Public charter
Students enrolled: 1,231
After care: No

Athlos Traditional Academy 2

Posted August 14, 2015
I have two chidren who attend this school. One child is in 4th grade and the other in 8th. My child's teacher lost her homework and then gave my daughter an F on something I watched her turn in! The students are pushed too far and the math is extremely challenging. I have a junior high student also and they are worked too hard. Some students are taken as victims when they are really bullies. My son is in 8th grade and went to Athlos last year also, he is an extremely bright boy and it takes him at least 2 hours to do his homework. This really cuts down on family time. They say that they prevent bullying, when really it happens all the time and when it is brought to thieir attention, they don't do anything about it, or they make it worse. At lunch the students can't even get up to go to the bathroom without being yelled at. Last year one kid was throwing the balls for reccess at people and instead of punishing that one student, they punished the entire junior high. The parents weren't even told about this. The only reason I found out was because of my kids! The junior high has PRIDE Points for behavior and teachers take them for simply, reading when they have finished their tests. Also, when students finish their work early and they work on another classes homework because they have time to, the teacher will yell at them and take the homework away so that the student gets a 0% on whatever they were working on, but they don't even get a warning, telling them to put it away. Other times, they are yelling at the students because they are not working on something from another class when they are finished. They promote a heathy life style and balanced meals, but then they feed their students fried "chicken" sandwiches and the "salad bar" is cut up, three week old pizza and moldy potato sald with purple stuff on it. This is what I call hypocrites. About half the students here are over-weight and they wonder why! I am fed up with this school and I would seriously reconsider if you are thinking about sending your kids here.

Posted August 04, 2015
We are so happy we chose this school for our daughter. This is our second year (daughter just started first grade) and we are looking forward to many more years! The teachers, administration and leadership are absolutely outstanding! The principal is amazing and is always available. My daughter loves going to school and adores all of her teachers. She is nurtured and appropriately challenged while also being taught the importance of kindness and citizenship. Parents are asked to be activate participants their children's education in any way they can and I think that is one of the best parts. Athlos is an A+ school and I would recommend to anyone!

Posted August 04, 2015
I love Athlos. This is our second year with the school and we couldn't be more satisfied. I am just amazed with how much information my daughter can hold in that little head of hers. My daughter looks forward to going to school, she loves her teachers and the staff. My daughter feels safe and cared for. That is the type of environment I want her in. Yes they have high expectations for these kids, they have rules to follow but It's all to benefit them in the future. Athlos also encourages families to be involved in the school which is awesome. I love that! As far as academics, my daughter is challenged on a daily basis but she loves it. It's nothing she can't handle. I believe my husband and I have made the right choice picking Athlos.

Athlos Traditional Academy 1

Posted July 22, 2015
How can this school promote fairness when they are not fair to their students? This school expects the students to be robots, I'm not the only one who feels this way, look at past reviews! The students are expected to be quiet in class, then when they go to lunch they are expected to be quiet or get yelled at by the aides. They don't even want the kids going to the bathroom at lunch! How can you deny a student the bathroom. Then at recess, my child has told me they aren't allowed to run and play tag or they get yelled at for that. My child was in 4th grade and there were a few students being bad at lunch. So what does the school do? They actually discipline the ENTIRE 4th grade because of a few bad students!! My child was punished when they did nothing wrong. The next day at lunch, all of 4th grade had to have a "silent lunch" where NO one was allowed to speak at all. This school is run like a military school. The principal is horrible it was a great school until she started running it. You never see administration either! When Dr. Croatt was there you saw her and the assistant principal every day out at pick up and walking around the campus all the time. Not anymore, administration is no where to be seen. Who is running this school?

Athlos Traditional Academy
Amount of homework: Too much

Posted July 10, 2015
For junior high, students are given homework for almost every class every day. In math, students are given 1-30 questions each night. That's tough alone as it is, given the school is excelerated. That means that students are doing 1 year above what they should. So if a student goes to a normal school and does Course 2 math, they skip Course 3 and move straight to Algebra. That can be challenging to some students. This plus all the other classes homework everyday can take up to 2-3 hours. Students go to school from around 7:40-2:40. That's 7 hours of school, plus the 2-3 hours of homework. If students are supposed to go to bed by 8-9 that leaves 3-4 of freetime/family time and to some families that is not enough. If you're a family looking to send your child here, take this into consideration.

Athlos Traditional Academy 2

Posted July 10, 2015
Bruh, this school isn't where it's at. Teachers be losing students homework, the administration does not help students as much as they should, do not send your children here.

Athlos Traditional Academy 4

Posted March 17, 2015
The curriculum is good. I love Saxon and Spalding. I love the school uniform idea too, but I wish they would not allow jeans. Jeans are too different in styles and colors and I see kids wear "skinny" jeans or jeans with holes and start bully other kids in uniform pants that they are not stylish.

Posted December 19, 2014
This is our first year at Athlos and we have a special needs child. And the staff has gone above & beyond what other schools would do for a child with autism. He is in a regular based class, gets all the same grading opprutunities as the "normal" children and is also given special education classes and he is receiving 100% on all test scores in both settings! It seems almost all the staff know the all the children by name. There is a lot of homework but isn't that what school is? This is an ACCELERATED school so parents who may complain about that aspect seem a bit silly to me. Don't put your child in this type of setting then. I don't see robots but children who are taught how to behave with manners. I have never heard of the child not being able to ask a question to the teacher. The principal can be a bit off putting at first but once she losens up she is pretty nice.

Posted December 10, 2014
Very professional yet friendly teachers and administration. Strong academics. I know my kids will be ready for high school and college as their study skills have improved immensely. Though I am not 100% crazy about the back-to-basics format, or the lack of block schedule in the upper elementary classes, overall we really like this school. The facility is very nice and my son enjoys the athletic aspect and having P.E. four times a week. We have been very happy here.

Posted September 22, 2014
I find it comical that "parents" complain about too much homework and order and discipline. These sound like parents who are trying to pave the road for their children instead of preparing the children for the road. Maybe someone should remind them that this is an instituting for education... not a daycare. My daughter has attended Athlos since Kindergarten and she loves it ..so do I. She is thriving in her academics. Prospective parents, touring the school will give you a better feel for it. Try it. You won't be disappointed :-)

Athlos Traditional Academy
, Chandler, AZ  85286
Last modified Athlos Traditional Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Athlos Traditional Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top