Public charter
Students enrolled: 1,231
After care: No

Athlos Traditional Academy 1

Posted July 22, 2015
How can this school promote fairness when they are not fair to their students? This school expects the students to be robots, I'm not the only one who feels this way, look at past reviews! The students are expected to be quiet in class, then when they go to lunch they are expected to be quiet or get yelled at by the aides. They don't even want the kids going to the bathroom at lunch! How can you deny a student the bathroom. Then at recess, my child has told me they aren't allowed to run and play tag or they get yelled at for that. My child was in 4th grade and there were a few students being bad at lunch. So what does the school do? They actually discipline the ENTIRE 4th grade because of a few bad students!! My child was punished when they did nothing wrong. The next day at lunch, all of 4th grade had to have a "silent lunch" where NO one was allowed to speak at all. This school is run like a military school. The principal is horrible it was a great school until she started running it. You never see administration either! When Dr. Croatt was there you saw her and the assistant principal every day out at pick up and walking around the campus all the time. Not anymore, administration is no where to be seen. Who is running this school?

Athlos Traditional Academy
Amount of homework: Too much

Posted July 10, 2015
For junior high, students are given homework for almost every class every day. In math, students are given 1-30 questions each night. That's tough alone as it is, given the school is excelerated. That means that students are doing 1 year above what they should. So if a student goes to a normal school and does Course 2 math, they skip Course 3 and move straight to Algebra. That can be challenging to some students. This plus all the other classes homework everyday can take up to 2-3 hours. Students go to school from around 7:40-2:40. That's 7 hours of school, plus the 2-3 hours of homework. If students are supposed to go to bed by 8-9 that leaves 3-4 of freetime/family time and to some families that is not enough. If you're a family looking to send your child here, take this into consideration.

Athlos Traditional Academy 2

Posted July 10, 2015
Bruh, this school isn't where it's at. Teachers be losing students homework, the administration does not help students as much as they should, do not send your children here.

Athlos Traditional Academy 4

Posted March 17, 2015
The curriculum is good. I love Saxon and Spalding. I love the school uniform idea too, but I wish they would not allow jeans. Jeans are too different in styles and colors and I see kids wear "skinny" jeans or jeans with holes and start bully other kids in uniform pants that they are not stylish.

Posted December 19, 2014
This is our first year at Athlos and we have a special needs child. And the staff has gone above & beyond what other schools would do for a child with autism. He is in a regular based class, gets all the same grading opprutunities as the "normal" children and is also given special education classes and he is receiving 100% on all test scores in both settings! It seems almost all the staff know the all the children by name. There is a lot of homework but isn't that what school is? This is an ACCELERATED school so parents who may complain about that aspect seem a bit silly to me. Don't put your child in this type of setting then. I don't see robots but children who are taught how to behave with manners. I have never heard of the child not being able to ask a question to the teacher. The principal can be a bit off putting at first but once she losens up she is pretty nice.

Posted December 10, 2014
Very professional yet friendly teachers and administration. Strong academics. I know my kids will be ready for high school and college as their study skills have improved immensely. Though I am not 100% crazy about the back-to-basics format, or the lack of block schedule in the upper elementary classes, overall we really like this school. The facility is very nice and my son enjoys the athletic aspect and having P.E. four times a week. We have been very happy here.

Posted September 22, 2014
I find it comical that "parents" complain about too much homework and order and discipline. These sound like parents who are trying to pave the road for their children instead of preparing the children for the road. Maybe someone should remind them that this is an instituting for education... not a daycare. My daughter has attended Athlos since Kindergarten and she loves it ..so do I. She is thriving in her academics. Prospective parents, touring the school will give you a better feel for it. Try it. You won't be disappointed :-)
5 people found this helpful

Athlos Traditional Academy 2

Posted September 21, 2014
I totally agree with the previous review (September,20) that children are treated like robots. Kids can only answer questions that the teacher ask but the kids can not ask any questions to the teacher, no working on groups or have open discussions about any topic, no time to be creative. The kids have to be seated in the same position for hours if not they can loose their recess. This school is teaching kids to be followers and not leaders, very disappointed. Also if you have any issue with a teacher and bring it to the attention to the Principal or VP they wont help you AT ALL! no matter how serious is the problem. AND parents are forbidden to request any teacher. I will be removing my 4 children at the end of the school year.
5 people found this helpful

Athlos Traditional Academy 1

Posted September 20, 2014
Don't be deceived by this school and all of the accolades it receives in the media. They run this school so tightly, that children are treated like robots. It allows very little time for them to be creative and little room to interact with others. Teachers leave in droves, due to their having to be robots to unreasonable expectations and not being treated like professionals. Hence the turnover. This charter district runs on making money and don't let them fool you. Find something better.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 22, 2014
We have been here for 3yrs & love it more every year. The principal and VP are amazing, strict, but in a productive way. I wouldn't want anything less when trying to set high standards for our 'young adults' to achieve. Being at Athlos quite often, the ADM is very well received by the students as well as respected. Every time I am on campus during school hours, I am more impressed with what I see and hear going on in the class rooms. The classes are not small, but they are controlled and the students are participating and not glued to their seats as you see in some traditional school environments. The teachers whom classes I have been in do a wonderful job keeping those who might be distracting to the other students in line as not to deter other kids from learning. The homework is not excessive and tutoring is available if needed. The focus seems to be extremely well rounded: character traits, academics, physical activity & health. The JH is growing and our sports department is coming along. I see that improving as well as the kids who have been there since the beginning ( school is on its 4th yr) will be filling those spots along with involved parents.

Athlos Traditional Academy
, Chandler, AZ  85286
Last modified Athlos Traditional Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Athlos Traditional Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top