Posted September 22, 2014
I find it comical that "parents" complain about too much homework and order and discipline. These sound like parents who are trying to pave the road for their children instead of preparing the children for the road. Maybe someone should remind them that this is an instituting for education... not a daycare. My daughter has attended Athlos since Kindergarten and she loves it ..so do I. She is thriving in her academics. Prospective parents, touring the school will give you a better feel for it. Try it. You won't be disappointed :-)

Posted September 21, 2014
I totally agree with the previous review (September,20) that children are treated like robots. Kids can only answer questions that the teacher ask but the kids can not ask any questions to the teacher, no working on groups or have open discussions about any topic, no time to be creative. The kids have to be seated in the same position for hours if not they can loose their recess. This school is teaching kids to be followers and not leaders, very disappointed. Also if you have any issue with a teacher and bring it to the attention to the Principal or VP they wont help you AT ALL! no matter how serious is the problem. AND parents are forbidden to request any teacher. I will be removing my 4 children at the end of the school year.

Athlos Traditional Academy 1

Posted September 20, 2014
Don't be deceived by this school and all of the accolades it receives in the media. They run this school so tightly, that children are treated like robots. It allows very little time for them to be creative and little room to interact with others. Teachers leave in droves, due to their having to be robots to unreasonable expectations and not being treated like professionals. Hence the turnover. This charter district runs on making money and don't let them fool you. Find something better.

Posted August 22, 2014
We have been here for 3yrs & love it more every year. The principal and VP are amazing, strict, but in a productive way. I wouldn't want anything less when trying to set high standards for our 'young adults' to achieve. Being at Athlos quite often, the ADM is very well received by the students as well as respected. Every time I am on campus during school hours, I am more impressed with what I see and hear going on in the class rooms. The classes are not small, but they are controlled and the students are participating and not glued to their seats as you see in some traditional school environments. The teachers whom classes I have been in do a wonderful job keeping those who might be distracting to the other students in line as not to deter other kids from learning. The homework is not excessive and tutoring is available if needed. The focus seems to be extremely well rounded: character traits, academics, physical activity & health. The JH is growing and our sports department is coming along. I see that improving as well as the kids who have been there since the beginning ( school is on its 4th yr) will be filling those spots along with involved parents.

Posted August 21, 2014
Very strict school almost military. Lots of homework, the principal and assistant principal are not nice. We miss Dr. Croatt and Mr. Fitz miller. Some teachers are excellent, some others are mean and bully the children.

Posted July 24, 2014
We love Athlos! My son needs the extra discipline, and is thriving in this environment. He is very athletic, and the extra P.E. and activity is crucial for his attention span. I can not imagine not being at this school. The teachers have all been amazing, and we have never experienced anything negative. We started at the school when it opened. We have another child that will start next year. This school takes effort as a parent (pick up, and drop off, and extra homework), it is all worth it for this superior school.

Posted May 16, 2014
Nope, not a "defensive staff member"...I just volunteer a lot at the school (flexible work schedule that allows for it) and see the inner workings a lot more than many parents do. That's all. I too don't have the time to wait in a line for 25 minutes at pick up. I just arrive closer to 3 pm and have never had to wait very long. Plus, my kids come out with half their homework done, so it's a win/win. My comments about stay at home moms is simply based on the crew that I see on campus CONSTANTLY who stand in bunches complaining about every detail...instead of offering to help. They enjoy whipping people into a frenzy and starting ridiculous facebook pages devoted to their complaints instead of being productive. I am sure that there are things to pick apart about the school, but it would be pretty easy to find similar issues with any school. For me, it comes down to the educational quality and the experience with my children and their teachers, which has been top notch. My kids have attended other schools in the Chandler district and Athlos is miles ahead of both of them.

Posted May 14, 2014
There is a lot more to a great school than just test scores. To the person who commented on 5/13, I read each and every comment and none of the concerns seem unreasonable. Parents are concerned for the safety of their children crossing that big street. Unfortunately, some of us have kids in other schools and we cannot wait in the pickup line for 25 minutes or we'd be picking up our younger kids who attend a different school, very late. So we have to make the difficult decision of allowing our kids to walk home until we're able to rush over and pick them up. Concerns over the staff turnover are also valid. It's is very concerning to see that many teachers leave over the course of the school year and it's happened every year since they opened. Nobody is expecting to be catered to or coddled and not all of us concerned parents are bored stay at home moms. Honestly the 5/13 review sounds more like it came from a defensive staff member than a parent. I hope things get better because the potential is there. The test scores are there, but changes need to be made in other areas. I can say that their sports program really seems to be coming together. I'm sure next year will be even better!

Posted May 12, 2014
When I enrolled my 2 kids at Athlos for 2012-2013, I was very excited! My youngest is great at math and I knew he'd be challenged more since the curriculum is a grade level up. My oldest started 8th grade there and throughout the school a few jr. high teachers left with short notice. He'd come home and say "Mom, now Mrs.so and so quit today!" It happened at least 3 times which is too many to happen in a school year. Thankfully he went on to high school the following school year. Since my youngest had had a decent school year, (minus student pick up time which was a 40 minute wait) I decided to keep him there for 6th grade. Here we are at the end of the 2013-2014 school year, and he's had 3 different teachers already. My always honor roll or straight A student, is finishing the school year off with Cs-F's. It's like night and day, over 8 months. When concerns were brought up to principal, I wasn't taken seriously at all. The new principal is no where near as professional as last year's principal, who also left. Student pick up improved slightly. They still can't seem to keep their teachers there. Excited to be leaving. Never looking back! Just my family's personal experience.

Posted January 25, 2014
Actually the pick up problem is true, I have never picked up my kids in 5 min even when I'm at the front of the line. 3 times a parent has almost hit my car head on becasue they were speeding and going the wrong way. I notice a huge difference from last year. Many staff have left and continue to leave. The focus is on increassing attendance. Flag is now 10-12 min long and class does not start until 8:15 or after. Much is spent handing out ribbons to teachers (NOT parents) who have 100% attendance. There are still many good teachers there but it's obvious many don't respect the principal Many teachers don't show up for flag or just chat the entire time. Athlos alows a parent to coach the kinder cheers who brings her toddler son who hits the cheer leaders and runs out on the court during a game. Also check out the 35 page science fair instruction packet and revisons and forms before considering.Athlos. My family loves the traditonal appraoch we are just not sure if Athlos is the school for us anymore.

Athlos Traditional Academy
, Chandler, AZ  85286
Last modified Athlos Traditional Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Athlos Traditional Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews.