Corte Sierra Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 869 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 3, 2014

Corte is AWESOME! My oldest went there from K-5 and I have 3 other children that currently attend. Mr. Barnes is AMAZING with the staff and with parents. Corte is so amazing that we have over 100 children attending on variances! That speaks volumes to me. There is NO BETTER school in the West Valley!

Posted December 3, 2013

DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL. Mr. Barnes is incompetent, arrogant, hostile and combative. He does not care about your child, especially those with special needs. He was advised (by a school psychologist) that my child needed a new teacher and refused the class transfer. Mr. Barnes is a liability to the district and a disgrace to the teaching profession.

Posted August 27, 2013

Don't believe the hype. This school might have an A+ rating but all they're teaching is how to be great test takers. The school lacks leadership and Mr. Barnes (the principal) doesn't repond to suggestions to improve the school. Very disappointed; glad my children are no longer there.

Posted July 12, 2012

I ove the school it my child . The teachers and staff are very good.

Posted May 27, 2012

I did have some communications issues but were resolved quickly. My daughter had a variance for 2011-2012 (2nd Grade) and is going back this new year. Ms. Landon, a first year teacher, is awesome.

Posted March 1, 2012

All of my children have attended Corte Sierra and we love it. They just started Rosetta Stone and are teaching the kids Mandarin. The PTA is awesome and it is a A + school. !!

Posted August 4, 2010

I was VERY disappointed with this school. Mind you, I brought my kids over from Alhambra Traditional School knowing it wouldn't compare, but I didn't expect such poor communication from the teachers and such a bad attitude from the principal. I went in to speak with the principal about trying to get some input about HOW to get my children to succeed at this school, since the teachers would not keep me informed about anything....his response was to take my kids back to their old school. My oldest son I am doing just that....my younger son will be going to Palm Valley, where I hear it is much better as far as parent/teacher involvement.

Posted June 2, 2010

I had three children that attended this school (one from 1st grade to 5th grade) and you will not find a better public school than this. Unfortunately I had to move and my youngest will no longer be able to attend. He was in Mrs. Booras kindergarten class and she superb! 100% dedicated to her class in every way possible. There were so many activities and class celebrations throughout the year and the parents were very involved in making each one a success. Corte has serious school spirit and professional staff and principal. My kids thrived at this school. I did however have some issues with my son's 5th grade teacher but those issues were quickly handled by the principal. Compared to most schools in the Phoenix area, the school is racially diverse. I would highly recommend Corte Sierra. Woohaa Falcons!

Posted March 4, 2009

I would highly recommend Corte Sierra!! I currently have a 3rd grade daughter and she has academically grown so much over the last few months. The teachers are wonderful as well as the principal. Everyone keeps you very well informed and as a parent you can become as active as you'd like in your child's education. Technology and Reading are a huge part of this school.

Posted October 4, 2008

I am a teacher at Corte and I love the school. I have worked at other school districts but nothing compairs to the wonderful staff at Corte. Mr. Barnes is an awesome principal, PTSA is evnvoled in many activities, and I have the best parents. I give it a thumbs up!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 4, 2008

Would highly recommend Corte Sierra to all families! The environment is very welcoming and the staff truly cares about your sons/daughters academic, social and emotional needs. The principal is highly involved and stives each day to make everything run smoothly. The children are part of a huge family when they enter the Corte doors!

Posted December 30, 2007

Corte is an amazing school. I taught there the first two years it was opened, and it keeps getting better. Go Falcons-keep up the great work!

Posted August 6, 2007

I like the school, i think that parents should have a little more involvement, but the teachers and assistants are great about giving information about your childs progress!! The open door policy of the teachers works great for parents that want to know whats going on!!

Posted July 10, 2007

The reason for such a low score is due to the over crowding of this school. Almost 900 students is way to many. Not really great for the young ones. They need lots of one on one. I feel sorry for the teachers, they do their best but with that kind of crowd children have fallen behind. The office staff could be a little more helpful.

Posted November 20, 2006

I have had two children at Corte. Academically they are excelling, as they are socially. The character counts attitude has developed across the campus. Mr. Barnes and the other faculty members will have this an A+ school in no time. Standards are high, but kids always rise to expectations. I like the way technology is added into the learning process. My 4th grader shows me how to do powerpoint. I'm one of these people that believe the key to everything else is reading. I think the school is on the right tract in developing new ways for kids to read at higher levels while enjoying it at the same time. My one complaint is there doesn't seem to be enough history and science.

Posted May 30, 2006

My son attended Corte Sierra Elementary School from grades 3 to 5. His teachers were always very helpful and were always available to discuss any areas in which he needed assistance. The adminstrators constantly promoted school/team spirit with rallys and family/student activity events. I was very pleased in all aspects.

Posted September 22, 2005

My son is in Kindergarten and I am very impressed with his teacher. She is very caring and involved with her class. I have been volunteering for his classroom and there is some parent involvement.With the working parent atmosphere today it is difficult for lots of parents. No field trips scheduled yet but with only half a day to to work with it is very limiting. Excellent communication from his teacher Mrs Marcos she does an outstanding job of letting each parent know what is happening in the classroom and how the child is progressing. My only concern is the parking lot.

Posted September 14, 2005

I think they should make more available classes for pre-K and kindegarten. Parking needs some serious adjusting.

Posted May 10, 2005

So far I liked this school, The staff have been friendly and helpful. When i went to register her for kindergarten they made it very easy to do. I am impressed so far and i heard great things about the kindergarten teacher ms. paulson so that helps as a parent to know that. Kelly Gibson

Posted February 19, 2005

School is not good at all. PTSA is a joke it is a puppet of the principal.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 4% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Fax number
  • (623) 935-2108

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now