Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

If the student is identified as having learning challenges they are very good and creating individualized help.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Dr Brenner is a highly effective principal! And very open with parents.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The actively implement the 7 habits for highly effective people. And teach the kids to set goals etc. Each month we get a family packet to help implement these skills in our family. Love it!

Dr Brenner is the best Principal I've ever met! Her leadership is key to keeping this Title 1 School soaring. She has a fresh and unique view of education and cares about teaching kids more than academics. We've been impressed with the Library Staff, Office Staff and many of the teachers. Special Ed is top notch and really understands their students needs. That being said they have the worse field trips I've ever attended. They make their kids fill out homework packets during the field trip. NO other school in the district does this. It's a waste of a field trip for the kids to learn in a DIFFERENT way.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

There is a lot of changeover in the teaching staff, counselor, special Ed Dept. over the last couple of years. Shumway use to have a very strong team. I'm not sure why there is so much change or why staff are leaving in droves.. It is concerning to the community, and me as a parent- as our kids thrive off of structure and consistency. With the changeover if staff comes a lot of problems. People are unclear and things vacillate. Once the staff gets more seasoned, I think things will improve. It will just take some time.

Develops character: Neutral

I believe the tone could be set better - and lead by example. My children often overhear staff talking unkindly about other students and/or other staff. That isn't showing integrity in my opinion.

We have been a part of Shumway for 13 years! The school gets better year after year! The principal and staff are fantastic. The special ed teacher is amazing!

Amount of homework: Agree

My son has always had an amount of homework that was just enough. He plays competitive football on 2 teams and is busy after school. With the amount of homework given, he is still able to do all his extra curricular activities and get the homework done. My daughter also was able to complete her homework in a timely manner. She is a competitive dancer and dances more than 15 hours a week. She still maintained her grades and got her work done while at Shumway.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My son LOVES to go to school and a big part of that is because of his teachers! Teachers like Ms. Rea, Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Milkovich and the reason he is improving and loving school!

My kids have attended Shumway since 2013. My son started in 2nd grade and is now in 4th. Every teacher he has had has been amazing! They all have taken the time to really work with him. He does leave class for assisted instruction in certain areas and is getting all the extra help he needs. His reading has improved dramatically! My daughter who is now in Middle School also, enjoyed her time at Shumway. From the wonderful ladies up front in the office, to the librarian, the music teacher, the PE teacher, or any of the other teachers/assistants that we have had over our time at Shumway, I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking to attend. We never lived in the Chandler district and now that we are 20 minutes away, I continue to drive my son to a school where I know he is safe and all of his needs are met. We'll be finishing out his elementary days right here! We are happy to be Shumway Stars!

Last modified Shumway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.