PK-5 & Ungraded
Chandler, AZ

Posted May 23, 2015
Kyrene de la Mirada provides a positive, friendly environment that is challenging students to grow academically, improve their character and leadership skills and be a part of a community where diversity of all kinds is celebrated. The principal and assistant principal know an incredible number of parents and students by name because they take the time to get to know the families. Family and student input is welcomed and encouraged. Teachers knows their students' strengths as well as their needs and communicate about curriculum and student progress regularly with parents. The environment of the school is welcoming and home-like with art and inspirational sayings on the walls. The classes all follow the Lead In Me program and stay focused on the character strengths they are building. We love this school and have several friends who have come and loved it as well.

Kyrene De La Mirada School
Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 22, 2015
The Leader in Me program and 7 Habits is AMAZING! We have incorporated it within our home as well. It teaches the students to respect others, themselves and how to be decent human beings.

Kyrene De La Mirada School 2

Posted May 15, 2015
I have 2 children currently enrolled here. All together we've been at Mirada for 4 years. Unfortunately this will be our last. Other than a few good teachers, this school has nothing great to offer it's students & families. The principle & vice principle are non engaging, the front office staff is typically cold & the PTO is unorganized & run together as a clique. It's gotten worse over the years. When I first started sending my children here the diversity was appealing, but now I have a whole new outlook. I've seen firsthand how many resources & time is spent on children with serious behavioral problems. & I don't mean special needs. Children who act out & disrupt the class throughout the day & pose potential threats to other students. This past year I was the only parent in both my children's classrooms who donated items on a constant basis. It really has me questioning, "Where does the money from the state & constant PTO fundraisers go? Why aren't other parents donating?" It's a disconnected environment where a lot of families aren't involved with their children's education. Look elsewhere.

Kyrene De La Mirada School 4

Posted June 27, 2014
We moved to be able to send our child to a Kyrene school. After two years in the Tempe Elementary School District, we were very dissatisfied!!! Our move was worth it. For the first time, he is in an "A" rated school with quality teachers and academics. The Leader in Me program is fantastic! Expectations are set high for staff as well as students. The PTO was just formed last year and as a result it was a bit of a scramble and learning curve. I'm looking forward to more parent/community outreach and volunteerism as the organization grows.

Posted June 12, 2014
Very disappointed this school year with the school, not our child's teacher who was pretty great. In general, this is a mediocre school who celebrates their mediocrity as excellence. While they do have some excellent programs, such as the Leader in Me, the academics pale in comparison to other schools in the district and in the Phoenix-Chandler-Gilbert metro. Test scores that equate to a B, while good, are not the same as the excellence of an A. Front office staff is typically rude to parents, even those parents who are coming in to volunteer. I believe parent involvement is key to the success of the kids and school. PTA/PTO are typically the key to the involvement door. This PTO is very exclusive, certainly not inclusive. So if you are an outsider who has any gifts, talents or ideas to share - don't bother, because you will NOT be included. We were even told point blank that our help was not wanted. It's sad because this diverse neighborhood school has so much potential.

Posted October 16, 2012
We just relocated here to AZ and not only do my children enjoy the school but we as parents enjoy the nice staff, teachers and friendly environment! We are very please!!!

Posted June 26, 2007
Academic programs are good, my son took part in many extracurricural activitis like paining, soccer, etc. My wife regularly volunteered in the class. We are happy with this school.

Posted April 25, 2006
The quality of academic programs is solid to good for AZ. That means anyone moving from the northeast, or any other area of the country will be severely disappointed in the lack of rigor in the academic program; both here and in the state as a whole.

Posted April 24, 2006
Poor quality academic program. We are from the East Coast and are used to a much higher quality education. Needless to say we've since put our son intoa private school.

Kyrene De La Mirada School 4

Posted September 02, 2005
Very well organized. Students make good progress.

Kyrene De La Mirada School
5500 W Galveston Street, Chandler, AZ  85226
Last modified Kyrene De La Mirada School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kyrene De La Mirada School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top