Garden Lakes Elementary School 4

Posted August 24, 2014
My daughter is in 2nd grade and has been attending GL since Kindergarten. The teachers and staff are wonderful and extremely friendly, and you can tell that they genuinely care about the kids. I do have several complaints about areas that could be improved. First, I do not feel the kids are challenged enough. My daughter has never brought home much homework at all, and when she does, it takes her less than five minutes to complete. I feel that when a child is advanced for their age, they should be given assignments that challenge them. Second, it seemed like any papers my daughter brought home were just shoved in her backpack. There was a lack of organization when it came to bringing home important notes, homework, etc. However, my biggest complaint is when picking up my child after school. All of the age groups are released at same time and it is absolute chaos. Daily, I encounter inconsiderate parents who short-cut in line or park in the no-parking zone and completely exit their vehicle, holding up the entire line for everyone else. I feel the school would benefit if different grades released at varying times, and also enforced the no-parking rule.

Posted September 07, 2013
One of the best schools considering this is the West Side. Less than 50 percent Hispanic. The school is located next to the affluent or more desirable sub-divisions called 'Garden Lakes'. Top school !!! Not many kids are on the breakfast plan so imagine the families are more educated and have resources to provide for their kids.

Posted August 22, 2013
My daughter has been attending this school since 1st grade. We really enjoy the staff and the level of expertise the teachers offer to the students regarding their education. My daughter has had some amazing teachers namely Mrs. Kuglar and Mrs. McNamara among the others that have made such a positive impact on her social and academic life. I do get a bit concerned with the rally song being McDonald's, McDonald s, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut, but it gets the children s attention and that is the goal. I would appreciate an affordable before and after school program to offer more structure for my student (Desiree Morrison) and believe it would be a benefit to our community overall in the long run for parents to utilize such services. Best regards, Amanda N. Baird

Posted November 07, 2012
Garden Lakes Elementary is an excellent school, I've had multiple family members and now my own children go to that school. I've always had such a great experience with the school, administration staff and school aides. Each teacher my child has had were very creative and patient. I'm very pleased and will keep my child in this school

Posted January 30, 2012
Excellent teachers but they should cut out most of the Wednesday half-days and study. Too many teacher breaks.

Garden Lakes Elementary School 2

Posted January 13, 2012
Why is my child coming home singing songs about Mc Donald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Taco bell and so on, and raving about Ronald Mc Donald visiting the school. Do these companies pay the PESD for covert marketing techniques? Uh...hello! This is a school, they should be teaching our kids...yes YOUR kids...about staying healthy and eating healthily, not how great it is to eat cheap and poor quality food!

Posted October 28, 2011
Okay I was class of 2009 and I was proud to say that I enjoyed my time at Garden Lakes. I was active in several clubs and had tons of fun and friends. My last year or two, upper graders started to have some problems. Fights broke out every once in a while, gossip turned bad about everything. The whole thing was stupid considering we were only 8th graders. One of the Reviews here say they are being "punished too hard"? Excuse me? Garden Lakes works hard to keep kids from Kindegarten to 8th graders safe. I don't think you understand why it's important to prevent fights and behavior like this. It's good that they can tell which groups of people have more trouble, but they'll never JUDGE. They want you to succeed. (:

Garden Lakes Elementary School 2

Posted July 06, 2011
i have nothing much to say for this schooll there was fights all the timee.most the teachers was way too harsh.The skool aloso puniched way tooo hard 4 things that had nothing to do with skool or there bisness! i was constintly being sent to the office 4 things i had nothing to do with. they judge you by who u hang out with.

Posted November 12, 2010
I attended the school's Veterans Day celebration yesterday and am still in awe! What a beautiful spirit of hope on this campus. The full-day experience began with a gathering on the lawn of all staff, students and hundreds of parents and veterans. The choir and the band filled the air with beautiful music and brought many a tear to those in attendance. Truly a community experience. Veterans remained all day on campus speaking in many "breakout" sessions. Primary students marched in a parade around campus as the older students cheered them on. Pictures and posters of loved ones who have served or are serving covered every window and wall. The school was draped in red, white and blue. Lunch was picnic style with hot dogs, apple pie and ice cream. The administration conducted their weekly Sing and Read with the younger kids before the end of the day dedicating this week's time to patriotic songs. Students were bustling around campus two hours prior to the day's beginning to decorate, organize and assist guests and, in the afternoon, they cleaned the campus. Staff members truly had this event organized well. What a fantastic experience! Patriotism lives on!

Posted April 27, 2010
People that complain about safety regarding the lack of fence on 107th Ave are crazy! The only time your kids are out on the field they are supervised, and only upper level grades are out there! Teach your kids not to run into traffic and trust teachers to watch you kids, they do, not one death or injury yet! After school activities are limited but they are just that after school. If your kids like sports let them go to the YMCA or Young Champions this school focuses on education and learning. The AIMS results show that it is working! We all understand that after school sports do help with social growth but they are an Elementary School and they are trying to make it better. Upper grades have been doing stuff at the high school and they have music programs still! Sports are not learning! Results dont lie! Excelling!

Garden Lakes Elementary School
10825 W. Garden Lakes Parkway, Avondale, AZ  85323
Last modified Garden Lakes Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garden Lakes Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews.