Corte Sierra Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted August 13, 2014

We sent two children to Corte Sierra for a total of 10 years. One of our kids had physical disabilities, the other one had learning difficulties. Both of our children received an excellent education, and were treated wonderfully. Mr. Barnes and his staff were always willing to meet and discuss our kids' special needs. It helped that we were able to respect their expertise and experience in devising special education programs. Some parents on here may think that they always know best, and they won't listen to someone with a different opinion. We did not always agree with the school district, but we were always able to work together for the best interest of our kids.

Posted August 13, 2014

Our son is starting his third year at Corte Sierra and we have had nothing but positive experiences. We emphasize the importance of education and stress hard work to achieve your goals and these are supported by the school. We live out of district and choose to drive a good distance each day to provide this positive learning experience for him. There is nothing more important than his education and it takes cooperation and team work between the school, parents and students for success to occur. The learning environment is very important and that starts with strong leadership. The principal is organized, innovative and cares about his students and staff. He works well with his staff and hires educators who are postive, encouraging and work hard to provide a safe and positive learning environment. The school has high standards and expectations for academics and behavior and holds students and parents accountable. Our son enjoys school, respects his teachers and feels safe. It takes more than good programs to make an excellent school, it takes a caring staff. That is why Corte Sierra has been recognized twice as an A+ school.

Posted August 4, 2014

Not happy. My child went to a charter school K-3rd grade. She received a great education there but the director was abusive to the students and staff so I put her in Corte. She really likes it but unfortunately 4th grade was a waste because she didn't learn anything. There were at least five extremely disruptive kids in her class, her teacher was out of the classroom preparing herself for her new position for the next school year and I rarely received any class work, tests or anything in her take home folder. There are a lot of students who are disrespectful and use foul language. This school is more interested in their image than anything else. If things are the same in 5th this year, we'll be leaving Corte. It's a shame the school you pay taxes for is incompetent.

Posted June 23, 2014

My daughter went to this school from K-5. The kinder teacher is amazing!! Miss Paulson is one of the best!! The school also have other amazing teachers as well. As far as the principal goes though he needs to retire!!! Over the years, I have to say that he has never shown up for any of the events that show that he supports the school. It's like it's a 8 to 3 job to him and then he is finished. see . He likes to be in control and it shows. In my son's new school the principal is very involved and even walks the kids across the cross walk when the crossing guard is out.. You would nevner see Mr. Barnes do that. If your child starts to have disicpline problems. He rather ship them out to a new school then to figure out why there is a problem with behavior. If you want a a principal that cares about his school and your child then this is not the school. Don't believe the hype!!

Posted June 22, 2014

As the parent of a special needs child, I am completely qualified to speak about the treatment of my special needs child by Mr. Barnes and others at Corte Sierra. Corte Sierra is NOT capable of providing an adequate education for special needs children. My son must repeat both kindergarten and first grade. Mr. Barnes and his staff fought with me tooth and nail, they refused to provide adequate support for my child. If you have a special needs child DO NOT send your child to this school!

Posted June 19, 2014

My daughter attended here - 2nd - 5th grade. We really liked the school and most teachers. I don't agree with the reviews about Mr. Barnes. Some parents think they know everything...they don't. I do wish the school took actual field trip and did something special for 5th graders. PTSA raises a lot of money and is very active - but students would benefit from getting OFF the school grounds.

Posted May 31, 2014

Corte Sierra is an A++ school and is fantastic. You won't be disappointed in the quality of teachers and administrators.

Posted February 3, 2014

Corte is AWESOME! My oldest went there from K-5 and I have 3 other children that currently attend. Mr. Barnes is AMAZING with the staff and with parents. Corte is so amazing that we have over 100 children attending on variances! That speaks volumes to me. There is NO BETTER school in the West Valley!

Posted December 3, 2013

DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL. Mr. Barnes is incompetent, arrogant, hostile and combative. He does not care about your child, especially those with special needs. He was advised (by a school psychologist) that my child needed a new teacher and refused the class transfer. Mr. Barnes is a liability to the district and a disgrace to the teaching profession.

Posted August 27, 2013

Don't believe the hype. This school might have an A+ rating but all they're teaching is how to be great test takers. The school lacks leadership and Mr. Barnes (the principal) doesn't repond to suggestions to improve the school. Very disappointed; glad my children are no longer there.

Posted July 12, 2012

I ove the school it my child . The teachers and staff are very good.

Posted May 27, 2012

I did have some communications issues but were resolved quickly. My daughter had a variance for 2011-2012 (2nd Grade) and is going back this new year. Ms. Landon, a first year teacher, is awesome.

Posted March 1, 2012

All of my children have attended Corte Sierra and we love it. They just started Rosetta Stone and are teaching the kids Mandarin. The PTA is awesome and it is a A + school. !!

Posted August 4, 2010

I was VERY disappointed with this school. Mind you, I brought my kids over from Alhambra Traditional School knowing it wouldn't compare, but I didn't expect such poor communication from the teachers and such a bad attitude from the principal. I went in to speak with the principal about trying to get some input about HOW to get my children to succeed at this school, since the teachers would not keep me informed about anything....his response was to take my kids back to their old school. My oldest son I am doing just that....my younger son will be going to Palm Valley, where I hear it is much better as far as parent/teacher involvement.

Posted June 2, 2010

I had three children that attended this school (one from 1st grade to 5th grade) and you will not find a better public school than this. Unfortunately I had to move and my youngest will no longer be able to attend. He was in Mrs. Booras kindergarten class and she superb! 100% dedicated to her class in every way possible. There were so many activities and class celebrations throughout the year and the parents were very involved in making each one a success. Corte has serious school spirit and professional staff and principal. My kids thrived at this school. I did however have some issues with my son's 5th grade teacher but those issues were quickly handled by the principal. Compared to most schools in the Phoenix area, the school is racially diverse. I would highly recommend Corte Sierra. Woohaa Falcons!

Posted March 4, 2009

I would highly recommend Corte Sierra!! I currently have a 3rd grade daughter and she has academically grown so much over the last few months. The teachers are wonderful as well as the principal. Everyone keeps you very well informed and as a parent you can become as active as you'd like in your child's education. Technology and Reading are a huge part of this school.

Posted October 4, 2008

I am a teacher at Corte and I love the school. I have worked at other school districts but nothing compairs to the wonderful staff at Corte. Mr. Barnes is an awesome principal, PTSA is evnvoled in many activities, and I have the best parents. I give it a thumbs up!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 4, 2008

Would highly recommend Corte Sierra to all families! The environment is very welcoming and the staff truly cares about your sons/daughters academic, social and emotional needs. The principal is highly involved and stives each day to make everything run smoothly. The children are part of a huge family when they enter the Corte doors!

Posted December 30, 2007

Corte is an amazing school. I taught there the first two years it was opened, and it keeps getting better. Go Falcons-keep up the great work!

Posted August 6, 2007

I like the school, i think that parents should have a little more involvement, but the teachers and assistants are great about giving information about your childs progress!! The open door policy of the teachers works great for parents that want to know whats going on!!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (623) 935-2108

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now