Public charter
Chandler, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,231
After care: No

Posted December 19, 2014
This is our first year at Athlos and we have a special needs child. And the staff has gone above & beyond what other schools would do for a child with autism. He is in a regular based class, gets all the same grading opprutunities as the "normal" children and is also given special education classes and he is receiving 100% on all test scores in both settings! It seems almost all the staff know the all the children by name. There is a lot of homework but isn't that what school is? This is an ACCELERATED school so parents who may complain about that aspect seem a bit silly to me. Don't put your child in this type of setting then. I don't see robots but children who are taught how to behave with manners. I have never heard of the child not being able to ask a question to the teacher. The principal can be a bit off putting at first but once she losens up she is pretty nice.

Posted December 10, 2014
Very professional yet friendly teachers and administration. Strong academics. I know my kids will be ready for high school and college as their study skills have improved immensely. Though I am not 100% crazy about the back-to-basics format, or the lack of block schedule in the upper elementary classes, overall we really like this school. The facility is very nice and my son enjoys the athletic aspect and having P.E. four times a week. We have been very happy here.

Posted September 22, 2014
I find it comical that "parents" complain about too much homework and order and discipline. These sound like parents who are trying to pave the road for their children instead of preparing the children for the road. Maybe someone should remind them that this is an instituting for education... not a daycare. My daughter has attended Athlos since Kindergarten and she loves it ..so do I. She is thriving in her academics. Prospective parents, touring the school will give you a better feel for it. Try it. You won't be disappointed :-)

Posted September 21, 2014
I totally agree with the previous review (September,20) that children are treated like robots. Kids can only answer questions that the teacher ask but the kids can not ask any questions to the teacher, no working on groups or have open discussions about any topic, no time to be creative. The kids have to be seated in the same position for hours if not they can loose their recess. This school is teaching kids to be followers and not leaders, very disappointed. Also if you have any issue with a teacher and bring it to the attention to the Principal or VP they wont help you AT ALL! no matter how serious is the problem. AND parents are forbidden to request any teacher. I will be removing my 4 children at the end of the school year.

Athlos Traditional Academy 1

Posted September 20, 2014
Don't be deceived by this school and all of the accolades it receives in the media. They run this school so tightly, that children are treated like robots. It allows very little time for them to be creative and little room to interact with others. Teachers leave in droves, due to their having to be robots to unreasonable expectations and not being treated like professionals. Hence the turnover. This charter district runs on making money and don't let them fool you. Find something better.

Posted August 22, 2014
We have been here for 3yrs & love it more every year. The principal and VP are amazing, strict, but in a productive way. I wouldn't want anything less when trying to set high standards for our 'young adults' to achieve. Being at Athlos quite often, the ADM is very well received by the students as well as respected. Every time I am on campus during school hours, I am more impressed with what I see and hear going on in the class rooms. The classes are not small, but they are controlled and the students are participating and not glued to their seats as you see in some traditional school environments. The teachers whom classes I have been in do a wonderful job keeping those who might be distracting to the other students in line as not to deter other kids from learning. The homework is not excessive and tutoring is available if needed. The focus seems to be extremely well rounded: character traits, academics, physical activity & health. The JH is growing and our sports department is coming along. I see that improving as well as the kids who have been there since the beginning ( school is on its 4th yr) will be filling those spots along with involved parents.

Posted August 21, 2014
Very strict school almost military. Lots of homework, the principal and assistant principal are not nice. We miss Dr. Croatt and Mr. Fitz miller. Some teachers are excellent, some others are mean and bully the children.

Posted July 24, 2014
We love Athlos! My son needs the extra discipline, and is thriving in this environment. He is very athletic, and the extra P.E. and activity is crucial for his attention span. I can not imagine not being at this school. The teachers have all been amazing, and we have never experienced anything negative. We started at the school when it opened. We have another child that will start next year. This school takes effort as a parent (pick up, and drop off, and extra homework), it is all worth it for this superior school.

Posted May 16, 2014
Nope, not a "defensive staff member"...I just volunteer a lot at the school (flexible work schedule that allows for it) and see the inner workings a lot more than many parents do. That's all. I too don't have the time to wait in a line for 25 minutes at pick up. I just arrive closer to 3 pm and have never had to wait very long. Plus, my kids come out with half their homework done, so it's a win/win. My comments about stay at home moms is simply based on the crew that I see on campus CONSTANTLY who stand in bunches complaining about every detail...instead of offering to help. They enjoy whipping people into a frenzy and starting ridiculous facebook pages devoted to their complaints instead of being productive. I am sure that there are things to pick apart about the school, but it would be pretty easy to find similar issues with any school. For me, it comes down to the educational quality and the experience with my children and their teachers, which has been top notch. My kids have attended other schools in the Chandler district and Athlos is miles ahead of both of them.

Posted May 14, 2014
There is a lot more to a great school than just test scores. To the person who commented on 5/13, I read each and every comment and none of the concerns seem unreasonable. Parents are concerned for the safety of their children crossing that big street. Unfortunately, some of us have kids in other schools and we cannot wait in the pickup line for 25 minutes or we'd be picking up our younger kids who attend a different school, very late. So we have to make the difficult decision of allowing our kids to walk home until we're able to rush over and pick them up. Concerns over the staff turnover are also valid. It's is very concerning to see that many teachers leave over the course of the school year and it's happened every year since they opened. Nobody is expecting to be catered to or coddled and not all of us concerned parents are bored stay at home moms. Honestly the 5/13 review sounds more like it came from a defensive staff member than a parent. I hope things get better because the potential is there. The test scores are there, but changes need to be made in other areas. I can say that their sports program really seems to be coming together. I'm sure next year will be even better!

Athlos Traditional Academy
, Chandler, AZ  85286
Last modified Athlos Traditional Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Athlos Traditional Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top