9-12 & Ungraded
Avondale, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,751

Posted July 18, 2012
this school is very bad thats why im moving and its my going to be my second year and i am beging my mom not to make me go back the kids constantly make fun of kids always start fight and the teachers dont care itt looks good from the outside but very very very bad inside dont judge a school by its cover ihatteee iiittttt hate it hate it if there was zero stars thats what i would put

Posted May 21, 2012
This school is ran poorly. The school counselors, social workers and administration do not follow up on phone messages or email asking quesions or expressing concerns. Dress code issues have always been an issue and a huge distraction for the students. The administrator even lost his job this year. The online information is always down and lacks valuable information. The calendar is not even up to date, while it even posted a day off on the wrong day. I have a sophmore at this school and will be moving to get him into another school for his junior year.

Posted April 26, 2012
I have a daughter going to La Joya., I must say over all she has loved going to to this school. She plays many sports and also in band. She take AP class and advance class. The only bad thing she says, is the teachers don't seem to have time to answer question in the classroom, and the office people are snots, and rude, also it is next to impossible to see the concealer. She feels most the problems are from class clowns and students that do not care.This school cares about their discipline/punishment policy, but then they don't always enforce it. As far as my opinion, I have had a good experience with the teachers and school admen. I do agree with not enough involvement form other parents and the students in general do not have the school sprite in anything unless the are part of the activity. This is so sad I must say. I truly believe if the students and parents would take pride in the school and get involved, and show some school spirit this could be one of the top notch school in Arizona. They have the recipe but not cooking it right. We all can learn from our mistakes, and make improvements. The let work together, and make this best dang school in the west valley.

Posted February 01, 2012
This school cares more about their discipline/punishment policy then they do about the students. They have some good teachers there but not enough to show an impact. The Basketball program is a joke. I would not recommend this school to anyone. Good thing the district is open and you have a choice to not send your child there.

Posted September 15, 2011
I am a staff member at La Joya for the past 8 years and I have watched our school go through an amazing transition. Students used to try and leave La Joya for Tolleson or Westview, but now the trend has reversed. Scores are on the rise, graduation requirements now line up with University admission, very little staff turnover, and tons of good kids moving on to tech/community colleges/universities. We are working hard to change the culture of Avondale/Cashion- College is the new expectation...

Posted June 08, 2011
As a student that was going to go to University High School at Tolleson, but didn't due to transportation issues, I am impressed by La Joya. I had heard so many bad things about La Joya, I went in expecting the worst. I have just finished my freshmen year with many great things to say. All of my teachers were caring and challenged us. Yeah, overall the sports aren't so good, but the students do have fun. I was on one of the teams. Too much pressure on sports is a bad thing. All in all, it's up to the students to pursue the opportunities given at La Joya. They have many clubs and the help is there if they need it. There are students who don't listen and don't care but that's up to them. Sophomore year, I'm taking AP classes and advanced classes. The one thing I do not like is the Literacy program that all 9/10 graders have to take. It s unnecessary, and most advanced students do not need it! I d rather take an elective but I can t. I m looking forward to finishing high school at La Joya. GO LOBOS!

La Joya Community High School 3

Posted August 31, 2010
They are more concerned with rules than they are education but its more the fault of the kids there which are so disrespectful. The school likes to hire teachers from all over some are good, some are terrible teachers! Plus the school is very unhelpful to some programs and do not understand and that is not fair to everyone involved.

Posted March 15, 2010

Posted February 18, 2010
This school does what it needs. The student dont want to listen or some dont care. This school will change that...

La Joya Community High School 0

Posted January 19, 2010
Like many new schools La Joya experienced growing pains, however, it has built a solid foundation of academic success, discipline, and athletics. Expect this school to blossom soon.

La Joya Community High School
11650 W. Whyman Avenue, Avondale, AZ  85353
Last modified La Joya Community High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
La Joya Community High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top