No rating

Paragon Science Academy Elementary School

Charter | K-6 | 216 students

Our school focuses on STEM education.

Living in Chandler

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $114,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted October 17, 2011

My son is happy and excited about school.He is a 1st grader and doing very well in class.Great school!!

Posted October 10, 2011

As a parent, the previous post offends me. The information is inaccurate and abusive toward the teachers who work so hard for our kids. Yes, we have had 3 principals in as many years, this has little to do with the gifted program which has developed under the supportive guidance of our current Gifted Program Coordinator. She has always had her door open to address any questions or concerns I have. The program is different from last year, but there were problems with students missing academic content with that model. Now, she is in the classroom to work with the GATE students, as well as the other students in the advanced classes regularly. She also started after school programs so that our children could participate in the Odyssey of the Mind. Plus she is fundraising in order to send students to a GATE camp experience. The students love her and her credentials make her far more than adequately suited for the position. I wonder if the previous parent realizes that she soon with have her doctorate degree and how much time she puts into planning for her students. Any school has its shortcomings, but at Paragon I feel my gifted child has exceptional educational opportunities

Posted August 25, 2011

It is a shame because this school started out really strong. They had a clearly defined, advanced curriculum and a good method of teaching kids by abilities instead of by age. Unfortunately the lack of consistent direction from the administrative staff lead to issues between teachers and parents, teachers and teachers, teachers and admins and it really affected the ability of the kids to learn. The loss of the Gifted Coordinator was the first major blow and then the loss of the first and second principals really caused more confusion. By the end of the third year over half the teachers were gone, the administration was completely new and most of the curriculum was lost or not arrived. I think this school has the vision to be strong but without consistent and trained staff on the curriculum no one understands the policies especially the students. We had teachers who gave hours of homework, others who gave none, some teachers allowed water and break time, others did not. This is not even getting into the religious time in some of the rooms. Really sad potential is there. Maybe in a few years when they can get back trained staff.

Posted August 25, 2011

This school is not fit for your child if your child has special needs. I have tried to address special needs of my child with teacher and school administration. They were never supportive. I have moved my child to a public school. They are very supportive. My child was enrolled in this school from the beginning when they started. They are more and more disorganized as the years ago. in the last 4 years, they are 4 different principals. So there is no continuity. Also there is constant turn over of teachers every years. I have seen all good teachers leave.

Posted May 11, 2011

I am a parent of a 5th grader. We have been so happy with the school this year that my child will definitely move to Middle school campus on Chandler blvd. My child is taking Algebra 1 in 5th grade with only 9 other students in the class. This is way advanced compared to other schools and the class size is unbelievably low!!! I don't want my child to go to another school and repeat the same courses!

Posted January 14, 2011

I'm a student at PSA and in middle school. This is my 3rd year at Paragon, and I would say they have a good curriculum except for science. Yes, I admit that they are disorganized, but trust me- they are INCREDIBLY busy. They try very hard for the school to have great students, and they are so proud with many of the middle school students. All of the teachers LOVE to teach, and thats all they can think about. Please do not blame the admin. for brushing off problems as they have many goals for the kids at the school to excel and cannot solve every issue.

Posted October 17, 2010

This school has many many issues. They are full of empty and broken promises. Teachers are quitting mid year, as a parent it makes me wonder and question the things going on at this school! This school is good for parents who can put up with the disorganization, and chaos.

Posted October 9, 2010

Paragon Science Academy has everything we need for my children who are attending 1st, 5th and 9th grade. The school administration is very accessible and the staff is very dedicated. Clubs are enriched this year and there is a good quality. Each student is considered for his/her Math level and given the chance to have the challenge. The amount of homework is reasonable.

Posted October 7, 2010

Well they have a Spanish teacher now and are interviewing librarians. The school does have issues but it can't be compared to 20 year old public schools in the area. My son is in 4th grade and doing 5th grade math and my daughter is in 2nd and excelling! There aren't schools that give as high a level of education as this one, it's 10 out of 10 for a reason. I plan to keep my kids at this school and the high school for the education. I don't care if the administration is Turkish or if they want to teach is. We, as Americans, are too narrow minded to realize that learning another language is important regardless of what language it might be. The teachers are great and caring.The kids are exposed to so many cultures, it's just worth it.

Posted August 20, 2010

As other parents, where do I begin? I really thought that after 3 years of growth that the bugs would have been worked out but it seems to have only gotten worse... much worse. There is something to say when a school is three years old and on it's 3rd principal! What is the reason for our children to learn Turkish! The muslim culture is favored in the parents and in the treatment of their staff. The rudeness of the administration has continued to grow greater each year. Some of the teachers are great this year and really have a passion for the children, but no all. My recommendation? Find a different school for your child - that is what I am in the process doing. Good Luck

Posted August 17, 2010

This school is a JOKE. They are more Intrested in earning awards than really concentrating on the kids. This school is so dis-organized in all areas except giving homework to the kids. The administration is so out of touch that most of them do not even know some answers to your common questions about the school. This is our first year in the school (kindergarten), but I will be pulling out my child by the end of this week. I've also come to understand that the teachers are there to sign in & out, then pass over thier work to the kids as homework for the parents to help them out. More stress to the parents and I'm so disappointed.

Posted August 13, 2010

Great school. They are in a buldiNg that used to house Univ of Phx - so the building is in great shape and quite new. We found the principal and senior staff to be friendly , accessible and very open minded. We don't live very close to the school any more so had to move our son to a different school, but we liked it a lot.

Posted July 1, 2010

xceptional school, its curriculum is advanced by 1 year.Since learning is accelerated it is highly dependent on repetition and parent involvement at home. This will result in alot of homework, but this can be very rewarding in that you will be surprised and proud of what your child can learn. The Parent Advisory Council is very involved and coordinates a variety of creative and fun events within the year. Feild trips are 2x's per year and are academically focused. The school hosts children from many multicultural backgrounds and in effect they develop a healthy respect for diversity.Great social and acedemic bonuses are the free after school clubs,up to 3. The principal quarterly invites parents to schedule meetings with him which is a chance to communicate any questions or concerns. This school only after 2 years already boasts regional and state placements/awards in various academic competitions and were ranked a Top School for AZ in the 2009 Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth Talent Search. In summary this school is only getting better each year and you will soon be seeing an extended waiting list.

Posted May 2, 2010

This is the school we have been hoping for! Finally, a school that offers advanced instruction in math and language arts tailored to the level my child is at! If a child is 1,2,3,or 4 grade levels above the current grade curriculum-they can accomodate this! Excellent academics(they also offer gifted education), after school clubs, and an administration that really listens to parents and cares about students.

Posted February 1, 2010

Paragon Science Academy has been a blessing for my kids, my kids came from a highly academic private school, and it was hard to find a school to accommodate their needs both academically and socially. The environment inside the school is very safe and the teachers are exceptional, especially my son s second grade teacher, she is such a blessing. Overall the curriculum is challenging and there is no time for students left to feel board. I have to disagree with anyone who criticize the administration, as a new school, everyday is an improvement experience for the school, but the most important thing (as my personal experience), the principal s office is always open for any complains as well as compliments, he is such a great guy, who really listen very good and accommodate every student s needs. You can really feel the passion inside him towards getting this school to the best place he can take it, and I really like that his first priority is the student, not the teachers or the parents. It is definitely the best choice you will make for your child s future.

Posted January 25, 2010

Mixed feelings. Our child would've wasted time at any other public school. Paragon's curriculum for the accl courses is one grade up for math & LA (use 1st grade Saxon Math, Spelling & grammar) - LA is mostly taught @ home & no reading in the classrms . Too much time spent doing worksts in and out of class w/ no multisensory and little creativity. Work seems meaningless and does not build appropriately. No discipline or character edu. No fieldtrips but disney movies on some fri ... 2 much HW, even in K, making it hard for other activities. dissappointed w/ the math curr. Had a bad experience w/ our teacher this year, stressed out and overworked it seems. Thinking about a school w/a more well-rounded edu and seasoned teachers.

Posted January 22, 2010

I feel that my childern have a better opportunity to learn in this school . I have 2childern attending Paragoan Academy this year. I have been involved with two other charter schools and I must say, this one is the best. Paragoan Academy makes you feel welcome and they care about your child being successful . I have enjoyed being involved with Paragoan Academy.

Posted January 22, 2010

From my experience with more than one kid attending this school in the past, I found out that the kids' learning depends on the teachers who teach the class. While quite a few teachers are wonderful, others are so uptight about their own ideas and what they think is right schooling. Unfortunately, in general, the teachers (encouraged by the administration and many parents at the school) assign too much HW to kids, often, this homework is meaningless and only serves to appease the parents and give the teachers contentment that they are teaching. Their main focus is on math. while I agree that math is important, a focus on humanities is important too. I liked that most kids were well behaved and that most teachers cared. Teachers that I have had experience with and that were wonderful include Ms Harper, Ms Clapham, Ms O'brien, Mr. Johnson, and Ms Rowley.

Posted January 21, 2010

While I do agree with the previous parent that the administration could see some improvement. I have two children attending Paragon and all of their teachers update their websites daily and communication is excellent. One of my children has been on two field trips this year and there are two more planned. This school may not be for everyone, but my children are excelling and loving it.

Posted January 21, 2010

i think i made a mistake sending my child here. He has been doing striaght A's and E's - i dont' think the material he gets is very challenging or builds appropraitely - a lot of meaningless busy work over and over - spelling and grammar ar entirely parent taught at home with 8 pgs of hw / a week for both plus 2 pages of math everyday - the cons repetition of the same stuff has caused him to lose curiosity or play with numbers he once had for math and science. i alsothink the teacher and classroom discipline is not satisfactory as i think the teachers have little experince or edu on child dev - Kyrene requires at elast a masters and 5+ yrs exp... i might try that.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• This school did not receive a designation in 2010-2011.
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gifted specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
  • Other
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator

Health & athletics

• Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mr. Selim Tanyeri
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 814-1661

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)