Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted January 06, 2016
We have been a part of Shumway for 13 years! The school gets better year after year! The principal and staff are fantastic. The special ed teacher is amazing!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted January 05, 2016
My son has always had an amount of homework that was just enough. He plays competitive football on 2 teams and is busy after school. With the amount of homework given, he is still able to do all his extra curricular activities and get the homework done. My daughter also was able to complete her homework in a timely manner. She is a competitive dancer and dances more than 15 hours a week. She still maintained her grades and got her work done while at Shumway.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted January 05, 2016
Ms. Rea, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Milkovich, Ms. Hamill, Mr. Tuttle & Mrs. Landon are just a few who have made an impact on my kiddos. Thank you for all that you do and have done to help them be successful!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 05, 2016
My son LOVES to go to school and a big part of that is because of his teachers! Teachers like Ms. Rea, Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Milkovich and the reason he is improving and loving school!

Posted January 05, 2016
My kids have attended Shumway since 2013. My son started in 2nd grade and is now in 4th. Every teacher he has had has been amazing! They all have taken the time to really work with him. He does leave class for assisted instruction in certain areas and is getting all the extra help he needs. His reading has improved dramatically! My daughter who is now in Middle School also, enjoyed her time at Shumway. From the wonderful ladies up front in the office, to the librarian, the music teacher, the PE teacher, or any of the other teachers/assistants that we have had over our time at Shumway, I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking to attend. We never lived in the Chandler district and now that we are 20 minutes away, I continue to drive my son to a school where I know he is safe and all of his needs are met. We'll be finishing out his elementary days right here! We are happy to be Shumway Stars!

Posted September 03, 2015
We love Shumway. The teachers are wonderful!! This year, they are offering a Sports League, a free Sports League!! We signed up right away and cannot wait for the season to start. Both of my children doing very well academically and socially. And while no child is perfect, I believe that the punishments/consequences given fit the crime. Another big change this this year is the implementation of the 7 Habits of Highly Successful People philosophy with the students. My children are coming home talking about being "Proactive" and KNOWING what that means. Such a great idea!! Building CEOs from the ground up. Keep it up Shumway!!

Shumway Elementary School 1

Posted September 19, 2014
I removed my sons from Shumway at the end of last school year and moved them to Finley Farms Elementary School in Gilbert this school year. I couldn't be happier with our new school. Shumway has LOTS of behavioral issues with students. So many bullies and physical altercations and very little punishment given. Academically, the school is not challenging. While they focus on reading and writing, I don't feel they push the students enough in math. I had to do a lot of extra math practice with my kids this summer, in order to make sure they were ready for the next school year. Finally, the new principal is more concerned about micromanaging the student drop off in the morning instead of addressing the behavioral issues at the school or trying to get to know the students.

Shumway Elementary School 1

Posted September 08, 2013
Shumway has endured a complete change, I often wonder if I am dropping my kids off to the correct school. Many good things, though many are not so good. Dr. Brenner seems to have to have a hand on everything, and everything she touches does not turn out well. She doesn't seem to be aware though, as she isn't visable any longer. Except at parent pick up and drop off, which changes constantly, yet nothing was really wrong with the old way. Everything is a production with this micromanager. I am just glad I would never have to work for her. I feel bad for the teachers and see another huge turn over coming at the end of the year. The teachers are constantly on edge, feeling like everything has to be ran past her before they can confirm anything. She has no faith or trust in her very wise staff. Its sad because they will leave.

Shumway Elementary School 2

Posted July 10, 2013
I am a student that was there for 8 years and now I'm going to junior high, but I'm not very impressed about this school. For one thing, our former principal wasn't very nice. But luckily, a new principle is coming to the school, but I know nothing about her. Most teachers are nice but only one teacher that I've ever had had stayed with the school. Because none of the teachers really liked that school. The staff is really nice, in fact I became good friends with the consular. She helped me when I got bullied. And that wasn't to bad. But the environment of the school is terrible. First, there is a huge open park that a lot of times we had gangs coming to the school. Another thing is there is vandalizing. The parks are trashed with bear cans, graffiti's with swear words where marked on the school, and fire ants around the school. And the portables are just always to hot or to cold and there is a huge bug problem at the school. Also there is a lot fights and bullys at there. But the former principle has tried to stop this. Overall, I suggest this school for little kids. Please explore your alternatives before placing a child in this environment.

Posted May 12, 2013
Shumway is great. I feel that it is a very safe school focused on education.

1325 N. Shumway Avenue, Chandler, AZ  85225
Last modified Shumway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shumway Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top