Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 01, 2016
The special ed team that worked with our son, is awesome. Thank you to Ms. Lynch especially! She always went above and beyond. We miss you!!

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted March 01, 2016
There is a lot of changeover in the teaching staff, counselor, special Ed Dept. over the last couple of years. Shumway use to have a very strong team. I'm not sure why there is so much change or why staff are leaving in droves.. It is concerning to the community, and me as a parent- as our kids thrive off of structure and consistency. With the changeover if staff comes a lot of problems. People are unclear and things vacillate. Once the staff gets more seasoned, I think things will improve. It will just take some time.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted March 01, 2016
It's hard to tell. I think once the leadership improves, will see more evidence in this area.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted March 01, 2016
I don't feel the principal has much empathy towards the students, (in fact, I'm not even sure if she likes children. You never see her around campus) but I do feel a select teachers do care about our kids.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted March 01, 2016
I believe the tone could be set better - and lead by example. My children often overhear staff talking unkindly about other students and/or other staff. That isn't showing integrity in my opinion.

Shumway Elementary School 5

Posted January 06, 2016
We have been a part of Shumway for 13 years! The school gets better year after year! The principal and staff are fantastic. The special ed teacher is amazing!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted January 05, 2016
My son has always had an amount of homework that was just enough. He plays competitive football on 2 teams and is busy after school. With the amount of homework given, he is still able to do all his extra curricular activities and get the homework done. My daughter also was able to complete her homework in a timely manner. She is a competitive dancer and dances more than 15 hours a week. She still maintained her grades and got her work done while at Shumway.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted January 05, 2016
Ms. Rea, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Milkovich, Ms. Hamill, Mr. Tuttle & Mrs. Landon are just a few who have made an impact on my kiddos. Thank you for all that you do and have done to help them be successful!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 05, 2016
My son LOVES to go to school and a big part of that is because of his teachers! Teachers like Ms. Rea, Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Milkovich and the reason he is improving and loving school!

Shumway Elementary School 5

Posted January 05, 2016
My kids have attended Shumway since 2013. My son started in 2nd grade and is now in 4th. Every teacher he has had has been amazing! They all have taken the time to really work with him. He does leave class for assisted instruction in certain areas and is getting all the extra help he needs. His reading has improved dramatically! My daughter who is now in Middle School also, enjoyed her time at Shumway. From the wonderful ladies up front in the office, to the librarian, the music teacher, the PE teacher, or any of the other teachers/assistants that we have had over our time at Shumway, I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking to attend. We never lived in the Chandler district and now that we are 20 minutes away, I continue to drive my son to a school where I know he is safe and all of his needs are met. We'll be finishing out his elementary days right here! We are happy to be Shumway Stars!

1325 N. Shumway Avenue, Chandler, AZ  85225
Last modified Shumway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.