Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My children love this school. We've had one or more children at JACOBSON for nearly nine years. The teachers push our children at their level and they care about our kids. The new principal Ms Wolf is solid. She welcomes families and is very present. The school is safe and a wonderful community school. My neighbors love the school too.

From the wonderful people in the administrative office to the wonderful teachers we've been so lucky to experience to beyond the bell after school program, I couldn't be more pleased to have my children attending Jacobson!

She has favorites. Clearly any child with special needs is ridiculed in front of the class. She has called my son "a liar" and worse. He has developed tics in just this school year due to her mean and passive agressive manners. I am filing a complaint with superintendant as soon as school year is over (i am afraid she will take it out on him if I do it beforehand).

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Butler (6th) is by far the worst "teacher" I have ever come across. She has favorites. She is a snob to parents and has actually emailed me "I don't tell you how to parent, don't tell me how to teach" when I insisted she do something on my son's 504 plan. It was plain crazy.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

She has favorites. Clearly any child with supecial needs is ridiculed in front of the class. She has called my son "a liar" and worse. He has developed tics in just this school year due to her mean and passive agressive manners. I am filing a complaint with superintendant as soon as school year is over (i am afraid she will take it out on him if I do it beforehand).

Positive until 6th grade Butler. She made my daughter afraid to go to school.... No problems until Butler.

My Daughter attended Jacobson from Kindergarten and just finished 6th grade. She has had some good teachers, ok ones (who thankfully retired) and a few awesome teachers during this time. The former Principle -Mrs Weed was great, - the new one, not impressed at all. The Orchestra teacher is awesome - my daughter loved her. And Mr Zarnick, her 5th grade teacher was the best! I highly recommend you do anything you can to have your 5th grader in his class. He was excellent in the academic part - but really challenged them in Life Skills - which really is not done now a days...He is amazing and really should be listed as one of - if not the best teacher in this school!! The school work is challenging for some kids. My daughter was in the highest Math and Language Arts which helped her test into Honors Math and Language Arts for Jr High. Hoping that will continue to be good for her. My daughter did say that the CATS (gifted) kids typically were the snobby ones and made sure the regular kids knew they "were beneath them". And of course there were the "mean" girls which seemed much more prevalent in 6th grade because there is nothing more important than "teasing" or making sure people feel like outcasts. Just make sure you talk to your kid, and always be there for the day when they do break down and the "words" do hurt. My daughter had her breaking point - we talked and she came away stronger and with a much more "I really don't care what you say or think" attitude to these mean girls. She does have some great friends - they have each others backs and are very sweet and kind. I am grateful she has them as they continue on to Jr High - they have taught her the true meaning of friendship. It's been a good 6 years - now off to Bogle Jr High and I have high hopes my daughter will continue to excel.

Unless your child is in the CATS program there is not too much that differentiates this school from any other. Our teachers ARE wonderful and we have nothing but admiration for their dedication to our children. What is missing is better communication from leadership about school happenings; parents shouldn't have to subscribe to the school's PTO Facebook page in order to stay informed. Despite subscribing to School Wires we feel routinely left out of the loop. Also, with the disparity in income levels among the students the campus would benefit from an Anti-Bullying Campaign. When my children have had issues they refuse to complain because both the parties, no matter how one-sided the bullying is, are punished. Popular (ie. clique-y) kids are encouraged while shy kids are receiving the message that they shouldn't even bother speaking out. This is discouraging as a parent trying to raise kind-hearted, fair-minded children in this environment.

The school got a new principal and a new kindergarten teacher this year. The kindergarten teacher transferred from another district and does not have the classroom management skills or academic expectations consistent with this school's reputation and history. The principal is quick to scapegoat kids instead of recognize teacher needs help. What a nightmare and horrible first school experience for these kinders, we are looking into transferring schools after only two weeks.

Awesome! My kids get the best education here. The teachers give each child their undivided attention.

Last modified Anna Marie Jacobson  Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.