the learning is taking place, supposedly, going to help her when she is missing instruction and being "taught" in a closet by a local mom? They did not tell me about this, ask me about this, did not give me options, I just found out about it when I was walking through school with my daughter and she showed me the closet where she spends part of her day. Do you think the principal cared? Not this one, she didn't even want to talk to me, and when she did, she spoke down to me like I was one of her naughty students. I can't wait to leave this school.

I'm not sure what the negative reviews are about, I have two children attending Ladd. One in 4th grade and a child in the special pre-k classes. The new principal has developed new programs to encourage the children's good behavior (pawsitive paws) and the school finally addressed the traffic issue. The staff is supportive and helpful. Parents are involved and children are taken care of. As a military family they have been compassionate and understanding at the demands military families are faced with. I would have given the school 5 stars, but I do think it lacks space for the amount of staff and students that they have on campus.

This has become the worst school district ever. We were very happy when we got here, but the board has driven everybody worthwhile to retire, move on, or simply pressed them out. Those remaining are those who had nowhere else to go and it shows. We pulled our children from Ladd this year because the new principal is making changes that we don't feel are in the best interest of our child's safety or academic well being. If Ladd is your home school, I'd suggest that you look into a private school or home school.

I fully agree with the last comments. The school district is going downhill fast. Ladd was a good school with Mrs. Cook and a great school with Mr. Stitt. I don't know what they were thinking with the new principal. Ladd is almost entirely military. Mrs. Cook's husband was an Air Force Colonel. Mr. Stitt served as a Medic. These people understood the military life and could relate to the kids and parents. The current school board, district administration, and Ladd principal have no military experience, no understanding of the Armed Forces, and are not able to relate to the students and families they are supposed to be serving. At least the lady principal of the school on post served in the Army. I wish Alaska had DOD schools.

All of my children attend Ladd Elementary School. The staff is friendly and communicative. The teachers matriculate with the students and the parent has the option to keep the same teacher or not which was refreshing and comforting. Active music and art programs, after school programs and sports programs even for the kindergarteners. There are even gifted programs for those children who need an extra challenge and they have an active PTA. We moved here from out of state and my children were far behind the curve, but the teachers all stepped up and helped them until they were not only on par with the students who have been here for years, but excelling and at the tops of their respective classes.

Last modified Ladd Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.