School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I’m Mrs. McMillian, the current principal at Legacy Traditional School-Chandler which is formally known as Athlos Traditional Academy. First, I appreciate all the feedback parents provide on this site. As for the families that have concerns, I welcome a sit down meeting to discuss ways we can address your concerns. I believe the Arizona Department of Education stating I have two years of teaching experience is referencing my standard teaching certificate. Teachers have a provisional year before their standard certificate. I taught three years under my teaching certificate, one year as a second grade teacher in a different school and two years as a 1st grade teacher with Legacy Traditional School-Maricopa. Prior to having my certificate, I taught two years of Kindergarten at a charter school without a teaching certificate because it was not required. I do currently hold a principal certificate with the Arizona Department of Education. I hope that helps clear up some of the information that is being stated incorrectly on this site. Again, I welcome any and all concerns or feedback. You may contact the campus front office to set up a meeting with me to discuss specific concerns. I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of their 2015-2016 school year at whatever school they find as the best fit for their children.
January 25, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

We have had the most amazing and positive experience at Legacy Traditional School-Chandler (formerly Athlos). Our children previously attended a public school and we transferred to Legacy Chandler this past school year. My husband and I immediately saw a change in our children. They were happier, more outgoing and confident. I love how they get a special every single day, the homework is not too overwhelming, and I LOVE the teachers & administration. I had to talk to the principal about an issue that was immediately addressed and rectified. The teachers go above and beyond. The communication is wonderful and the sense of community is extremely refreshing. We are extremely happy our children attend Legacy Chandler!

We had a good experience at Athlos. I liked the accelerated curriculum and how the kids are continually challenged. My 4th grader had a horrible experience last year in 4th grade due to his teacher. I spoke to Principal McMillian and she was very helpful resolving the issues that I had. The school is very strict and they could work on that but, honestly no school is perfect. I moved my kids to a different school this year and I have to say sometimes we do miss Athlos.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted January 25, 2016

Legacy Traditional School mission is to provide motivated students with the opportunity to achieve academic excellence in an accelerated, back-to-basics, safe learning environment taught by caring, knowledgeable and highly effective educators in cooperation with supportive, involved parents.

Amount of homework: Disagree

To the "parent" ( school employee) you may want to get your FACTS straight! So I guess the Arizona Board of Education was lying when they show that principal McMillian had her teaching certify for 2 years prior to obtaining her principal credentials? So before she taught 2 years in first, what were the "other" 3 years? She did not teach 3 years prior to that. I also supposed Arizona state board is lying when they list Basis as the number 1 charter school. Sorry, but I would rather go off the board of educations website then some local magazine. And we did try to go to admin about some problems going on in 6th & JH to no avail. They listen, but do nothing so you shouldn't assume. Funny how many other comments are the same. There is a reason there is a high rate of student turnover!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

There was an issue with retaining staff but what school isn't with a teacher shortage. As stated, this was an issue before but has not been an issue for 2 years now.

Amount of homework: Agree

They have homework Monday - Friday with 9 week long term projects which include poem recitation and book report.

Other reviews are true! This is a terrible school. They don't care about kids it's ran like a business. I'm so glad I took my kids out of here. The principal doesn't know what she's doing but that's not surprising considering she's in her mid 20's and has 2 years of teaching experience! I found out in the state of Arizona a principal needs 3 years, but charter schools are not regulated. Kids can't be unique here, it's a military school. If your kid is not gifted, they don't want them, they will mess up there numbers. If you're not Mormon you won't get preferential treatment like owners kids! Staff turnover is extremely high. We moved to Great Hearts and it was the best decision ever made!

Currently have 3 children enrolled at Athlos (2 in elementary, 1 in junior high). My oldest has been at Athlos since it opened. Elementary experience has been fantastic - very happy with curriculum, methodology and student management. Junior High has been a disappointment. The differentiating factors that make Athlos so great for K-6 seem to be missing in 7-8. Teachers (many, but not all) seem to be going through the motions in 7-8. Instead of DEALING with student issues, they simply deduct pride points and send a curt email to the parents. Homework is another issue. Having homework every night is not a problem, but the zero tolerance policy for missing homework IS a problem. No flexibility whatsoever for missed homework. An example: our student missed a homework assignment due to a doctor appointment. Received a zero out of 100 points, without a chance to make it up. We asked if the homework could be turned in late for half-credit -and were told no. Period. If my understanding of this policy is incorrect, I hope that someone can clarify it - as this is what was communicated to me by the teacher. I do think that the Principal is going a great job, she has a huge responsibility to keep Athlos "special" in comparison to other schools, but there is only so much she can do on her own. In summary, I would give Athlos K-6 five stars (GREAT), and give 7-8 grade ......"Average-minus".

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

K-6 - VERY EFFECTIVE 7-8 - Somewhat effective (there are a few very highly effective Jr. High teachers, but also some very ineffective ones)

Last modified Legacy Traditional School - Chandler is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.