Verrado Middle School

Public | K-8 & ungraded

Posted June 30, 2014

VMS is a great school, my Autistic son goes to this school and they bend over backwards to help him. He hated school, he was in the Dysart School District and they did everything they could to get rid of him. He is now on the honor roll and flourishing.

Posted January 3, 2014

I attended Verrado Middle from 2011-2013. After moving from Buckeye for a better school, we found Verrado and we liked it here. Teachers were nice; one of my reading teachers would be extremely helpful and generous. Counselors would do the right thing. There's almost nothing bad about this school. This is rated a Highly Performing school, but I would say this should be rated Excelling. Now I currently attend Verrado High and I miss Verrado Middle a lot. If I could flashback to my time in VMS I would. Thanks a lot Verrado Middle!

Posted August 31, 2013

Our Goodyear neighborhood is zoned for VMS. I think that sometimes they forget that some of the students live in Goodyear and not down the street. It is a bit of a hassle at times! I also do not like that my kids make friends with students who will mostly attend VHS and they will attend MHS. I don't think it is fair that just because Verrado did not sell enough homes that my children have to be separated from their elementary buds, then they make new friends, then are separated once again from a majority of their friends in HS. HS is hard enough. There are times when I have wasted many gallons of gas in a week just picking my kids up or dropping them off in Verrado for before/after school events,performances,visiting friends, etc. We like Verrado, but it is not worth the commute. We have to limit our children's involvement due to the fact that we can not always run back and forth to Verrado. It is not fair to students in our neighborhood. I will be requesting a variance once our younger kids go to middle school unfortunately, they will not guarantee that you will be granted a variance every year, so my kids might have to readjust either way. SAD! LESD needs to change this!!!!!!!

Posted May 27, 2013

verrado middle school is a very great school. it has very nice teachers, good kids, and a very good work environment.

Posted April 8, 2013

This school is the worse of the worse!! If you fit the image, you'll be ok. They hear what they want, say as they want it, have no genuine concerns about students on campus. They are in total denial about reality and if it does not concern them, them do not become concerned. A few of the teachers are HUGE hypocrites, they cuss at the students and there display of role modeling is lacking. Again, NO one cares!! They have no communication skills, and when talking to students, they pretty much speak as to what they want to hear verses what the student is saying. As for the education aspect of it, I recommend you go to another school, district, this school is only an image!

Posted February 8, 2013

WARNING!! Not impressed!! Student Advisor, Teachers, Principal, and Asst. Super... WHAT A JOKE! You get nowhere! They have dropped the ball with my child repeatedly and they are worthless at being leaders of our children. It took 6 weeks to finally get a meeting...I had been trying to communicate repeatedly with the teachers that my child was failing and struggling with school because of his learning disability( he has no behavior issues)...teachers didn't care...just kept sending him to clean the cafeteria for detention. They gave him constant negative/ defeating feedback all day... My older child is the average child that 'blends' in so there is no problem with the teachers because they don't have to do anything besides collecting a paycheck... There is no neutral ground or authority you can go to... They're all buddies... No common sense in any of them that we have dealt with... I have never left any sort of feedback before but felt others should be warned.

Posted October 21, 2011

We recently moved to this community. This school is one of the best that my children have ever attended. The principal truly cares about each and every student and the staff have really high expectations. My son and daughter both felt welcome the minute we got here and say how nice the teachers and kids are. It is wonderful to know that they are now learning in such a warm and inviting place. It seems to me if parents or kids are unhappy, they should look to a charter school in the area or get involved themselves. I have found this school to be caring and great for MY children.

Posted July 22, 2011

There is a schism between the performance and atmosphere of this school. Although you cant argue with the performance, you may ask attending children about how they feel about continuing to attend this school. There is a significant segregation between students that are accepted, and those that feel bullied. There are also predominantly newer/younger teachers that do not fit the conventional mold in appearance,actions, or attitudes. This is a great facility in a very good district, but has issues to overcome.

Posted July 17, 2011

After the bad experience with the administration and front office staff during my daughter;s eighth grade year, I am choosing not to send my son to Verrado Middle School next year. I have gone through the open enrollment process with another district. The adminsitration here forgets that a school is a customer service entity and parents and students are their customers. I can say that there are some good teachers, but the turnover rate here should open the eyes of the district administration. Why are so many teachers leaving, and why are so many parents choosing to send their children elsewhere?

Posted June 8, 2011

I just promoted from this school and at the beginning I used to love it! But once I got to the 7th grade things began to change. During the year I started with five teachers, and at the end, I still had five, but only two of them were the same that I started with. The school lacks consistency, which effects every single student. Also, the principal, and 8th grade student advisor, don't care what happens to students, but just to make sure that their paycheck goes in. Budget was cut in all the wrong places and effected the students more than the teachers. Although a rough 7th grade year, once I got to the 8th grade things were amazing in the classroom, but the administration got even worse. Overall, an okay school.

Posted May 23, 2011

Don't let the pictures fool you. This school spends more money on electronics and they still give the students terrible lunches. I heard one girl barely eats at her school because they don't give her the basic and good nutrition she needs. Also, they have to pay 2.50 for each horrible lunch. This school is very cheap. I wouldn't recommend it.

Posted May 8, 2011

My child love this school. She looks forward to going to school. The teachers are great. There are a lot of extracurricular activities and also a decent amount of homework too. She only has one more year to go, but the previous two have been great.

Posted March 10, 2011

Been dealing with this school for the past 7 yrs and truth is, despite the leadership changes, it still has some of the same problems now that it had the day it opened!! Not very welcoming and one or two office personnel need training in "customer service." Not at all thrilled with the principal - she could use training in problem solving and conflict resolution. Some excellent teachers, thank goodness! Archaic practice of placing students on stage in cafeteria for lunch detention still in place. Lots of room for improvement but don't hold your breath. If past action is any indication.... the status quo will be maintained.

Posted May 11, 2010

Our son attends 6 grade here and he is happy at Verrado Middle School. That says a lot about a good school. We have got to known responsible and well appointed teachers over this school year. We are looking forward to the 7 grade set up now and are very positive about having our son attending here.

Posted April 15, 2010

Everyone complains about the Admin., but know one does anything about it? This school is lacking guidance and it starts from the top. The superintendent has made a joke out of this district and it goes down hill from there. We use to be 'THE' district to come to now we are running from it! We obviously need new governing board members to see what's really going on in this 'JOKE' of a district. Nothing is getting done here...nothing!

Posted March 9, 2010

Excellent! The staff is very friendly, all of the reception staff is inviting, encouraging. Great School!

Posted September 30, 2009

I was new to the Verrado community in 6th grade and I was just filling in. When my academic teachers first saw me, they didn't even bother to say hello or even smile. But as I went with the flow I started to be more appreciated which made me a little curious. Now I'm in 7th grade and have all the answers for my 6th grade questions.

Posted July 26, 2009

Verrado is a great school with many opprtuinities, but the staff really don't give full attention to their students, and don't get involed in school conflicts enough, and should keep their focuses more on the students and not trying to improve their image of a second rank school.

Posted July 25, 2009

I was a 7th. grader at VMS and Honestly I can say that most of the teachers are always there to help hmm but Not all of them ! Every time more than one person person needs help the teacher will have them go ask another class mate,wich in most cases lead to the whole class just having their own 'person conversations' ! VMS is yes a Beautiful school and the lunch staff is great and always conversating with the students ! Student advisers could be a little more helpfull and communicate with us students more offten ! Next year I will not be atteneding VMS and im actually really glad just besides the fact that im leaving most of my friends ! Now im just looking forward to a new school year at L.Thomas Heck Middle school ! !

Posted May 12, 2009

I have few complaints concerning this school. My major complaint is with the Connections Math Program. I have spoken to at least 30 parents and have not received a single positive response. The workbooks the kids work out of do not show examples of the homework assigned. Most parents have not done the math they are assigned for several years and do not know the method they are using to teach. You are expected to rely on your 6th graders note taking talents to help you teach them. This eliminates a valuable resource (parental help) for students who are poor readers, writers or note takers. I love the school otherwise, but would move my child if I could find a school in the district not using this program.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 28%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

20880 W. Main Street