Verrado Elementary School

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 799 students

Posted September 30, 2014

"Pep rally's & Jamba Juice isn't going to get my children to college". .. Perfect sentiment! While Verrado was a great temp alternative to other, less than desirable schools in Buckeye, the fact that my kids came home complaining about bullies, singing radio hits & counting all the candy they were rewarded with throughout their day just wasn't cutting it for me. I was looking for teachers/staff capable of demonstrating excellent character - not engaging in whispers, dirty looks & popularity contests like stuck-up brats in the 13th grade Grow up, guys! With all of the resources & seasoned teachers available to such a well-funded school, they should be doing more than offering "traditional" or "gifted" options (really just more homework) in attempt to rival the charter schools that concerned parents are LEAVING Verrado for. In short, this is the perfect school for parents who are intentionally avoiding other public schools in the area, are okay with such mediocre standards & are willing to stick out like a sore thumb every time someone insists on asking if you LIVE in Verrado *Rolls Eyes* After an experience like THIS, there's no wonder why everyone is running toward charters!

Posted July 1, 2014

There are many happy children in a high income neighborhood that attend this school. Mrs. Evans made many poor decisions as a principal and perpetuated the continuance of poor decisions as assistant superintendent. There is no after school tutoring or focus on meeting the needs of all children. The teachers work bell to bell and there is no going above and beyond other than xeroxing homework packets and planning fun activities that do not align to standards. This is a social club and you either embrace it or you are on the outs. Shame on relying on your demographic to remain in the Stone Age. Bigger packets and harder books do not equate to rigorous instruction. Pep rally's and Jamba Juice isn't going to get my children to college. A dedication to academic excellence and a willingness to persevere for every child will.

Posted June 19, 2014

This school is amazing! When my daughter and I first came to VES we were welcomed very warmly! In normal schools you don't get your kids happy to do homework! But at VES they beg to do it! If you are looking for a great school where you and your child is happy verrado elementary school is the way to go!

Posted February 22, 2012

The local schools in my area are not very good. I drive my child to Verrado Elementary instead and it is a wonderful school. The staff members are very friendly and helpful. The teachers are amazing!!! They truly care about my child and send home challenge work and praise. They are also very honest about any issues that I need to address with my child. The parents are really involved and I think that is part of the reason that the students are doing so well. I feel blessed that Verrado allows us to send our child there!

Posted December 17, 2011

Ever since my 4 kids came to the verrado schools ( elementry, middle and high school ) they have improved 100%. I have 2 kids with staight A's and 2 with A's and B's... I really dont care about personal lives of the teachers ( not in a bad way, just not my business ), what I care about is my childrens education and they are doing great that even their self esteem has gotten better. They feel better everyday cause the teachers let them know how good they are doing and encourage them to keep going.... They went from D's and F's to A's and B's!!!!! They are all about the kids... We like it so much we want to move into Verrado!!! Very happy camper :)

Posted December 13, 2011

This is a highly over-rated school. This is driven by parents who think Verrado is such an "amazing" place and by extension, that everything there is "amazing". First the good...The parent involvement is very high. This is because it's a wealthy community where one or both parents can afford to either not work, or take time off of work whenever they feel like it. Though I live here, I am one of those who have to work, as does my girlfriend, leading to the main issue. ALL school activities are held during the work day (8-5) so that those like me must miss work constantly, so that the teachers can preserve THEIR free time. They lost track of both of my kids (1st & 2nd grade) in the first week, and they missed their buses. My first graders teacher was rather upset that my little boy is a bit behind and needed extra help. I had to put the hammer down on her and INSIST that she HELP, and actually TEACH. They are ALWAYS begging for money in some form, every week, constantly, and every event charges outrageous ticket / entrance fees. In general, it's a snootey snob school, though they do a decent job of educating kids for the most part, though sometimes with prodding.

Posted January 16, 2011

I can only hope to God that my son gets into a local charter school next year. SO UNPROFESSIONAL. You can not only hear gossip, all the time, but see the teachers in the community drinking, smoking, and cheating on their spouses. What is this?? A school or a frat house?? Come on Mrs. Evans... DO YOUR JOB!!!!!

Posted January 15, 2011

All I can say is WOW, very impressed with Mrs. Evans and the entire Verrado staff! Both of my children's teacher have a strong understanding of the state standards and strive daily to see that all students meet those standards. I could not be more proud of the leaps & bounds both of my children have taken. Sadly they went to a school last year that ended with a wasted year and I was very concerned at the beginning of this year, but both Verrado teachers have set my mind at ease! Thank you Miss Putz & Mrs. Erdelji!

Posted December 17, 2010

I feel so fortunate that my son was able to get into this school. The principal and teachers are amazing. The community support is great as well. It is nice seeing my son so happy to go to school every day.

Posted November 21, 2010

This school is wonderful. My son has Mrs. Abramson and she is an amazing caring, gentle and intelligent teacher. She truly makes learning fun. My child is always ready to attend school. Mrs. Abramson is a true leader and I feel so very blessed. She is a wonderful role model for our young children and for our educational leaders! VES also has the support of DMB and offers MacRo math and it has been such a wonderful educational tool. Thank goodness for Verrado and the wonderful parent involvement. We are very happy and pleased! For this exact reason, we moved to Verrado to be within a wonderful educational school system. Way to go!

Posted June 23, 2009

I absolutely love this school and the staff. My children have been attending for 3 years, and they just love it. Ms. Evans is incredible as well. I love that they are able to get the parents involved and excited about everything going on in school and the community. I am very thankful for their contributions, and I know my kids are blessed to be part of this wonderful environment. Thank you Super Stars!

Posted April 23, 2009

I am a parent of a 5th grader that has been apart of Verrado since 1st grade. I have to say I am very immpressed with every teacher my child has had through the years. Everyone of them has taken a great interest in my child and has challenged him wear he excells. I have had two incidents come up were Mrs. Evans has had to call me and I think that she handled them both with a firm, no tollerance aproach....but somehow with grace :). We will miss this elementary school when we move to middle school, good thing is it's right next door.

Posted April 5, 2009

This is an amazing school. I enjoy the open feel eventhough it is completely gated and secure. The teachers keep the children engaged and the parents are always welcome to the classroom. My daughter has thrived since attending this school, and that is due in part to the unique ability of the teachers and staff to attend to each child in their own special manner. Highly desireable area, like it's own island, Verrado has afforded us a fresh start and a happy beginning.

Posted December 29, 2008

Verrado Elementary School is amazing! The teachers are happy and engaged. Many of them live in the Verrado community or want to move there. They enjoy strong social networks outside of school, and that really strengthens our school community. They clearly enjoy coming to work and take tremendous pride in the school! The students are polite and confident. They love the 'Character Counts!' programming and their test scores are impressive. Parents are very involved. There are numerous and varied ways to support the school. The actual facility is top notch, with high-end technology, gorgeous mountain views, and award-winning architecture. Verrado Elementary School is situated right off of our town's Main Street, a clear symbol of how highly we value kids and education. It's a special place!

Posted September 17, 2008

I love this school. Principal Molly Evans is the the best. She shows such enthusiasm and genuine love for each of the children. Every teacher my child has had has been wonderful. The school really tries to get families involved in their childs education which is much too rare these days.

Posted September 16, 2008

Molly Evans is a great principal!

Posted June 6, 2008

I am not at all impressed with the principal as I feel she does not have any leadership skills and does not know how to address issues but instead sweeps things under the rug. Many issues that have been brought to her attention I know to never have been addressed at all. The teachers however are very good and in general, I am pleased with the school b/c we didn't have any major issues. If you are considering this school, know that many parents did pull their children last year as issues simply do not get addressed.

Posted May 26, 2008

An absolute amazing school. Incredible principal and high quality teachers who love being there! You can feel it the second you walk into the school!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

20873 W. Sunrise Lane