Verrado High School

Public | 9-12

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 23, 2014

I attended the Taste of The Arts evening last night at the school and could not have been more disappointed. It was singularly the most disorganized school event I have ever attended. The fact that it represented an evening dedicated to the fine arts and the promotion of them within the school was laughable. There were no programs of any sort, it began half an hour late, no one provided instructions on where to sit, so going to the auditorium area only to find that after the dancing began, the band began to play over in the quad. Parents had to wander around hoping to see their student perform somewhere. The "director" was choosing music as we stood there waiting. There is NO symphonic band as advertised. Having a group of brass and a group of winds, etc., defeats the purpose of the students learning to play pieces together and enjoying the sound they create as a whole. I paid to be present to watch my student perform and I am perfectly clear now as to why this has been such a disappointing class, last night was a HUGE wake up call that if you are hoping for the music program at this school to encourage and promote artistic development in your student, please look elsewhere.

Posted January 13, 2014

We are new to Verrado High. I am not impressed at all with the open classroom concept (no doors). The school seems unorganized and the teachers that I met seemed uncaring. My daughter is having a difficult adjustment (as a 10th grader) and I called the counselor and have yet to receive a call back. I am seriously considering moving to Chandler at the end of school year. (They seem to have the best ratings, both Great Schools and Community ratings.) I have a son who will be in high school next year and I will not subject him to the mediocrity found in West Valley schools.

Posted December 2, 2013

We are a new family to Verrado and a bit perplexed by the open classroom Concept that is not being utilized. Safety could be a concern if an intruder entered the building. Verrado has achieved academic awards for the number of students passing AP exams. This is impressive compared to other schools in the district. However, the school missed the letter grade of C by only one point and the growth scores seem to be slipping. My daughter has bee discouraged from taking AP Calculus, because it would ruin her GPA and that her A grade in pre calculus was not a predictor for success. It is disappointing that high achieving students don't stick with challenging classes. Kids say that the teachers make it extra hard by giving problem types on tests that have never been covered in class. A math teacher confirmed this for me. My child's pre calculus teacher utilized "flipping" the class, where students would view a video of the lesson the night befor.

Posted September 9, 2013

I live this school. School spirit seems good. VHS is alwasy receiving awards for academics and sports.

Posted May 21, 2013

My son has gone to the Verrado schools for the last 7 years With only a handful of good teachers, The One Verrado thinking is very wrong and very much lacking in teaching all the students and placing the students need first. The sports programs are lacking coaches and leadership. The only reason I Kept him in the school is to let him stay with friends. Just beware and stay on top of the school. Verrado gets an F in my book!

Posted February 2, 2012

I am a graduating senior at Verrado and I must say I am very proud in my school and our accomplishments. Most of the teachers here are great and you'd do well to send your student here. Of course there are those teachers that are in my opinon in need of repolacement but every school has them. Do not expect a warm welcome or even any "please" and "thank you" from the front desk reception. Those people are mean, heartless, and robotic. The registrar, bookstore and the library are the places to go for good reception. The students are somewhat just like any other school, but they have thier own kind of attitude too. The school spirit is somewhat lacking but the sudent gov't is very animated about school spirit which is great. Most of the teachers love their students if the student is willing to participate. I know I loved my classes and my teachers appreciated that. The acedemics here are really top notch, but if your looking for sports, we're not bad. We just need a few years. Overall this school is the best I could have ever gone to! The teachers are great, the coaches really care, and I could not have done better at any other school. Millenium and Agua Fria pale in comparison.

Posted March 16, 2011

Verrado s HS goal is all students college ready . I have two children that have graduated from Verrado HS. Both are currently doing well in college and one was able to achieve sports scholarship. I can honestly say my kids were academically challenged but, remained happy and achieved their full potential at Verrado. As a parent this is the most we can ask for from our public schools. The school started on the foot right by only bringing in a freshman class and built a culture of teamwork reflected in their motto One Verrado . I found a strong sense of community and partnership between parents, teachers, students and children at this school in comparison to other schools. As a military family, we were extremely pleased and I believe this school will continue to improve and become one of the top public high schools in the valley.

Posted March 10, 2011

VHS has come a long way in 5 years. Incompetent teachers have been replaced, inexperienced teachers now have experience, some excellent progams are now well established. Was not at all happy with the Cheer program. Excellent AP Engllish and AP World History teachers. Great Science department.. Awesome Broadcast Tech classes. Parents just need to encourage their kids to take school seriously and to not leave their manners at home. Teachers lose interest in the students that have bad/apathetic attitudes. School needs to re-evaluate their ONE VERRADO philosophy and bring back some traditions to encourage school spirit and establish school pride which would translate to personal pride and self esteem.

Posted January 15, 2011

Was a student at verrado high school. Seriously parents, this school does not care about your child education, blows their money on sports and then later in the year lecture the teachers not to print so much because they do not have enough money to spend on. As a student I was very involved in my academics, they did not have textbooks prepared when I went. The principal does not want to get involved into anything. The students are very disrespectful, you have to remember where the demographics is located at. The school only cares about cheerleading and football, which both sports are not even that good in the state. I can say that there are those teachers that you can find within the school that are very supportive. Like I said, I was a student and did not like the school at all, so I left. Trust me I wasn't a trouble maker or trying to cause problems I just wanted to get done with my education and this school left me hopeless when I went.

Posted December 10, 2010

I am generally pleased with the School, but my daughter's science teacher is wearing one of the alcohol bracelets that Lindsay Lohan wears. We did a quick online check and learned that she has lengthy arrest record from North Carolina. What kind of roll models are they providing our children? I question the School's responsibility to provide a safe environment, There are plenty of sober people looking for work.

Posted November 15, 2010

My kids have done so well here, with band, sports, art, NHS. The kids they hang with are fun, it is a new school and with the proper amount of parent involvement your kids will excel. I have had both a son and daughter here. The only issues I have seen are from kids of broken families, or poor parents that bring their issues to school. Good kids will do very well here.

Posted June 3, 2010

I have 2 students in Verrado and both love it! The school has diferences of opinion with the parents but they are reaasonable fair and diplomatic. The one Verrado concept is honored. I have read some of the previous posts crying racisim and that is a bold faced lie and isn't playing the race card getting a little old? The staff and admin are caring of each student. The pride and respect the student body has for each other as well as the staff and Admin and including the school itself is enviable. The schools only blemish is the varsity football team (sadly they seem determined to run that program into the ground) the weight room pales in comparison to other schools in the district.

Posted May 29, 2010

Verrado high is the 5th school in the country to earn the all green award.

Posted May 29, 2010

The Principal does not want to be involved with any problems. Some teachers very inexperienced and when parents come forward with issues they are ignored to a large extent.

Posted April 26, 2010

This school is pretty good but I feel that the school can be better. Some of the teachers aren't that experianced and others are way too strict. But there are plenty of teachers who do their job well.

Posted April 20, 2010

My daughter's were students there and they were treated like criminals. I believe that the staff is very both very inmature and racist to the african american race. I would not recommend this school to any children of color.

Posted November 16, 2009

My son is a freshman at Verrado. Overall I am comfortable with the school, but do feel that many of the teachers I have come into contact with are inexperienced. If the school placed more emphasis on hiring more skilled and experienced teachers, I feel the school would make tremendous progress.

Posted May 12, 2009

My son is a freshmen at Varrado and he is very happy with Varrado teachers and students. Verrado has changed him in a very positive way. My son is more focused and mature since he started going to high school and his sports skills are very accurate now.

Posted April 29, 2009

My child does not like verrardo and I have some parents who have kids that are transferring out. Not all students are treated with value

Posted October 2, 2008

This school is fairly good with the academic courses but there are things that need adjustments. The sports program is great, with very caring coaches. I believe some of the teachers are inexperienced and should learn how to teach their class instead changing project criteria on the fly. Overall, I believe this is a good school, and it will hopefully get better as the years progress.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

422 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

427 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

426 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 1%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

20050 W. Indian School Road