Chandler High School

Public | 9-12 | 3206 students

Posted May 19, 2014

Coming from outside of AZ, I was very worried about public school here, however, Chandler High's IB program has been a wonderful experience, offering the academic rigor necessary to be successful in college, while still allowing for the extracurricular activities that colleges want to see on the student's resume. I have so far been quite impressed with the teacher's and their dedication in offering quality education. It's very reassuring to see so many of the IB students being accepted into top universities (and many with scholarships).

Posted December 6, 2013

I can honestly say Chandler High school is the best school I have ever been to. I have moved schools 8 times and this has been the best one. I am not sure if it is because I have matured and can handle myself better but I really believe this is a great school. I am a sophomore now and have enjoyed my high school career so far. The teachers really care about the students education. I can tell because whenever I am doing bad on something my teachers will talk to me and give me some suggestions. They are always there in the morning, at lunch, and after school to help me. I have had a fairly easy time making friends at Chandler too. The majority of the students are very kind and accepting of each other. I believe everyone is this accepting because of how diverse my school is. I have had a few problems trying to fit in. Some students simply don't want to make new friends because they have grown up with the rest. I am planning on moving states soon however I would definitely recommend this school to anyone! We also have a wonderful new principal!

Posted September 12, 2013

I went to chandler for whole year and didn't make any friends ! I'm a really easy going and fun person. So I didn't understand why the kids didn't like me.. I did however love my teachers, they were so nice and super helpful. they always would make time before or after school to help you ! It's just the students that are not whiling to get out of there cliquey moods to make new friends. Now that I'm doing chandler online I found out from my moms co workers that chandler is very snobby and very cliquey do got the fact that the kids have practically grown up together. From elementary to Middle and now high school and are not interested in making new friends .

Posted August 23, 2013

This school is amazing!!! The IB program is awesome and the faculty and staff are very attentive to the needs of the students. This school does a great job prepping the kids for college!

Posted May 16, 2013

This used to be a terrific school, in fact I bought my house ten years ago so that my child could attend CHS. Now finishing his junior year, he is seriously considering leaving for another school for senior year. I certainly hope that the new principal will bring accountability back to the teachers instead of allowing them to avoid teaching, insult students, and ignore parents. Additionally, it would be great if the administrative team is rebuilt with individuals who treat students like people instead of incidents. All in all, I hope this school returns to greatness before the reality of the past five years catches up with and ruins its reputation.

Posted May 23, 2009

This is the best high school in the Greater Phoenix Metro and Suburb area. All three of my children have attended CHS. The teachers primarily, and the IB and AP programs set this school apart from the other High Schools in the area and the state. My daughters received a great education, the teachers truly care about all the childrens progress and in my interpretation do not default to the 'no child left behind' philosophy. Of course, the child must work hard and the parents must be involved in the childs success. I recommend this school to everyone concerned about their childs future!

Posted October 16, 2008

this has been the school my family has been going to since the 20s. I'm in the band program and it is sweeeet. we're going to fiesta bowl.

Posted October 15, 2007

This school does a magnificent job incoperating the arts and athletics to its award winnign academics. Chandler offers infinite opportunites to excel, the studnets merely has the grasp and accomplish it. However, there is very low parent involvemet, maybe its because the studnes are 'big kids' now, making it akward for parents to come and volunteer. The only time parents are apprecitated it when the check is written for the fundraiser or event of the school.

Posted March 31, 2007

My daughter has had some very caring teachers. They respond to e-mail concerns promptly. I even got a call from the principal once on a concern. He talked to me at length and we came up with a good solution. My daughter is in FFA. It is a very good club that teaches leadership skills, and people skills. She really enjoys it. My only regret is that she didn't make volleyball even though we thought she was good enough for at least JV. The teachers are as good as I could want. She has challenging enough classes even though she is in regular curriculum. I think she is learning a lot. She also has her choice of a lot of variety of electives which she enjoys. I wish our son would have started there. He wound up graduating from CHS and his teachers were great also. Thanks

Posted March 30, 2007

As a parent of a Chandler High Teacher, I know my daughter puts her heart and soul into educating 'Her Kids' as she calls her students. She prepared her students to take the AIMS Test even though Chandler was not chosen to participate. If she is an example of the staff, the the students are receiving an excellent education. If your child is not receiving an education at this high school, it is because he/she does want an education. This parent has been involved in several events from sports, the science fair to graduation.

Posted February 1, 2007

Both of my boys attend CHS. Currently they are enrolled in the ROTC program and love it! I wish more students were aware of this program. It teaches them great leadership skills and they have a great time learning it as well as helping the community. Keep up the good work!

Posted December 27, 2006

I am a substitute teacher in many high schools throughout the east valley. The openness of the students at Chandler High makes it a pleasure for me to be on their campus. You will find a diverse mix of students that makes for a much more stimulating backdrop for learning. The building itself is historical and distinctive. The school s proximity to The Chandler Center for the Arts is an extra value to many Fine Arts students. I have seen skilled teachers and students working together outside of class receiving accelerated support or remedial help. I give them kudos for including reading, writing and math skills in all subjects taught. I am especially impressed with the positive atmosphere generated by their adept principal.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 8, 2006

Poor Security Policies. Unnecessary rules and regulations. Filing paperwork and talking to administrators means getting tangled in red tape and dealing with a maze of bureaucracy.

Posted January 10, 2006

My son is a sophomore and daughter will be a freshman this fall. We are very happy with chs, and we're picky! the best thing about it is opportunity. Chs excels in academics (several levels to choose from) offers most electives and extracurricular activities a kid could want. The newly expanded campus is a wonderful mix of historical and modern facilities. Because it's such a large school, parental attention is required. Parents should not expect to hear from teachers without intiating contact, but i have found that any time i needed to reach someone (counselor or teacher) i was met with caring and action. If you're willing to advocate for your kid, opportunities abound at chs. Our experience has been mostly great teachers, a couple of duds. Again, parental involvement is key.

Posted December 24, 2005

I am a recent graduate of Chandler High. I d have to say that the administration at this school is impossible to deal with. That being said, the IB program attracts the brightest students in the state and it is a real privilege to study with come of these kids who are so gifted in so many fields. The teachers are give and take, you will probably have the best and worse teachers of your life at Chandler High, unfortunately, only the good ones tend to get fired.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 12, 2005

For a big city school, I think Chandler High is okay. I have two children currently attending, one is a special ed. student. The special ed. director is very, very good, and I am very happy with the services my son with Asperger's Syndrome receives. The teachers, in general, at Chandler High, are exceptional from what I have experienced. This is a school with pride in its history. The marching band is extremely excellent (will be in the Fiesta Bowl parade this year, Macy's parade next year). There are other excellent programs, the lacrosse team is very good. CHS has a brand new, really great swimmng pool for their swim team. Football team isn't too wonderful. There is a sizable Hispanic population at CHS. LDS Seminary available.

Posted August 24, 2005

This school has many great opportunities for everyone. My children love this school and I recommend it to everyone.

Posted July 23, 2005

My daughter is a senior this year and I can't say enough positive things about CHS staff and their commitment to excellence. Mr. Williams leads the school with dignity and respect, and teachers are relentless in proving learning opportunities for all students. The new buildings and additional aquatic center and fields are outstanding. THANKS Chandler for giving our kids the best!

Posted June 14, 2005

Chandler High has not been a pleasant experience for our family. We have a teen with A.D.D who needed the extra attention to help her through. Even the assistance of the 504 program, we only had 2 teachers that would call us with issues. She was caught cutting school 8 times before I was notified by mail. Most of the teachers never called me about her failing grades when they should be keeping me informed regularly of her progress or lack thereof under the 504 program. I rate this school poorly for any child that might have learning disabilities.

Posted April 19, 2005

Chandler high is a well balance of ethnic students. The school has a good academic standing and is equiped to handle a large student body. Some programs are weak, like the music and fine arts department. Still the school maintains a well balanced mix of students in the economic area. The mixture of affluent residents as well as the median income level residents makes for a varied student body. The school is still growing, both in population as well as in area size. With the addition of a new gymnasium as well as a new olympic size pool in the next year, it makes for a better school.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Dance

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school