Bright Beginnings School #1

Charter | PK-8 | 486 students

Posted January 29, 2012

Parents, BEWARE! I totally agree with the post from the previous parent. BBS administration puts several positive comments after seeing a negative comment to boost up the rating. Just go back and read all the comments. You will see the pattern of who's writing what..... The principle (owner) is there just for the $$$....

Posted January 28, 2012

As a parent of three children who have all gone to Bright Beginnings I can't even begin to imagine our life without it. My oldest is in high school and she is at the top of her class. I attribute this to the wonderful schooling she had at BBS. The principal is open and welcoming for any parent to go and speak with her. She puts the interest of the children first. The teachers and aides are amazing! We moved to BBS from our neighborhood school and it was one of the best decisions we ever made to ensure that our children are well rounded, and well educated.

Posted January 27, 2012

I'm searching schools for my daughter who are 3 now. We went this school to get some information. It seems a little bit expensive for pre-school(around $1100.00 for full day from 7am to 6 pm.) and we are invited to join school tour next week. Probably, we'll join but I wonder a lot about them. As a parent or educator do you suggest this school especially for the little kids up tp K3? If you know more about the conditions and future plans of this school, would you mind share your thoughts?

Posted January 26, 2012

As a teacher, I can tell you the BBS is a terrific place to teach! I smile each day as I arrive ready to take on my day. The aides are instrumental in getting our students to excel; be it helping in the classroom, lunchroom or teacher's workroom. Our principal will go to great lengths to help us succeed. She truly loves the children as her own. I have had multiple offers to teach elsewhere. I choose to stay because of the fabulous families, supportive administration, kind and productive staff and peer teachers that help me be the absolute best teacher I can be. This is not only a cooperative work atmosphere, it is a caring, positive and challenging environment for our students.

Posted January 11, 2012

The administration is extremely rude and unprofesstional--never friendly to parents or the PTA who provides a ton of support to her teachers and students. We left this school after witnessing the Principal's astonishing rude behavior over and over again. Wow, what a change to be a school where the Principal smiles and comes up to talk to you! Too many great families are leaving and fortunately for them their are many other top notch schools available where the administration is friendly, grateful and caring towards the students and families.

Posted December 11, 2011

I agree with the post below. I am thrilled to have moved my children away from the leadership that has changed the school drastically. We loved our boys teachers and made great friends but the principal is money hungry and quite rude to everyone. I was amazed at our new school that the principal is out every day to say hello to students and families and at dismissal helps children get in their car and smiles. Unlike the leadership at BBS who only is seen outside to yell at parents to move and get off their phone. I also see my sons new principal fill in for teachers, and lunch duties. Actually wiping tables down and cleaning. I am certain you will never see this from the leadership at BBS. It is no wonder why she has lost families and staff. She knew she had to do something big like "buy a jr. high" to try to save the school. However if people think she will be nicer, kinder, remember this is the person who provides no paper or supplies and is seen yelling at the parents ...the same people who actually bring in the supplies and keep her teachers happy. We are happy to have stable and happy leadership at our sons new school.

Posted December 7, 2011

My kid got in w/ lotto to 1st grade .In 3rd grade I was called into the Principal and told he would be retained with straight A s for not doing 40% of homework although the school year was not over and I had not been advised of the homework situation. The same day I was advised my 2nd child could not attend the next year because she has already been held back once and still continually "refused to sit in the required sitting position of criss cross applesauce". On my kids last day her teacher told me "She is ready for 1st grade". Its interesting their LOTTO produces 99% of students from high income, married caucasian families. We are minorities, low income and I m single. Every year both of my kids were the only one in their class from broken home with a working mom. I believe we were magically selected in the lotto because our app showed he'd gone to private kinder. In hindsite I see my children were kicked out. When i voiced I plans to still bring the oldest kid back next year, I was told my work sched was unstable, asked how I spent my days and told it would be too hard to take them to different schools. I was treated harshly and disrespectfully .

Posted November 23, 2011

After much research via this website and personal visits to schools, our family decided to attend BBS. So far, I find this school to be superb. I have students in 2 grades and am an involved parent. I find the teachers have been showing great effort in helping my children adjust to the harder curriculum while providing an exceptional level of parent communication and doing hands-on math and cause & effect science. The principal and staff are very friendly and all that I can expect. Many parents are involved in the classroom activities, partly due to a school-wide expectation for parent involvement. The homework levels meet my higher expectations, and I feel good about all that my children are learning. Classroom behavior is well managed (much better than I have ever experienced at prior schools). Above all my kids are happy.

Posted October 6, 2011

Moving here from out of state, I thoroughly researched options ranging from private school, Chandler ISD, and CTA. I took into account my son's personality, learning style/input from his previous teacher and chose BBS. Pluses: smaller class sizes, 3 levels of Math in each grade, subjects are usually 1 grade ahead, Music/Spanish/Art/PE, hands-on teaching especially in Math and Science, reasonable amount of homework, kids are pretty well behaved (from what I witness when volunteering weekly). Minuses: Indoor lunchroom is too small so most kids sit at a covered outdoor lunchroom. There is no library. Classes maintain their own library but it's not nearly the same as being able to bring home books on various subjects. There isn't enough parking so traffic is a mess. No school nurse. Teachers are developing their own websites because the school doesn't have one for parent/teacher communication. Overall, we like BBS and will keep our son there for now because of his academic progress and is thriving socially. However, I have been looking into the new charter schools more specifically those that go to 8th grade or higher. We may change schools maybe around 5th grade.

Posted September 11, 2011

Maybe we were unclear, but this does relate to the preschool with regard to the tuition aspect. But, the balance remains true with regard to our experiences with staff and administration. Thanks for the clarification.

Posted September 9, 2011

I'm concerned about the validity of the previous poster comments. This is a public charter school and does not collect tuition for the K-6 grades. If they are referring to the pre-school, then they should state as much in their post.

Posted September 8, 2011

We are hoping that no other child will be treated the way our daughter was treated. The lack of professionalism and commitment to education sums up the overall reaction that we have received. This letter is to inform every parent that he/she needs to be aware of the voice that parents have in their child s education. Not a teacher or a principal can dictate the child s educational future. It is with the teamwork of the parents, teachers, and administrators that will lead to the success of a child s educational future. Without a plan of action, there s no success. BBS did not care enough to ensure the success of our daughter. We wonder how many other parents were treated and dismissed by the staff of BBS after the collection of tuition without giving a child a 100% chance to introduce and adapt that child to their new learning environment? Arizona education has focused a lot on test scores. Sure, BBS does have the majority of students meeting or exceeding standards, but how many of the students were suggested to go to alternative schools due to lack of progress made by students? For profit?....Or for the education of our children?

Posted February 17, 2011

An excellent education is what my child is receiving at BBS. I have read the reviews and am disappointed that so much negative focus is on fundraising. The administration has been very forthcoming about the vast amount of state funding lost and please know that Charter schools are hit especially hard. No family is required to participate nor are they judged or affected in any way if they choose not to participate. My second grader is currently working at a third grade level in math, and he is in the middle math group. He is reading at a fifth grade level. He is being taught in a happy, loving environment. Much of the learning is hands on and fun. He has the added benefit of P.E., Spanish, Music, and Art, all taught by the highest quality teachers. If you are looking for your child to be mired in seat-work academics without the benefit of specials (like the arts) and a well-rounded education, then this school is not for you. If you are looking for a fantastic education at least a grade level advanced - in a loving community, then this may be the school for your child! I urge you to tour the school, talk to teachers and parents and learn more about what BBS has to offer.

Posted February 15, 2011

Time magazine February 7,2011 has an article on page 53 titled PTA Wars. The first paragragh explains how school budgets are so strapped these days that parent groups are battling to keep basics in the classroom and programs like art and music are being cut and more are to be cut as schools across America continue to lose funding. It sickens and disturbs me to read such negative comments about the wonderful school that I have taught at for the last 15 years. BBS has many teachers that are long term such as myself. We take pride in our commitment to BBS and work hard to provide each student with the best educational experience possible. We have always maintained art , music, drama, spanish and P.E. programs that have never been cut and are expensive to maintain. It is unfair to make false claims about fundraising at BBS when reading this Time magazine article it is clear that this is not an issue that is isolated to our school alone this is the state of America's school system and a problem that needs the help of community, parents and teachers working together. As a teacher of BBS I thank our parents for their support and commitment to our school.

Posted February 11, 2011

I would hope that most adults would recognize the difference between showing our kids the postive effect of helping to raise money for local charities (Millitary, Animal Shelters, under privileged kids, etc) and raising money for programs at the school. Bright Beginnings does offer a wide range of fundraising options for your family to pick and choose from. It has never been said that you have to participate in all of them. All schools are in the position of having to raise funds or get donatinos. Public schoos are offering up to 15% in raised grades for reems of paper! If you want to help the most, advocate to our state government to stop cutting educational funding!

Posted December 12, 2010

Like most sites which reviews products/places, you have to take the reviews on this site with a grain of salt. On one side you have the staff/adoring parents who post excessively flowering reviews and on the other side, some disappointed parents posting a overly negative review. That makes it hard for anyone looking at this site to make any reasonable judgment call when picking a school. On the positive side, you have small classes, overall good teacher quality, involved parents, large playground, good PE and athletic activities, some good educational extracurricular activities like Math Masters and Star Spellers, and an exceptional after school art program. On the not so positive side, average level of academics. While the academic level at BBS may be higher than the average public school in the area, it does not compare with some of the more academically advanced charter schools. There certainly is a lot of fundraising activities whether big or small almost every week.

Posted November 28, 2010

Too much fundraising! The PTO, the Principal, the classrooms ALL ask you to support them or their cause, almost on a weekly basis. Here's what we have had so far just this year: Entertainment Books, cookie dough/wrapping paper/jewelry, Fall Festival pledges, 3rd grade store, Jamba Juice, picture frames, tee-shirts, Green Bee produce, loose change drive at the Scholastic book fair, water drive, military supplies, and maybe a couple I've forgotten. Whew! I understand the state budget cuts and the need to raise $ but it would be nice if the Principal woud communicate and coordinate her fundraisers with the PTO's fundraisers so the parents don't feel bombarded on a daily basis.

Posted November 5, 2010

My third grader has been at BBS since preschool and now my youngest kids go there too. I love BBS! The classes are all small with a teacher and aide in the class. The teachers are constantly challenging the students and they encourage strong parental involvement. BBS may not have all the bells and whistles of other schools, but instead you get a "private education" at no cost and loving caring teachers. As far as the fundraising comment...we have had a total of 2 school fundraisers in the past several years! With all the education funding cuts...that's not too much to ask for so your child can get the kind of education and care at BBS. Besides, you don't have to participate in fundraising if you don't want too! It's not mandatory!

Posted September 27, 2010

For the first time in 15 years of business, BBS has done two fundraisers in order to compensate for the loss of funding from the state. Having done these two we were able to update our computer software and purchase new laptops. In addition, we have been able to maintain FREE all day kindergarten class sizes at 22, aides in ALL classes, offer fine arts to every student on a weekly basis. Parents that look at fundraising from such a narrow perspecitve have not bothered to stay informed about the state of education financing in AZ and therefore, do not understand the challenges schools face to continue to offer a PRIVATE education to their child for free. Fundraisers are no loger optional to schools, however, no parents is ever required to participate.

Posted September 20, 2010

Don't believe all these 1-2 line positive reviews. They seem to have been placed there in order to hide the negative reviews that appear before them. If you are looking for an academically advanced school, BBS is not the place. Their educational standards are mediocre at best. Not much of a personality development either. The focus of this school is mainly fund raising rather than education, and every week there is something or the other to buy or to sell. If you are looking for an academic environment for your kid, look elsewhere. If you dont mind fundraising and fine with fairly relaxed eductaional standards, this is the place for you.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 20% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 56%N/A49%
Male 44%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Academic Excellence Award (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Karen Edris
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

3 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year