No rating

St Mary-Basha Catholic School

Private | K-8 | 483 students

Living in Chandler

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $115,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Posted September 30, 2014

My children have been here since 2008. The school is like many other schools; I can't tell you that its perfect. However, I can tell you that all of the teachers that we've had are very hard workers, and are dedicated to helping the students. Sister Mary Thelma (Principal) and all of the teachers are very accessible. The Catholic faith is a central part to the school's daily routine. There are many parents who volunteer their time in many different ways. There are so many wonderful families. We have found most students and families to be very nice and welcoming. When we started Sister Mary Norbert was still Principal. Yes, there have been some changes since she left, some of which I would not have chosen (dress code), but they have not negatively affected the quality of the school. Since Sister Mary Thelma started, I have only seen an increase in quality - teachers working harder, more families volunteering, facility upgrades, etc. My family feels very blessed to be a part of the St. Mary Basha community!

Posted September 18, 2014

My kids have been going to St. Mary-Basha for 7 years. I could not be happier with the school. The school leadership does an excellent job striking a balance between challenging them and encouraging them and our faith is included throughout. St. Mary-Bahsa is helping us to form our children into people who are kind, accountable, and well-prepared for high-school and beyond.

Posted September 17, 2014

My daughter completed K-8 here and our other child currently attends SMB. After visiting other schools public, private, and charter this was the one and only choice. They receive a top education and the teachers work very closely with the parents especially when your child has difficulties in school like one of ours did. They truly care and the principal is very accessible. They really value behavior and service which is something that no other school I looked into provided. Tuition can be high for those who cannot afford it but there are other ways to make it work. Education is a commodity - you get out of it what you put into it. If parents are involved, participate actively in their child's education and do not leave it up to the teachers to do everything, you will reap exponential rewards.

Posted September 17, 2014

My husband and I were very nervous about choosing the right school for our children. We decided to send them to St. Mary-Basha Catholic school and are so happy we did. We have been at St. Mary's now for three years. Although the school looks a little out dated and rough around the edges, it is filled with EXCELLENT teachers, wonderful staff and an amazing network of parents and families. The education the children receive is exceptional. The parent involvement is awesome! I love and appreciate that Christ is the focus and all lessons center around our faith. SMB prepares students to excel in high school as well in life.

Posted September 15, 2014

This school has brought so many blessings for my family, 6years and counting! All teachers and staff, centered on Religious Sister as the principal(which is such a blessing as it is becoming more rare to find a religious as a principal), are caring and committed to building and forming each child's core foundation, spiritually, physically and academically. Every morning, entire student body begins with morning prayer together on Mary's garden, centering the students on Jesus, virtues, and service for others! We are so proud and blessed to be a part of this wonderful, high performing, Catholic school!

Posted July 31, 2014

With this new principal, the school has changed. I totally agree with the post on July 27th. If Sister Mary Norbert came back to the school now, she would be very disappointed. In my opinion, the new principal only wants to change everything Sister Mary Norbert did. Examples are, the new principal changed the logo that Sister Mary Norbert made and the dress code. Girls cant have any colorful hair decorations anymore; such as, colorful flowers and colorful headband. This school is starting to sound like a military school.

Posted July 27, 2014

I have not been happy with this school over the past 2 years. Ever since Sister Mary Norbert left, the school's quality has dropped dramatically. I am pulling my kids out of this school for that reason. The new principal only cares about money and not the care of the students. I wish Sister Mary Norbert would come back. She had the principal leadership everybody needs and wants.

Posted July 23, 2014

This school is outstanding. My children have gone here for 9 years and I couldn't be happier. Their teachers are dedicated professionals. The students are caring and motivated. The parents are involved and supportive. They have the top test scores in the Diocese. We are so glad our children go here!

Posted June 18, 2014

We have been going here for the past 4 years. I am pulling my daughter out because I was not very happy with the teachers and staff this year. The new principal is all about the money! its very sad what has become of this school since Sister Mary Norbart has left :( Wish they could bring her back!!!

Posted May 31, 2014

St. Mary-Basha CATHOLIC????? School????? This school is NOT good on the outside or the inside! Any review that says the principal was great and is before August, 2012; that principal is no longer at this school. The new principal doesn't know how to be one! She makes the worst calls on small problems. She can not pick good teachers! This school had 3 different Spanish teachers in 1 trimester! At this school, you can expect 3 lock downs each year, usually involving shootings in the surrounding neighborhood. My kids went to this school, and it was the worst mistake of my life. This school doesn't even deserve one star. If I were you, I would NOT send my child here.

Posted April 10, 2014

This school was a nightmare especially during catholic schools week. (Yep) in fact, for the last few years, the worst conflict has happened during catholic schools week. (Who would like to experience that?) in 5th grade, my teacher actually didn't like me for a week?? Umm... Something's wrong... in 6th grade, i didn't like how my classmates were behaving and the teacher thinks i'm doing all of it?? And in 7th grade the new principle omg made the worst decision i could imagine just for one little mistake... . If you are like me, there is no hope in this school... If you try to go to this school, you have to be careful around the principal as she may look like a nice person, but in fact she is not...

Posted February 6, 2014

St. Mary-Basha Catholic School is an outstanding Catholic school. The high academics are reflected in the standardized test scores. The administration and staff always have the best interest of the child at heart. Any student I meet from this school has a strong Catholic Identity along with excellent social skills. Administration, teachers and students "walk" their faith every day. Keep up the great work! There should be more learning institutions like St. Mary-Basha Catholic School!

Posted February 6, 2014

I was a student at St. Mary-Basha Catholic School for 9 years. Now that I am in high school, I am in all honors classes and have a 4.5 GPA. My technology skills are so advanced compared to my peers. I built friendships that I know will last a lifetime. If you want a great education, attend this school!

Posted February 5, 2014

Great school if you want your child to get harassed and bullied. Students and staff dont care about anything but themselves. The principle and the so called assistant principle dont do anything to help resolve problems. Paying for this school is like buring your money, very disappointed on how this school has changed since Myself and the old principe were in this school.

Posted December 9, 2013

Don't you wish your children will grow with a foundation preparing them to deal with life's challenges? I had my doubts as well, but this school does exactly that: -academic: at least 1 year ahead of the other schools in the area and consistently rank above their diocesan schools in ITBS scores -focus: High School feedback notes the students from SMB are prepared with disciplined organization and focus -Values and Faith: if the above was not enough, this solidified it for me as a parent. To sum up what happens in terms of Values and Faith, you must visualize a child's footsteps right behind that of the sandals footsteps of Jesus. -Community: the community support for the school and the kids support of the community is what makes this such a great school. -Cost: it's called Student Tuition or Catholic Education Arizona - contribute your tax dollars effectively, doesn't cost you a dime. Disclaimer: I am a parent of SMB students and Catholic. But it was not just the academics that sold me, it was that foundation seen in my kids that influenced me to drop the emptiness of atheist and secular influences for the freedom of Christianity.

Posted September 30, 2012

My kids went to a "10" school in Henderson (NV). I was concerned we would find the parent and teacher commitment we had at the former public school. St. Mary's-Basha Catholic School has exceeded my expectation. The teachers are excellent and genuinely concerned and involved with the students. The principal provides strong leadership. The parent involvement is amazing. Both my duaghter and son are doing well. The diversity, faith building and academic instructions provide me great comfort in the long term success and stewardship of my children.

Posted September 30, 2012

My children have been attending SMBCS for the past four years. The principal is a strong leader who sets high standards and ensures parental involvement. The teachers are high performers who care about the children and are personally involved in ensuring the sucess of every child. The parents are extremely involved and are required to volunteer in various capacities. Original intentions were to give them a couple of years and allow them to complete sacraments and form a strong religous foundation. I am now committed to them moving through Catholic high school.

Posted June 6, 2012

I am a former student of St. Mary-Basha School. The technology program not only prepared me for high school, it helped me exceed my peers on many projects. I felt the teachers really cared about me and I received a strong Catholic foundation. Thank you!

Posted April 1, 2011

My two daughters attended St. Mary-Basha School since kindergarten, went on to excel at Xavier College Preparatory, graduated from NAU and both have successful jobs. Both were inspired in their faith since elementary school because of the faculty's strong dedication to Catholic education. All the children have a chance to lector in church, say morning & afternoon prayers, receive religious education and the Sacraments, interact with clergy, celebrate the liturgical calendar, and practice being good little Christians with service projects in and around school. Many of the teachers have Master's degrees, high expectations and work extra hours to provide free tutoring to help every student succeed. The curriculum is challenging but appropriate and interesting. The administration brings creative people to the school for ALL to enjoy -- poets, authors, artists, musicians, actors, etc. -- as well as, offering enrichment opportunities for all the students to participate in the Arts. The 6th grade Science Camp, 7th grade Sea World turn-around, and the 8th grade Washington D.C. trip are unique junior high perks as well. I highly recommend this school for an excellent elementary education.

Posted February 2, 2011

As a student, I really enjoyed this school. Unlike many schools in Arizona, it has a lot of windows and visual access to outdoor spaces. Recess and lunch weren't in cramped, indoor, windowless cafeterias, but in a spacious, outdoor Ramada. Outdoor courts between wings of the school allowed learning to sometimes expand into these spaces and provided places for students to spend time before school and between some classes when older. I thought my teachers were great and the lack of "Chris" wasn't too apparent. I never fell behind, but that might be because of how helpful and nurturing to learning my parents were. After graduating 8th grade, I went on to get above a 4.0 at Brophy in Phoenix with plenty of Honors and AP classes. I am finishing my senior year at ASU now as an Architecture student as well as completing an Honors Thesis for Barrett, The Honors College. Friends I made here have stuck with me for life. 4 stars.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Phoenix

• Drama

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

200 West Galveston Street