Buckeye, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,910

Posted May 11, 2015
Over the course of the last two years, I can say my experiences at Verrado High School have not been very good. First semester of freshmen year, I encountered a close death in the family. While I was gone, she assigned a project. When I returned back to school, I was not given clarification on the project, and yet I was still not fully there from the unexpected the death in the family, I recieved a poor grade, bringing my grade from an A to a C. Even when I adressed my teacher about it and my family members death, her rude, snarky response was "I'm not a mind reader, don't know what to tell you". Overall, this resulted in me getting a C in the class, hurting my college chances (keep in fact that I am normally a straight A student). First semester of Sophomore year, I was placed with a teacher who would be unjust with grading, and multiple times I came to her for help, and yet, I still got no where. That resulted in me having to switch out of the class nearly mid-semester. And now, onto the worst experience I have ever faced at VHS, second semester of Sophomore year. The teacher I had this semester bullied my friends and I. This issue is still going on within administration.

Posted February 16, 2015
Verrado has a race issue --- the staff and students need a course in diversity. My husband and I spent hours each month at the school addressing racial comments made by students in front of multiple staff members and comments made by teachers. If your child is Latino, African American or Mexican this is not the school for them.
4 people found this helpful

Verrado High School 3

Posted October 23, 2014
I am a student at Verrado and I'm disappointed on the organization of the school. I wanted to join a club and their table at open house was empty except for a piece of lined paper saying "Sign Up Sheet." I had to ask the front office about the club and go ask the club advisor only to find out the club had formed beforehand. Verrado needs to make an effort to advertise all of their clubs and sports teams. I wasn't informed on when conditioning started for the sport I was going to play until the coach told me when I was signing up. Besides the unorganization, the classrooms are just way too cold! The freezing metal seats don't help and we live in Arizona- how are we expected to be used to the room temperature! There are four (mens and womens) bathrooms outside that are locked after 2nd period. Despite the case even being featured on the weekly show, a security guard only stated that it was for security purposes.

Posted April 23, 2014
I attended the Taste of The Arts evening last night at the school and could not have been more disappointed. It was singularly the most disorganized school event I have ever attended. The fact that it represented an evening dedicated to the fine arts and the promotion of them within the school was laughable. There were no programs of any sort, it began half an hour late, no one provided instructions on where to sit, so going to the auditorium area only to find that after the dancing began, the band began to play over in the quad. Parents had to wander around hoping to see their student perform somewhere. The "director" was choosing music as we stood there waiting. There is NO symphonic band as advertised. Having a group of brass and a group of winds, etc., defeats the purpose of the students learning to play pieces together and enjoying the sound they create as a whole. I paid to be present to watch my student perform and I am perfectly clear now as to why this has been such a disappointing class, last night was a HUGE wake up call that if you are hoping for the music program at this school to encourage and promote artistic development in your student, please look elsewhere.

Verrado High School 2

Posted January 13, 2014
We are new to Verrado High. I am not impressed at all with the open classroom concept (no doors). The school seems unorganized and the teachers that I met seemed uncaring. My daughter is having a difficult adjustment (as a 10th grader) and I called the counselor and have yet to receive a call back. I am seriously considering moving to Chandler at the end of school year. (They seem to have the best ratings, both Great Schools and Community ratings.) I have a son who will be in high school next year and I will not subject him to the mediocrity found in West Valley schools.

Verrado High School 3

Posted December 02, 2013
We are a new family to Verrado and a bit perplexed by the open classroom Concept that is not being utilized. Safety could be a concern if an intruder entered the building. Verrado has achieved academic awards for the number of students passing AP exams. This is impressive compared to other schools in the district. However, the school missed the letter grade of C by only one point and the growth scores seem to be slipping. My daughter has bee discouraged from taking AP Calculus, because it would ruin her GPA and that her A grade in pre calculus was not a predictor for success. It is disappointing that high achieving students don't stick with challenging classes. Kids say that the teachers make it extra hard by giving problem types on tests that have never been covered in class. A math teacher confirmed this for me. My child's pre calculus teacher utilized "flipping" the class, where students would view a video of the lesson the night befor.

Posted September 09, 2013
I live this school. School spirit seems good. VHS is alwasy receiving awards for academics and sports.

Posted May 21, 2013
My son has gone to the Verrado schools for the last 7 years With only a handful of good teachers, The One Verrado thinking is very wrong and very much lacking in teaching all the students and placing the students need first. The sports programs are lacking coaches and leadership. The only reason I Kept him in the school is to let him stay with friends. Just beware and stay on top of the school. Verrado gets an F in my book!

Posted February 02, 2012
I am a graduating senior at Verrado and I must say I am very proud in my school and our accomplishments. Most of the teachers here are great and you'd do well to send your student here. Of course there are those teachers that are in my opinon in need of repolacement but every school has them. Do not expect a warm welcome or even any "please" and "thank you" from the front desk reception. Those people are mean, heartless, and robotic. The registrar, bookstore and the library are the places to go for good reception. The students are somewhat just like any other school, but they have thier own kind of attitude too. The school spirit is somewhat lacking but the sudent gov't is very animated about school spirit which is great. Most of the teachers love their students if the student is willing to participate. I know I loved my classes and my teachers appreciated that. The acedemics here are really top notch, but if your looking for sports, we're not bad. We just need a few years. Overall this school is the best I could have ever gone to! The teachers are great, the coaches really care, and I could not have done better at any other school. Millenium and Agua Fria pale in comparison.

Posted March 16, 2011
Verrado s HS goal is all students college ready . I have two children that have graduated from Verrado HS. Both are currently doing well in college and one was able to achieve sports scholarship. I can honestly say my kids were academically challenged but, remained happy and achieved their full potential at Verrado. As a parent this is the most we can ask for from our public schools. The school started on the foot right by only bringing in a freshman class and built a culture of teamwork reflected in their motto One Verrado . I found a strong sense of community and partnership between parents, teachers, students and children at this school in comparison to other schools. As a military family, we were extremely pleased and I believe this school will continue to improve and become one of the top public high schools in the valley.

Verrado High School
20050 W. Indian School Road, Buckeye, AZ  85326
Last modified Verrado High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Verrado High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top