Willis Junior High School

Public | 7-8

Posted May 5, 2014

This school is so amazing! The principal is really caring and knows all the students by name. I love the academics and sports and all the programs I can participate in. I don't understand why Willis has such a low rating it is a lovely school and the teachers and students are very caring and supportive. I love this school so much.

Posted June 5, 2013

I was a student here for years 2011-12 and 2012-13. I was in honors math and honors english. I have to say that it wasn't the best school. I had the same amazing English teacher both years(prepared me for high school), but other than her I don't think any of my other teachers prepared me. Both years I was bullied(but who wasn't in junior high?). I knew one teacher that didn't respect the students at all(he taught yearbook and computer). If you asked a question he'd look at you like you were stupid and then explained sarcastically. A lot of teachers don't care what you do, especially the male teachers. Education isn't very good, I'm very intelligent and I don't think I benefited much at all. I was on the V-ball team in 8th grade and neither 7th or 8th grade girls volleyball won a set(better yet a game). The best part of Willis is the Gifted Academy and the band program. I believe the band was best(junior high) band in state. I wasn't in the Gifted Academy, but to be in you have to score 97% on an AIMS test(in any subject). I was student aide for one of the GA teachers and the students were amazing! Education came first, the work prepared the students for high school .

Posted September 26, 2010

I was lucky to go here for 7th and 8th grade, the teachers are very helpful and they do what there suppose to do. The school offers some classes like computers where you can work with robots and photoshop. The history teachers make the students actually intrested in politics and the world around them. Seven of my family members have gone to this school and we have never had any problems.

Posted February 20, 2010

`This is my first year at Willis. I have great grades and I love my teachers. I was involved with soccer. My teachers help us with further information on worksheets and homework. My math teacher helps me a lot and I have earned a high enough grade to be placed on the AVID list. Being in 7th grade, I dont know all the teachers but I have heard they are really great. If I where a parent who doesnt know if my child should go to Willis. take my advice and let your child go there its a really awesome school.

Posted January 14, 2010

This is my 5th year w/children @ Willis Jr High. I find this school very difficult to rate. The music program is excellent, highly motivational, inspiring, as well as challenging. My children are high functioning LD students who get lots of support & encouragement from their strategies teachers. However without this support, I believe their education is a roll of the dice. Long time teachers put on a good front that disengages them from practicing the art of teaching & enhancing a students ability to learn. In contrast, the younger teachers are the crown jewels. They go above & beyond just teaching. They motivate the students to become involved in their own education enticing them to really learn. The principal has demonstrated a firm hand on the bullying situation & I have heard/seen fewer incidents over the years. However, he smooths over the rough spots, favoring the teachers point of view.

Posted August 27, 2009

This is my first year at Willis Junior High School, and I have to admit, I'm loving it! I like all of my teachers, and they seem to know how to keep us motivated. My math teacher is great. She made up an easy way for us to remember how to divide integers. It involves karate!

Posted July 8, 2009

My first year at willis and i thought it was pretty great.All my teachers wer great eccept for one...I do recmmnd thee school even tho i admit that its not the best school.

Posted May 31, 2009

i love this school. My child gets along with all the children and teachers.i recomnd you have your child go there

Posted May 28, 2009

I have mixed feeling about Willis, 1 child is in High school after leaving Willis and he is very unprepared. All honors classes and the AVID program and he cant seem to keep up at the high school level. My other child is in the 7th grade. She gets herself involved in sports and student council she loves her teachers. I on the other hand am disappointed. The kids father passed away amd we were having such a hard time at home. I spoke with her teachers and most of them worked with us. 1 however refused. she removed my daughter from an activity that she loved ( the only thing actually making her happy at that time) and would not listen to reason. I understand that grades need to be kept up in order to participate in activities, but there was no working with this teacher. Its sad!

Posted May 27, 2009

I have an eigth and seventh grade student attending the CATS program at Willis. The last two years have been an excellent experince for my kids. The teachers are very supportive and the administrative staff very helpfull. Thanks to the CATS program, my son qualified in the top 5% in a highly competative private high school entrance program. Check out the CATS program and take a tour of the school, I did.

Posted May 15, 2008

I am nearing the end of my first year at Willis and all I can say is 'Thank God that's over!' My grades might show this school as being O.K., but it is anything but. I've encountered Issues from almost all of my teachers, who seem to be more concered about the AIMS tests. Problems such as incorrect grading, unrecognized achievment, and even inaccurate data taught have been common throughout the year. Many teachers seem to talk a good game, but when it comes to delivering, standards start to drop. The school emphasizes mostly on sports and orchestra, even admitted by the nonchalant principle, whos seems to attend only to say (rarely) how great his school is. Once again, all talk, not much delivery. I could continue the review section asks for only 150 words or less.

Posted May 15, 2008

I'm a 7th grader in the CATS program at Willis. It's not the best school, I'll admit that. However, most of the teachers and my fellow students are nice.

Posted February 18, 2008

Its a good school. Their some bads things about it but just like any other school they get through it.

Posted September 26, 2007

My daughter is in the 8th grade CATS program and I have nothing but positive things to say about her years at Willis. She loves it. She works very hard, but she has a great bunch of kids in her class and enjoys school. Her teachers are excellent. They are dedicated and care about the students. I am very impressed. I would highly recommend this program to others. Her choir and band teacher also go above and beyond to motivate the students.

Posted December 13, 2006

We recently moved here from Tempe. I have to admit that I was a bit concerned with pulling my child out a district he as attended since he was 3 years old. What I found with Willis, is that he is now interested in school. He is being challenged in all his classes and is excelling in all. As for the bullying that is going on in this school, I'm sorry to say that this is common in all the schools, Tempe included. At least Chandler is now taking a 'no bullying tolerated' approach. It's a start to say the least. To the teachers of Willis...keep up the good work! And thank you!

Posted July 15, 2006

I am going to be in the 8th grade and I had some problems with kids at the school. Most of them dont even care about school and are super lazy and talk back to teachers that are very nice when they dont deserve being talked backed to. Some of the kids will walk by classes and bang on the door while we are working. I was very distracted at times to work because of the kids that would not shut up. Did not feel confident enough to present in front of the class. Some of the kids at this school need serious dicipline. And the school needs to be stronger on all of there punishments!

Posted May 13, 2006

The teachers really seem to take great interest in the students. There are a variety of different programs including gifted, honors, and ELL programs.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted April 23, 2006

We are not entirely happy with this school. The teachers are admittedly more focused on preparing for AIMS than teaching a quality program. There does not seem to be great support for individual learning.

Posted April 7, 2006

My child has gone to Willis, and the experience has been less than acceptable. The students continually use swear words. They are rushed to eat lunch. The sports programs are not very good! The teachers seem to be of good quality, but they seem to turn their heads to the other behavior that goes on.

Posted March 31, 2006

This school has a lot of bullying problems. All four of my children had problems with bullies there. Two of them were kind of outspoken and probably brought some of it onto themselves but the other two are very good natured. The counseling staff was not helpful either. It got to the point where they were scared to ride the bus and I had to start driving them to and from school. No intervention or help from the school at all.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

446 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

446 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

435 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)