Santan Junior High School

Public | 7-8 | 1199 students

Posted June 25, 2014

I went to Santan for both 7th and 8th grade and it honestly helped me prepare for high school. There are good teachers and students, but some students are very groupy. Most of the students are very nice and open though. I would definitely recommend someone to go Santan

Posted April 17, 2014

San Tan Junior High is a fantastic school,. My daughter transferred there in January from Athlos Traditional Academy Charter School in Chandler and she's so much happier in San Tan.. She comes home smiling every day and can't wait for the next day to start! I'm feeling stress free since her transfer.. The staff is great, she loves all her teachers.. I'm happy we made the switch!! I recommend this school!

Posted February 4, 2014

After reading some of these posts I am shocked. Adressing a drug issue years ago I am a student who has never even heard of drugs being used on campus. I have never seen a bullying incident much more than friendly teasing. The teachers are willing to guide the student. The teachers are nice, but will not bend the rules concerning grades. I do wish they cracked down on the dress code issue, however they do not want to be mean to the students. As a student I can tell you I will shed tears when I have to leave one of the best schools. I am exclusively C.A.T.S. so it may be different out side of that.

Posted January 23, 2014

Santan is the best school i've been to (that says something because i have been to a lot of schools) The teachers are all very experienced and they stay on top of things. There teaching techniques help students understand the concepts. The rules are not only said by teachers and other school workers but they are enforced. If you are thinking of going here, you definitely should.

Posted August 21, 2013

All of the teachers are nice but the student; They are so rude to the teachers. I can't even believe one student would even call her own teacher 'homie'. In my opinion that is very inappropriate. I am not shunned by other students, nor am i one of those snobby popular people. But a small percentage of students are spoiled kids who pound make-up onto their faces. I even get talked about for just being me and not wearing make up or wearing any of those (please excuse my language) slutty clothing. I disaprove of there taste in clothing. I wish the teachers would be strict about the dress code and at least send them to care if they are being obnoxious. But in my opinion, teachers should be up at the board or at their computers keeping the class quiet to teach their respected student. During lunch the bathrooms would be crowed with people doing their make up hogging up the sink and mirrors. You should be able to at least go through the door without having to say excuse me 5 times to 10 different people just to get in. -submitted by a Student of 2013-2014 (8th grade)

Posted June 5, 2013

I would really just like to discuss the A+ award Santan received. I don't think we truly deserved the award. We had announcements all week reminding kids to practically be "fake" while the A+ officials were on campus. Kids had been dresscoded and given CARE refferals for gum, but they weren't really cracked down on until the week of A+ campus visits. We even got new signs in the halls the week before saying "Stay to the Right", when we had never been reminded to do that ever in the past. I feel as if Santan put on an act when A+ officials came, and yes, it DOES matter, because what if there is a more-deserving school who actually is a good school FULL-TIME and follows rules ALL the time. I think Santan is a good school but the week of A+ really changed my perspective on things, quite honestly.

Posted February 15, 2013

My child has been at SanTan for both junior high years. Last year (7th grade) I felt great about the experince my child was getting. This year I have been less than impressed with the school. There is hardly any communication from the team of teachers and the school in general. When I have e-mailed a teacher about something it takes several days to get a response in most cases. They are very unfair in their grading systems as well, coming from my child was was a straight a student and now is having trouble even holding onto B's and for very stupid reasons points are being lost. Coming from being a previous educator for 7 years in public schools, I have seen many different aspects and understand things are not perfect, but this year by far I have been less than impressed with the school and teachers we have dealt with. I am very dissapointed the most in the communication and willingness of the staff to work with students. I have called the school office a couple times for things, and each time ended up with a very rude person on the other end.

Posted January 30, 2012

I've noticed that a lot people commenting that there are to much kids in a class. That is because most parents think that is a good school so they send their kids there. The Santan staff don't want to just tell the student to leave and go to a different school just because they have to much students. They are caring enough not to do that... My brother and sister both went to Santan for 2 years and I thought that it is a great school. And I am in 6th grade and i look forward to going there. I really think it is way better then Willis... I hope u send your children there. :)

Posted November 10, 2011

I am very pleased with this school! As a student, I have been going to Santan for eight years now. I am currently in eighth grade, and everyday is a good day. I actually look forward to coming to school! There isn't a whole lot of bullying, the classes are filled with awesome kids, the teachers rock, and i looooooooooooove the principal! Yes, there are definitely a whole lot of kids, but after a while you just get used to it. I feel blessed to have been able spend my elementary and junior high years at Santan. Its a fantastic school! (:

Posted July 3, 2011

being a student at santan jr high i can say that it is unsatisfactory. I am an excelling student with high grades but i am not even acnoknowledged for it. I was put in the LA and math honnor classes but they are exactly the same as regular classes. SAntan is more focused on sports than the acedemics. The one perk to santan it the music and art department. they both have great teachers and many fun oppertunities. But overall santan is not the best school.

Posted January 5, 2011

I am a student here in the 8th grade and I think that the school has a very good education program and a good staff. But the students. A good amount of them are very nice. But most are very mean and stuck up. I am made fun of for being "Diffirent", for not wearing make-up, and just for being myself. I am shunned for being me. The kids make up their own "popular" groups and whatever those kids say goes. Many people are shunned for just having a mental disorder, like dyslexia. I can't wait to get out of this school so I can feel free again and not feel like I am in my own private jail.

Posted July 21, 2010

This school has the world's most priviliged,entitled, the rules DO NOT apply to me parents in the entire world. They all think their kids are perfect. They think there are no drugs weapons or fights on this campus but as a parent I can tell you that there are. People give Willis a bad name and every year Santan has more marijuana confiscated than any chandler school combined!!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 25, 2009

I love this school. It has had no fights. I've never actually seen one at SJHS. Everyone is so nice. And the teachers are the best. In my homeroom almost everyone got Superior Honor Roll.

Posted April 13, 2009

The school is very clean and their is not much bullying. All the staff is very friendly and it has great security. The sports programs at the school are very good they usualy win the champoinship. I was recently on the basketball team and we went undeafeted and swept the playoffs. Also they have good honors programs and cats too ( Chandler Academicaly Talented Students). Over all it is a great school.

Posted February 19, 2009

Very happy with this school overall. Teachers are good. Identified our child as belonging in honors math, and then made it happen. Planning to send her there again next year.

Posted May 30, 2008

i love santan my kids love it too every body should go

Posted May 4, 2008

Santan Jr. High is a terrific school. The students and the staff all work hard to prepare the students for High school. The athletics are second to none, and the administration does a masterful job. Every day is a holiday, and every meal a banquet.

Posted April 29, 2008

Santan is an amazing school, and i wouldnt change a thing about it... Teachers prepare us for highschool, and they dont give us any sugarcoated nonsense. They tell it to us straight and do it because they care. Santan has wonderful teachers, campus security, and students.

Posted September 1, 2007

This is honestly one of the best schools in chandler. Great teachers, and students.

Posted August 17, 2007

My daughter loves Santan Junior High. She doesn't want to leave. But unfortunatly, it only goes up to 8th grade.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

n/a
Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)