Kyrene Traditional - Sureno Campus

Public | K-5 | 425 students

KTA is Kyrene's first Traditional Elementary School.

Sweep tile

Posted October 14, 2013

First, disregard all the previous reviews from 2 years back. The Sureno campus is now a traditional academy, much like others in the east valley that use the name. As such, a traditional academy's curriculum and methods are different from non-traditional schools. Also, the current principal and many of the staff are also new to this particular school. Let me say that this school is excellent. My daughter was in kindergarten in KTA's first year. Her K teacher was Kyrene's new teacher of the year and was awesome. She was available to talk to and responds in a timely manner. The principal, Dr. Lescher, runs the school very well and communicates to everyone. That is one of the many things I like about KTA, YOU WILL KNOW WHATS GOING ON AT SCHOOL. Spalding reading and Saxon math works well. Parents must attend 4 events a year that have to do with your child's school and education and must volunteer 5 hrs/year. There is a dress code (very reasonable). And most importantly, kids are taught self-responsibility and respectfulness towards everyone. The traditional model is how a school should be and is what I grew up with. Thats why my daughter is there and not at her home school.

Posted August 22, 2013

Love KTA can't wait for my other kids to be in Kindergarten at there, My 8 year old child is so motivated every day to go to school , the environment is warm and the education programs really keep the children committed to learn. I'm so happy with the dress code as well, no more necessity of spending money in clothing for every season.

Posted August 22, 2013

Having both my kids attend KTA is one of the best decisions I've made. Excellent teacher quality and an incredible Principal as an administrator, what more could I ask for. Hope KTA expands to K-8. Absolutely love this school.

Posted August 21, 2013

My daughter loves the teachers here at KTA! This school has outstanding teachers and a dedicated principal! We look forward to a great year!

Posted August 17, 2013

I have a daughter who just started kindergarten at KTA. She was a little homesick the first couple of weeks but her teacher, Mrs. Cano, was so loving, understanding and supportive in helping her to adjust to the long school day and she loves going to school and learning with all her friends. The atmosphere at KTA is warm, nurturing and dedicated. All the staff and teachers really seem to have the kids best interest and safety at heart. I love the dress code. No hassle getting ready in the morning :) I love the curriculum with the spalding reading and writing program. The school wide behavior system with the 3B's: be safe, be responsible and be respectful is something that every school should implement. It is sad that you have to have your child at a school of choice to get the quality education and discipline that should be a given at every school. I love that KTA emphasizes the importance of academics, discipline, appropriate behavior within yourself and towards others and being a valued member of society - something that has greatly been lost in society today. By attending Kyrene Traditional Academy, my daughter will be a well prepared and successful member of society.

Posted August 16, 2013

I absolutely love this school. I transferred my children here last year when the KTA curriculum was adopted and both my 1st and 4th graders are excelling more than at other school districts. I absolutely rave about the teachers, who really do care about the children and their development. They also try and focus on teaching critical thinking and trying new ways to address the required education that is passed down from state and federal guidelines. The after school extra curricular activities they provide are amazing and my kids beg to do them when they have signups. The campus is clean, safe and inviting. I recommend anyone looking into this school, to sign your children up!

Posted August 16, 2013

Please note that the test scores are from 2011-2012 Before this school transitioned into a Traditional Academy. I can tell you that with the new curriculum 2012-2013 those scores will be much higher! In 4 years at this school we have never had any issues with bullying or anything. They teach students to be respectful, responsible, and safe!

Posted July 31, 2013

I enrolled my kids last year in this school, my son in Kindergarten and my in 3rd grade. I really like the teacher's participation and involvement with the kid s development. Each teacher and the principal provide strong leadership. The 3 B (Be respectful, be responsible and be safe) - practiced in this school helps promote the Child as an individual. This school provides a good base for a holistic development they encourage both academic and extracurricular activities. The traditional method of teaching language and math has proved to be very effective for my kids. They are able to spell, read, and write fluently.

Posted July 11, 2013

As the Principal of Kyrene Traditional Academy, and as an educator for 30 years, I am extremely proud to be the leader of this amazing school! In our transformation to a Traditional School Model, we have kept the very strong faculty and staff relationships and dedication to student success while adopting very successful instructional programs such as Spalding Phonics and Reading and Saxon Mathematics. As a Kyrene School, we have the benefit of all that Kyrene has to offer and in our design of instruction for students, have made the Kyrene Traditional model stronger than traditional models at other East Valley schools. Students learn in rigorous and structured settings while also having opportunities for problem-based learning, collaborative group projects and incredible citizenship and leadership building activities daily. Our Honor Society and Student Council provide opportunities for service projects and our PTO has many exciting events and activities planed in both educational and social areas. New this year will be a STEM program for our gifted students that will be the first of it's kind in Kyrene! We invite you to KTA for an amazing learning environment !

Posted July 10, 2013

As a teacher who has been associated with Kyrene del Sureno Elementary School now the new Kyrene Traditional Academy for over eighteen years, I remain excited & encouraged by the consistent support & staff efforts made to meet the needs of students, the high expectations that are set for academic excellence, & the opportunity to work closely with such a diverse community. Our students have made incredible strides in early literacy skills this past year! The daily (Spalding) phonograms practiced have greatly helped students link spoken sounds to print while reading and writing. Even kindergarten students have greater awareness with identifying the parts of speech & composing declarative, interrogative, & exclamatory sentences orally and when writing informative & narrative passages. Our children are encouraged to be self-disciplined, conscientious, & responsible citizens, scholars, friends. (Not to mention that they look darling in their uniforms too!) KTA is a great place to learn & grow. We care about each other & I am extremely proud to be a part of this dynamic community!

Posted July 3, 2013

My children attended this school before it was a traditional academy, and it was excellent then. The teachers are dedicated and committed often putting in extra time. This has not changed with the transformation to traditional. The uniforms are an excellent addition, the discipline plan is spot on and has improved the school over all. I can't say enough.

Posted July 2, 2013

My son has gone here since kinder and will be in the 5th grade this year. I was really hesitant about the switchover from a regular school to a traditional one. However my son was adamant that he continue here so we tried it out. What has stayed the same is the consistency of professional teachers and staff. The curriculum is different but my son did well with the addition of the Spaulding program. I love the idea of the uniforms - the kids look so great and getting ready for school is so easy now. I also thought the requirement of parental involvement was great and not too much of an issue for working parents as they had lots of options on getting involved. I would recommend this school to anyone - it's a great community.

Posted July 2, 2013

My fifth grader has attended this school since Kindergarten, and I've been really pleased with the recent transition to the traditional academy format. The teachers have high academic and citizenship standards for the children. Her home room teacher and her gifted teacher quickly responded to my questions and were easily accessible by phone and email. My daughter really enjoyed her science and gifted class and the after-school drama program.

Posted July 2, 2013

An excellent school bringing in a proper blend of academics , discipline and behavior. The teachers are so involved and very reciprocative. Totally satisfied with the choice of this school for both my boys ( 4th grade and K ).

Posted May 17, 2013

This is truly an awesome school. High academic standards, uniforms, school behavior plan, parent involvement, lots of school activities, active PTO, caring and professional teachers. What more could a parent ask for?

Posted January 3, 2011

I have tried this school for 3 years now. I can tell you that it is not a good school. Even in the middle of the year I am always thinking on moving my daughter out from Sureno. My daughter is a gifted child and very smart for that school. Instead of being supported by the teacher and really pushed to her limits, to reach her potential. she is kept down and treated with mediocrity. The teacher is really light-headed and does not work well with the gifted or the above average children. And to think that this teacher is specialized for the gifted education, than I could probably do a better job with much child at home. The PTO is a clan, and the teachers want to be only on the comfortable side, so they don't work as they should do. I give this school only 1 star and it is too much.

Posted September 15, 2010

This school seems to do very well academically but the teachers do not seem to work well with the students. My daughter attended the 5th grade there and had a hard time with the teacher because she did not catch on to some of the subjects as the teacher had expected. My son is now in kindergarten there and I am not thrilled with the way the teacher is with my son either. If the students do no conform and act like robots there is a problem. There is no individuality in this school, every child is expected to act perfect it seems and learn exactly the same way. In all hopes we will not be returning again next year or change schools soon.

Posted October 5, 2009

My daughter goes there. It is a wonderful place to learn!

Posted April 16, 2009

As a parent of a child that will be entering the 12th Grade in Chandler next year, I would like to commed the teachers, staff and the PTO organization at Sureno for ensuring that my son received the foundation to excell at a higher level in his elementry school years. It is because of the strong foundation and teachings that my son will graduate with honors next year. Thank you!

Posted October 8, 2008

We moved here from Minnesota, leaving behind a top notch education. This is the second year my children are at del sureno and I am very pleased. The first and fifth grade teachers challenged my children appropriately. There are many hands on activities, as well as assignments where kids can express themselves. I am happy and my children are thankful each day for their school and teachers.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 6% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • High Performance Award from Arizona Department of Education (2012)
  • "A" Grade from Arizona Department of Education (2012)
  • Exemplary Program Award from AZ Educational Foundation (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Kyrene Principal of the Year, Dr. Lescher (2013)
  • Kyrene New Teacher of the Year, Ms. Casper (2013)
  • Most Improved Energy Efficiency Building AZ K-12 (2013)

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 3:05 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Dr. Marianne L. Lescher
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 541-5410

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • STEM
  • Traditional Model of Instruction
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Kyrene Family Resource Center

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom