Freedom Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 876 students

Science, Technology, Engineering & Math Focus

Posted February 13, 2014

This is the rudest school I have ever walked into! The principles are ver rude, and with the front desk staff! My daughter is not happy at this school although she does enjoy her third grade teacher! My children will not be attending this school next year because of the unwelcomed feeling we have got each time we have entered into the school. I went to the front desk and waited what seemed like an eternity waiting to be acknowledged from the staff. I was ignored each time I tried to speak to the front desk staff.

Posted December 5, 2013

Well, where should I begin. All of my kids have attended this school for the last 6 or so years. About 90 percent of the teachers are awesome! The principal on the other hand is horrible. I have had several teachers make inappropriate comments to my children and she always defends them, even when they admit it. Everyone is on this bully kick lately, maybe they should teach the teachers/administrators not to bully kids.

Posted August 30, 2013

This school has some amazing teachers that is the only reason why my kids attend this school. The administration on the other hand completely stinks! The administration does not respect nor care about parent involvement. Parents only seem to be a burden. This school has the potential of being a 5 star school if it were run by different administrators!

Posted August 26, 2013

My son attends kindergarten and I love his teacher she is awesome at what she does. All staff is amazing thank you guys all for all your hard work!

Posted July 24, 2013

I have been sending my children to this school for two years now, and I am very happy with Freedom. My children enjoy going to school. Some parents tend to blame the school for their child's failures. Parents need to take an active role in their child's education. For the ones who think they can drop off their kids for 7 hours a day and expect miracles to happen is going to be disappointed. Stop bashing the school, it's a great one. And FYI,to a previous poster, you don't spell principal "principle". That is a word with a different meaning.

Posted March 18, 2013

I love this school! Being military we have lived everywhere and I know a great school when I see one! This is it! I have a child in the 6th grade with an IEP & speech therapy & I have a child in 8th grade. They are both really happy. I feel a part of a team with the teachers and the staff. You can trully see at Freedom that every child's success is important. All are very friendly and supportive. The best activity was when they invited about 8 astronomers with their huge telescopes to the school for a stargazing night it was incredible! I would recommend this school to everyone!

Posted November 8, 2012

I am very disappointed with Freedom Elementary School thus far. The principal is unreceptive to concerns. Parents are not welcomed on the campus. I have received dirty looks from administration when on campus with a visitor badge. Opportunities for parent involvement have been offered for afterschool activities but I am not inclined to attend because of the negative atmostphere on this campus. My child's teacher does not seem to want me in the classroom ever.

Posted August 13, 2012

Out of all the years that my kids have been in school, I have had by far the worst experince here. If you dont want your child to to be4 successful and just put into a class thats over crowded, Freedom is the place to be. Some of the teachers had no problems with updating me with my kids grades and others where very rude. Even the principle can be a little nasty. There needs to be some changes with this school starting with the principle. This will be my 3rd post for this school. It keeps getting deleted.

Posted April 18, 2011

my daughter has been in this school since second grade and now she is in sixth grade.. she really loves it and so do i.. the only thing i don't like is that they will be charging for full day kindergarden this year...

Posted February 7, 2010

This is my second year teaching at Freedom. I came from a great school district in the Midwest. When I decided to move to AZ and got a job interview here, I looked on this website. There were not very good reviews. I almost didn't accept the job offer. I am very glad I did now! This district is great! They are incorporating great programs that are proven to work in other school districts. The administration is very involved and respects the opinions of the teaching staff. I feel very supported and love the environment at Freedom. I do not know how the school was over two years ago. So any old reviews should be ignored, because this school is great!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 7, 2010

We moved here and I was so disappointed with this school. The staff at the school is very unprofessional. They have no organization and they do not communicate with the parents at all. My daughter has missed out on several opportunities with sports because the school does not provided handouts and instead relies on the children to relay the info they get from announcements. My daughter tells me she cannot even hear the announcements because the kids are not under control. The school is extremely over populated with 35+ per classroom. The education here is well below par. My daughter has learned the material being taught years ago in another school. I recommend not sending your child to this school. I am trying to get my daughter into a better one.

Posted November 18, 2009

My son has been at Freedom since the Spring of 2009 and he is learning a lot. His teacher at the end of last year and his teacher this school year are very talented. They communicate well with parents and provide many opportunities for students to excell. The PTO at the school is very involved and I really appreciate all of their efforts. The leadership at the school is top notch.

Posted October 31, 2009

Not cohesive learning taking place from year to year. Lack of discipline and vision.

Posted April 29, 2009

My daughter is learning far beyond the requirements of her grade. Aside from her scholastic achievement, she has become extremely well mannered and respects others. While we reinforce this behavior at home, she has learned most of it from her wonderful teacher ms. ptek as well as the many other supervisors that know her by name. I think it is wonderful

Posted January 19, 2009

I am extremely dissatisfied with this school. We got a note home from my daughters teacher saying we were being notified by the state she didnt have her teaching license yet. This is the first time ever he has gotten such poor grades and constant detention. The only thing consistant with this school is its lack for following procedures, lack of good communication with parents and sub-par teachers. I had to change teachers, and now have decided to move him schools altogether. M son gets hurt, they dont call, my son gets detention, they dont call. I have to call multiple times before I finally just go down there to get answers. It seems to me this school needs some serious help, stay away, far away.

Posted October 15, 2008

My daughters attended Freedom Elementary last school year and learned nothing. They now attend a catholic school in Goodyear and are having a wonderful experience. I also taught at Freedom and miss it at all. I currently teach at a charter school in Surprise and the children say please and thank you. That didn't happen at Freedom. Thank you, A parent and a teacher!!!!!

Posted July 5, 2008

I am very unhappy with this school. My son has attended for 2 years. He is way above average as the school has tested him repeatedly and told us. They let a whole year pass and did nothing to challenge him. It has been almost a wasted two years for him. He is very bored at school and wants to learn new things. They just focus so much on the below average kids with the 'no child left behind' law that they could care less about the above average kids. Doesn't make sense. We chose to send our son to a charter school this next year. Stay clear from Freedom if you want your child to be challenged!!

Posted May 17, 2008

This school lacks professional and an overall understanding of the quality of education a child truly deserves to receive. Most of the teachers are average, with a few outstanding ones who usually leave after just one year. The administration is way below par and handles issues in an inappropriate and untimely manner. If there was another option for you, I would choose to enroll your students in another school. If you are a teacher reading this, then perhaps you are one that will help the school become better but, from what I have seen on this campus, no one person can make a difference.

Posted March 28, 2008

My children and I have had nothing but good experiences at Freedom. Its tough being in a neighborhood growing as fast it is. Teachers and staff have done a great job.

Posted March 26, 2008

This is the first year my son has attended Freedom and so we are very happy with this school. The teachers that I have met and worked with have been awesome. My son is very happy with the the learning environment that this school has provided him. Things will only get better from here. This school has been able to 'keep it together' during it growing pains. I think that this school will just get better and better.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Cynthia Robinson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Computer animation
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Youngkers High School