Public charter
Avondale, AZ
After care: No

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 27, 2015
Not enough of the correct type of homework. The teachers lecture and the parents do the actual teaching.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 27, 2015
Of course without grit how could these kids survive the mental demands and severe culture shock.

Legacy Traditional School-Avondale 1

Posted August 27, 2015
The whole thing is a farce! They bring your kid into an overcrowded classroom with a student to teacher ratio of 30/1. The teachers act like they are college professors standing on their soapboxes and lecturing to the kids, yes even the little kids. Then they demand behavioral perfection and have zero tolerance of any child-like behavior. It starts with taking away recess time and progresses to expulsion. The child is expected to sink or swim in the overly aggressive curriculum and all the while the school is hoping and planning for your child to fail. Why you ask? Because it is in their corporate charter to secure a certain percentage of government funding for the tutoring of all the failing students under the Title 1/No child left behind act. Yes just attend the schools curriculum night and they will tell you all about how the school teaches specifically to the top of the class but don't fret.. good old title 1 is waiting in the wings to prop up your failing children! In short the only thing this school has to offer is the safety from the gang banger mentality among the students. In this school you don't have to fear your child being picked on by the other kids, no they are too concerned with being targeted by the teachers and the principal...

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 27, 2015
Yes, it's respect the staff or pay the consequences. The kids dare not be respectful.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 27, 2015
Plain and simple, it's all a numbers game. They could care less if your kid is failing. They take NO responsibility for the child's failure but are quick to accept all the credit when they succeed.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 27, 2015
Absolutely not! The words encourage, nurture, and develop do not appear anywhere in their documentation, not anywhere. This school is very rigid with zero personal interaction beyond lecture and punishment. They have NO compassion for the kids, in fact they will call the parents in and give you a warning if your child expresses any strong emotions in school.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted August 27, 2015
Honesty and integrity is a 2 way street. How can you demand honesty when you are not being honest with the families and students. The kids see the teachers in the same light as an adult would see any authoritative figure in a military or a prison setting. Essentially they are powerless to be an individuals and must conform or pay the severe consequences.

Legacy Traditional School-Avondale 2

Posted July 02, 2015
This school wouldn't even do what I asked. I asked for a 504 plan for my child's medical condition. I asked for evaluation. I put this in writing. THEY NEVER DID IT. Federal law states they were suppose to. Instead they told me my child was a failure and asked me to find him a new school. So I did...and I took both of my kids out. A few months later my son was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, ADD and ODD...after he attempted to commit suicide for feeling like he was a failure because he was asked to leave this school. I found out after the fact that I could have made a complaint to the school board because they never followed thru with the requests I made for getting him help. I never said anything to anyone about how they didn't even try to help him. The only reason they told me they wanted him to leave is because he didn't do homework, but he could pass any of their tests with A's and they didn't understand how he could do that. If your child will follow all the rules and do their homework you should be fine. but if you have a child that struggles in school you can bet they will be asked to leave before long.

Legacy Traditional School-Avondale 4

Posted March 17, 2015
The curriculum is good. I love Saxon and Spalding. I love the school uniform idea too, but I wish they would not allow jeans. Jeans are too different in styles and colors and I see kids wear "skinny" jeans or jeans with holes and start bully other kids in uniform pants that they are not stylish.

Legacy Traditional School-Avondale 5

Posted January 08, 2015
Reading the prior reviews....this school has tutoring coming out of every direction. They go above and beyond to provide the resources to help your child succeed. It does require that as a parent you stay on top of assignments, due dates etc. My daughter has attended this school from day one and she loves it. They offer so much to parents and students. Just my two cents. They are disciplined and expect their students to be courteous and mindful of others and apply themselves 100%. I personally don't see anything wrong with that. Just my two cents....

12320 W Van Buren St, Avondale, AZ  85323
Last modified Legacy Traditional School-Avondale is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Legacy Traditional School-Avondale Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top