Posted July 14, 2014
We love Mt. Spurr! Mrs. Stallman is a phenomenal 1st grade teacher! We are hoping my younger child gets her this year. She emailed parents every day to keep us in the loop of things the kids were working on and reminders of events/activities. We loved Mrs. Bragg as well. She was fair, patient, and really went the extra mile to help my son when he was struggling. He improved tremendously from being in her class! Really impressed with the extra mile they go for the kids. We will also really miss Mrs. Mullings, she was a great principal, very fun and approachable. My kids enjoy this school and their academics have really been great here. It's very clean, organized, and the PTA does a lot of fun things for the kids and familes. I'm very glad that we will be able to enjoy another year at Mt. Spurr, since the past 2 have been so great here. If you have the opportunity to enroll your kids here, do it, you won't be disappointed!

Posted May 27, 2014
My wife and I are very happy with Mt Spurr. My son was in Ms Stallman's 1st grade class last year. I was really impressed with her energy and creativity. My son is now reading at an advanced level and I attribute that to Ms Stallman's teaching ability. The staff is all very friendly and professional. I highly recommend this school.

Posted May 04, 2014
My 4 boys attended Mt Spurr from 2010-2014. It is an excellent school that encourages individuality, challenges it's students and has a welcoming environment. All the teachers seem to love what they do, everyday. My favorite teachers were Ms Kaltenborn, Mr Bailey, Ms McGill, and Ms Justis. Their teaching plan and styles were extremely creative, always thought provoking, and fun for my boys. They also have a wonderful librarian, music teachers(band and Orchestra) and PE teacher. This school deserves a 10!

Posted November 05, 2013
Thank God for this school. My son attended K - 2nd. Ms. Stallman and Mrs. Kaltenborn made my sons success their personal mission. We miss this school tremendously!

Mt. Spurr Elementary School 4

Posted July 15, 2013
My children have attended this school for three years and they are very happy with their teachers. I'm happy with the communication between the teachers and parents and the academic challenges. I volunteered a lot with the PTA and met a lot of nice people. They sponsored Popcorn Friday, Bingo Night, and Book Fairs. We have one year left and we are going to miss this school when we move.

Posted April 12, 2013
I love this school. The class size is outstanding and my daughters teacher is very informative, helpful and easy to reach. Parent's receive a daily e-mail from the teacher telling us about our children's day. My daughter has learned a great deal and I will be sad to leave when we PCS next month. The only thing that I did not like was the lack of information from the PTA, I paid my dues and was never asked to volunteer or told about any meeting or given any information so that I could help. I'm also not a fan of the school lunches, however that is not a fault of the school but the way the Anchorage school district runs it's lunch program. AWESOME SCHOOL/AWESOME STAFF!!!!

Posted April 06, 2013
Wonderful School. Great class sizes. Teachers are actively involved in helping children learn. Principal will sit down with me, a parent, and discuss issues. Not impressed with school lunches, but that Anchorage District, not the individual school. The only problem with this is school is the PTA.

Mt. Spurr Elementary School 2

Posted April 16, 2009
Mt. Spurr is a school with some good teachers but overall has poor academic standards. I had kids at Mt. Spurr in 2nd and 4th Grade who were more or less repeating the same material from the previous year in thier former school. If you put your kids in this school be prepared to supplement them or repeat a grade when you move to the next duty station elsewhere because they will be behind. There are several good lottery schools close by that are good alternatives. A very large number of people end up homeschooling who live right next to the school. I ended up moving my kids to another school where they could be challenged.

Posted March 16, 2009
Great School! My child is in Kindergarten here and thinks the world of Mrs. Bragg. Have always had a wonderful line of communication between school and parents.

Mt. Spurr Elementary School 4

Posted January 20, 2009
I list the negatives for this school as the building, few regular afterschool multi-grade activities, limited resources, mixed grades in individual classes in upper grade levels, could be more challenging for some kids, and lack of a foreign language. The school looks nicer on the inside than the outside. The outside could look a lot better if it was painted, had new concrete, and had some sort of decorations or trees outside. The things that I do like about the school are the PTA led activities, the teacher my daughter has this year (kindergarten), several teachers who go above and beyond to make the school a great place, safety, and convenience. I would encourage all parents to look into other schools in Anchorage in order to make an informed decision (we still chose base). There are several charter schools in Anchorage (many very close to base).

Mt. Spurr Elementary School
8414 McGuire Ave, Jber, AK  99506
Last modified Mt. Spurr Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mt. Spurr Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top