Casa Grande Union High School

Public | 9-12

Posted June 25, 2014

I have had 3 of my children go here, and I need to say that the past year has been the worst. The new admin. is not in touch with the schools, teachers, students, or anyone. He is ready to cast blame on anyone and everyone but himself. Hiring and firing at his will without reason or a word. It has become the good boys club, if you are his friend, you stay, if not you go. Teachers and students afraid to come school. My student has a 4.0, and always followed the rules, yet was still yelled at, along with the student body. Now I don't feel it is a safe learning environment for my children, and we are out! Enough is enough, and I can't believe the school board is putting up with it.

Posted December 11, 2011

CGUHS is really a decent school--there are plenty of awesome teachers there, and ALL of the AP teachers are the best, and really try their best to make sure the students understand all of the material. A few of the guidance counselors need some improvement there, and sometimes I feel as though the administration and the teachers are on two different pages all of the time, like the administration has no idea about what is really going on or how to handle it. Just like anything in life, what you put into it is what you get out of it--this school has sent kids to Yale, Notre Dame, George Washington, Parsons--and yet, at the same time, there are kids that graduate that stil can't write or do basic algebra, and girls that get pregnant and drop out.Parents are just as important as the teachers and students, and the school shouldnt be to blame for the lack of success of the sudents.Plenty of students are involved with drugs and alcohol, which also plays a role in success of the sudents.This is really a great school, just as long as the parents care as much as the students,and the students care a much as the teachers. If this school had better funding, great things could happen.

Posted November 1, 2010

Great learning programs and good staff for the students to succeed.

Posted October 27, 2010

I love Casa Grande Union High school because of the teachers. They really care about their students and would go above and beyond to help them in any way they can. One teacher in particular really made a difference for me. Her name is Ms. Boenzi-Reed. If it was not for her helping me I would not have graduated,and I am very thankful for that school, and for her.

Posted October 12, 2010

I love CGUHS because they have an awesome group of SADD students who are excited and determined to make a positive difference in the life of their school and community!!!

Posted October 9, 2010

The students are excellent. They want to learn and love their school.

Posted October 4, 2009

I am the SADD sponsor and the kids are great. I have not had one bad year teaching at this school.

Posted October 4, 2009

Great spirit...and they have awesome clubs like SADD!

Posted September 29, 2008

I'm sorry but I can't give this school a good rating- maybe it's just because I'm biased, but my son was continually passed from class to class without really being held accountable for studies or even showing up for class! Allbeit, a student must take reponsibility for his or her own actions, the school must as well. If a student is not applying oneself in a study then they have no business being passed to the next level or the next grade. It's time the schools quit 'leaving children behind' and actually raise the bar for a change.

Posted January 30, 2008

We relocated from an area where the school averaged 98% in standardized testing. I was concerned that my son would not receive a 'good' education but, I was pleasantly surprised when we chose his classes and he brought home some of the work. It was alot more challenging than I would have thought. It is a nice school and everyone that I have spoken with has been extremely helpful. I know it will be a '10' school in the near future.

Posted November 2, 2006

I'm a 2003 graduate of Casa Grande union high school! I enjoyed my time there, there was great faculty, staff and administration, the people who educate there really care about us and want to see all of us do our best! I felt that Casa Grande u.h.s. helped me become a better person and prepare me for the 'real world' and also it was a great place to go thanks!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 12, 2006

Great school very good staff and Students! Casa grande,a fast growing city deserves a great high school like this.

Posted August 13, 2006

I am a new teacher at the high school and I have been very happy to know that my colleagues are interested in teaching. Everyone I have met has a passion for teaching and a commitment to each individual student.

Posted July 1, 2006

This school is a good school, but there are a few teachers that are not very helpful. But the overall is ok. The students are nice and the teachers are too.

Posted May 23, 2006

This school is very low on safety, more security guards or new ones would really be more strict on the school. Other than that this is a great school

Posted February 17, 2006

I attended CGUHS, & found little academic support. Excellent teachers: Mr. Linley, Mr. Hassler, Mr. Kissleburg, Mr. Finley ...also the band teacher and Mr. Leybas excelled in the fine arts. Thank goodness for these & my mother who was an educator! BTW, I placed as 1999 All-Academic team in Arizona, even though one teacher at CGUHS told me not to bother with college.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 9, 2004

I think this school was not built to the students ability. I go to this school and the administration is not doing there best. They need to act like teachers and not just give students a book to read and answer questions. Most of us dont learn that way. Some teachers are really good geating to know the students and teaching them hands on. Yet othere teachers think that a pile if note taking and reading teaches student . It dosent! They need better administration.

Posted June 15, 2004

Great leadership have helped bring this school's standards up to acceptable levels.

Posted May 5, 2004

The Pricipal at this school does not communicate well with the parents and does not give you an opportunity to express your concerns. I left a message for the principal to call me regarding an issue with my son and he did not return my phone calls. My husband also called him and he did not return his calls either. When I was at the office asking for clarification on a matter with my son he abrublty told me it's the policy and then walked away from me as if I were not even in the office. In addition the school puts all of their money into the football team.

Posted September 10, 2003

The unproffesionalism of the instructors at this school is unbelievable. This school should be shutdown, until some professional teachers can be found to replace the questionable current faculty.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

312 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

309 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 55%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (520) 316-3353

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now