La Joya Community High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1751 students

Posted July 18, 2012

this school is very bad thats why im moving and its my going to be my second year and i am beging my mom not to make me go back the kids constantly make fun of kids always start fight and the teachers dont care itt looks good from the outside but very very very bad inside dont judge a school by its cover ihatteee iiittttt hate it hate it if there was zero stars thats what i would put

Posted May 21, 2012

This school is ran poorly. The school counselors, social workers and administration do not follow up on phone messages or email asking quesions or expressing concerns. Dress code issues have always been an issue and a huge distraction for the students. The administrator even lost his job this year. The online information is always down and lacks valuable information. The calendar is not even up to date, while it even posted a day off on the wrong day. I have a sophmore at this school and will be moving to get him into another school for his junior year.

Posted April 26, 2012

I have a daughter going to La Joya., I must say over all she has loved going to to this school. She plays many sports and also in band. She take AP class and advance class. The only bad thing she says, is the teachers don't seem to have time to answer question in the classroom, and the office people are snots, and rude, also it is next to impossible to see the concealer. She feels most the problems are from class clowns and students that do not care.This school cares about their discipline/punishment policy, but then they don't always enforce it. As far as my opinion, I have had a good experience with the teachers and school admen. I do agree with not enough involvement form other parents and the students in general do not have the school sprite in anything unless the are part of the activity. This is so sad I must say. I truly believe if the students and parents would take pride in the school and get involved, and show some school spirit this could be one of the top notch school in Arizona. They have the recipe but not cooking it right. We all can learn from our mistakes, and make improvements. The let work together, and make this best dang school in the west valley.

Posted February 1, 2012

This school cares more about their discipline/punishment policy then they do about the students. They have some good teachers there but not enough to show an impact. The Basketball program is a joke. I would not recommend this school to anyone. Good thing the district is open and you have a choice to not send your child there.

Posted September 15, 2011

I am a staff member at La Joya for the past 8 years and I have watched our school go through an amazing transition. Students used to try and leave La Joya for Tolleson or Westview, but now the trend has reversed. Scores are on the rise, graduation requirements now line up with University admission, very little staff turnover, and tons of good kids moving on to tech/community colleges/universities. We are working hard to change the culture of Avondale/Cashion- College is the new expectation...
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 8, 2011

As a student that was going to go to University High School at Tolleson, but didn't due to transportation issues, I am impressed by La Joya. I had heard so many bad things about La Joya, I went in expecting the worst. I have just finished my freshmen year with many great things to say. All of my teachers were caring and challenged us. Yeah, overall the sports aren't so good, but the students do have fun. I was on one of the teams. Too much pressure on sports is a bad thing. All in all, it's up to the students to pursue the opportunities given at La Joya. They have many clubs and the help is there if they need it. There are students who don't listen and don't care but that's up to them. Sophomore year, I'm taking AP classes and advanced classes. The one thing I do not like is the Literacy program that all 9/10 graders have to take. It s unnecessary, and most advanced students do not need it! I d rather take an elective but I can t. I m looking forward to finishing high school at La Joya. GO LOBOS!

Posted August 31, 2010

They are more concerned with rules than they are education but its more the fault of the kids there which are so disrespectful. The school likes to hire teachers from all over some are good, some are terrible teachers! Plus the school is very unhelpful to some programs and do not understand and that is not fair to everyone involved.

Posted February 18, 2010

This school does what it needs. The student dont want to listen or some dont care. This school will change that...

Posted January 19, 2010

Like many new schools La Joya experienced growing pains, however, it has built a solid foundation of academic success, discipline, and athletics. Expect this school to blossom soon.

Posted November 30, 2009

There are a mountain of problems at this school, such as overall teacher quality (there a few good ones, but a few), no good elective choices, a promising athletic program that has never thrived because of a bad atheltic director, and a very low school spirit that results in students not caring about their school. I can say this about this La Joya because I spent all 4 years at that school. If your new to Avondale and looking for a new school to place your child, try Westview.

Posted November 19, 2009

My son is a freshman this year, I have on several occasions had to email his teachers and I sat with each one of them at Parent/Teacher Conferences and talked to them about my child, there-teaching style and curriculum, I was very impressed with each one of them. They answered all my questions, responded to my emails quickly and all them want to collaborate with me as a parent to educate my child and prepare him for his future. Thank you La Joya Freshman Teachers for a job well done!

Posted August 14, 2008

I think all of you are being quite unfair on this school. There are some very bright students here and they are thriving. This school has an excellent academic and sports program, and the teachers genuinely care about the outcome of the students here. I'm not saying this because I just work here, but because I work with severely disabled children, and I've seen teachers with a real compassion here. I think you really shouldn't say anything about a person, place, or thing until you've witnessed it yourself. I love this school and wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Posted June 23, 2008

What can i say!? I really think the teachers don't care. I spoke to the counselor, teachers and try to do everything to help my daughter to get her in the right track ( and like they said parents need to get involve) i had a meeting with the counselor and teachers and the sad part only one of the teacher showd up. They are I don't think they know what there doing.

Posted April 9, 2008

The teachers who teach at La Joya care a great deal about the students! While some are emergency certified (the minimal requirement to teach in AZ) they still are approved by the state to teach and have a college degree (typically in the subject they are teaching). I think it is important for parents to realize that until a letter is sent home to parents about what teachers are not fully certified, many students have no idea! This is because we do so much training prior to setting foot in a classroom and we do continuous professional development.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 26, 2008

I find the negative reviews from parents unfair when very few of them actually seem to get involved. We attended parent/teacher conferences last week and I was shocked to see how few parents actually bothered to attend. Many of the teachers made the commitment to stay late for conferences, yet their efforts were wasted because no one bothered to attend.

Posted January 16, 2008

La Joya in general has a pretty poor academic program. Compared to other Arizona schools La Joya could probably considered pretty advanced though which is sad. However, the advanced and AP classes provided by La Joya do infact have some great teachers that know what they are doing. My son was very unsatisfied with his teachers before he was placed in AP and advanced courses, but now that he is in them, he actually feels he is challenged and is learning something. The La Joya administration could use a bit of work but what couldn't. The counselors try their best I'm sure but the system that is set up is just not working. Students fill out green pieces of paper and drop them off at the councelor desk in hopes to get a meeting and are lucky if they are ever called in. The sports programs are great

Posted December 31, 2007

I love the school because of the teachers they really teach really well. and the kids at the school arent so mean but they except who you are. But if you get a old teacher they might be a little stricted than the young teachers i dont know why but they are. but i do like this school because they helped me when i needed it.

Posted October 29, 2007

I think La Joya is average in the way of academics seeing how AZ is probably the lowest in the nation, counselers are unhelpful, I even got a letter stating that one teacher isn't even certified to teach how ever she was one of my daughters teachers and I had to fight with the councelors to have my daughter removed from her class, I think the sports teachers could use more support, to keep our children from being hurt due to lack of training.

Posted July 26, 2007

My child was very unsatisfied wit this school.

Posted June 11, 2007

I would not recommend this school for any parent. It falls well below the grade and they put staff first. Don't expect good things. Graduation was a complete disaster as well as the dance recital. This school needs help with its Public Relations problem. Parent of graduate.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (623) 478-7225

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now