Sundance Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 799 students

Posted September 19, 2014

This school makes enrolling into school....hassle free. Moved here and had to enroll my kids into a school year that had already began for quite sometime and we felt welcomed. My kids like their teachers (thank God) and made friends quickly. The ladies in the front helped me out with a ton of info I needed catching up on and well I'm very happy with this school.

Posted July 16, 2014

my school is sundance elementary, not sure why anyone would give this school a 4 out of 10 because while yes they are seriously overloaded with children. Due to the fact that they are educating children grades k through 8th. I believe that Sundance teachers do very well considering the facts and I would give Sundance Elementary a 8 out of 10.

Posted May 16, 2014

Sundance Elementary is a great school, both teachers, administration and staff truly care and enjoy their work. Many of them have been there for years and had the opportunity to grow with their students.They really do put the children first! There is also excellent PTA. and lots of opportunities for the parents and community involvement. All in all,and awesome little school that barely gets the credit it deserves!

Posted March 17, 2012

I absolutely Hate this school! I have never had this many problems with a school before. The principal never returns calls, the front desk lady is extremely rude, and the outdoor recess people will not protect your children. They need new staff if they want to make this school a success. I am ready to take my child elsewhere.

Posted April 10, 2011

I believe Sundance has the best teachers and staff that always go beyond what is expected to meet the needs of all kids. The special education team at this school is on the ball! They contact you immediately to ensure that your child's needs are being met. I have yet to see that at any other school. We are happy and know that all kids are loved at Sundance.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 20, 2011

The problem with this and other schools in this district ( my kids attended Sundance and Jasinski) is systemic. The tone and attitude set by the district is where a lot of the problems stem from. My daughter was entitled to gifted programming per state law and all she got was harder spelling words that she had to pick out of the dictionary herself. I tried to work with the state, but didn't get much support from them. Honestly, based on the gifted scope and sequence that was filed with the state by the district, I don't know how it wasn't fraud- taking money for programming they never provided. After three years of banging my head against the wall I moved my kids to Verrado elementary and middle school. I'm so glad I did.

Posted November 21, 2010

teachers are nice principal is verry good i just like the school like everybody especialy my little girls teacher Mis.Gollihare she is jus good really good teacher she knows how to deal with the kids And principal too dont know how enybody cant say something bad about her .She is really good Principal and she putt kids first lady knows what she is doing .I hear from somebody that principal before her was nothing no good for nothing but sinc she come school is better and better love it she is so sweet lady and teachers really do theach the kids of corse paremt need to help to to work with the kids at home .

Posted July 14, 2010

I actually feel bad for the staff. I have never been in a neighborhood where there were more disrespectful kids and parents. Its shocking to say the least! I have volunteered in both my sons classrooms where the students are cussing at the teacher or making faces at her or flipping the bird. Mind you I am talking about 1st and 3rd graders!! My children have been attending this school for 5 years... we have had some horrible teachers and some incredible teachers. There is obvious racism. My kids have been bullied for being white. The staff seems overwhelmed with the amount of students in each room,25 students to 1 teacher is ridiculous. Little supervision on playground or in classrooms. The PTO or PTA is non existent. You are NEVER notified of meetings, staff has no clue when they are. You are better off homeschooling!

Posted October 18, 2009

I am a second grade teacher at Sundace and I would hope that if one of my parents was that unhappy with the education their child was receiving, that they would come speak with me. Sundance is filled with caring teachers looking to make a difference in children's lives. I love my career and I hope my students love coming to school! :)
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 28, 2009

horrible school!!!! very behind. I have a second grader and they are learning what she learned in first grade. Can't wait to take my child out of this school ASAP.

Posted January 21, 2009

This is my first year in this school district. I have a 2nd and 3rd grader attending this school. I have classed and spoke with the teachers, principal assistant prinicipal. We get a one sheet print out of paper for reports cards which hardly tells you anything. I am told they got a superintendant and maybe next year they will switch to standardized report cards where you can actually see which part of a certain subject they may or may not be having problems in. As a Parent i feel I am under informed on how my child in doing academicly and behavior in school. I am frustrated that there homework is being sent home in cursive and they are not learning cursive because the teachers words are there is just to many other things to learn and i just don't have time.

Posted October 8, 2008

The teachers and staff are nice, however, there is almost no homework for my 2nd grader, and my first grader gets a packet that he completes in 2-3 days. Parents are not really involved and the PTO does not advertise when the meetings are so that the parents can attend. As for the gifted and talented program, students spend their lunch hour going over additional activities to keep them stimulated. My children's needs are not seen to....(they both perform above grade level). The PTO does not readily accept outside ideas to help fundraise for the school.

Posted October 2, 2008

I am also going to have to agree with the last parents comment. As far as text books are concerned, I strongly agree that they are needed. I am very much involved in my daughters schoolwork and it is hard for me to see how classroom curriculum is being taught? I'd like to stay on the same page as the teacher's rahter then showing my child my way of understanding. It causes confusion and fustration for both parent and child. Text books would be a vitale instrument in there daily learning!

Posted August 28, 2008

How can any parent give this school more than one star. There are great teachers and there are not so great teachers. The teachers expect these kids to write every thing down take homework home but yet they have no text books to help them learn and retain the information better. I find this school to be very poorly due to not having any textbooks to rely on. How do you know what your child is learning if there are not any textbooks. Parent involvment are not without text books you dont really know what your child is learning. What you have to look at their notebooks and read what they written from the teachers board and the printed out papers that the teachers give them. Again I strongly believe and alot of other parents too Believe without textbooks your child isnt learning or retaining the information as they should!

Posted May 23, 2008

My two oldest children attend Sundance Elementary and, with the exception of one teacher who insists on bringing her religious beliefs into the classroom, I like their teachers very much. That being said, I have to say that the school's gifted program is pretty much non-existent. The district needs to look into starting a self-contained gifted program instead of asking teachers who have little or no experience working with gifted students to just give gifted students additional/harder work. I also had to remind the administrators and the teachers that although my children will learn from occasionally helping others, they should not be used as teaching assistants. The biggest problem that the district has is that there is so much focus on the AIMS tests that the teachers don't have time to teach anything else. My son took a French elective for six weeks and didn't learn a word of French.

Posted May 15, 2008

I am a parent of three children that attend Sundance. I feel like my children have not learned anything being at this school. There are some great teachers but no help or support for them. They have no direction. Ms. Casey is not doing a good job, she is never there. They dont tell us parents anything. Yesterday was there last award assembly and they did not tell any of the parents.

Posted April 19, 2008

I too am concerned about this school. The principal is very hard to get ahold of. The teachers are spending hours on curriculum. Kudos to the district for adopting a reading curriculum, but how about writing, grammer, social studies, and a math program that acutally shows results. Our children are going into middle and high school with no basic math skills. And yes, you can go to the PTA meeting, only to find the teachers on the board and a limited amount of caring parents. There are alot of excellent teachers at sundance whose own teaching philosophys have been shadowed by one single minded philosphy that may not work for everyone.

Posted April 18, 2008

The previous comment sounds like a disgruntled parent that needs to find something else to do with their time. If she/he would attend board meetings or PTA meetings she/he may be aware that Buckeye School District do have curriculum and will also add a reading series to the curriculum next year. Ms. Casey is doing a great job along with her team of teachers and student dean. If you're so unhappy maybe you should consider a different school. The principal has always returned my phone calls in a timely manner and follows up. Mr. Kemmer is also great with the students at Sundance.

Posted April 17, 2008

I am very concerned about the acedemic progress of my children at Sundance Elementary school. Not only is the curriculum non-exsistent, but so is the principal. Maybe if the district saw fit to put in an assistant principal it would free up the administration to spend some time with the students and parents instead of whatever it is they do that keeps them locked away all day. I fell like I am trying to get ahold of a celeberty each time I try to get in touch with the principal. Also what is it with not having any curriculum for our children. Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't teachers have support in the classroom. I can not fathom the amount on time that the teachers must spend picking up the slack for a district that cares so little for the children parents and staff.

Posted March 12, 2008

I would like to add to my previous review by adding they are trying and going through 'growing pains'. And I hope it all works out. As a parent, I, we, have the responsibility to give our children the best chance's we can and to sacrafice for them. Then it is their responsibilty to hopefully utilize the tools they are given. I wish everyone at Sundance the best of luck.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 3:15pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Gifted / high performing
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Please join our wonderful pta, located on our site!