Sycamore Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted August 28, 2013

Sycamore is a school in a rural area that is coping with over crowding this year. There are many new teachers, some of who could use a little more experience in my opinion. I am never worried about the safety of my child and am thankful for the on-site preschool and after care program which I need as a family with 2 full time working parents. I like the schools stance on healthy eating and no sugar allowed (even at birthdays), but wish some of the school lunch options were healthier. The school is very aggressive about education and my daughter is often doing work at a much higher level than other kids we know that are the same age/grade at other local schools and out of state. The parent involvement is immense by some but lacking as a whole. Overall, my daughter has made good friends and has a close relationship with her teacher and other staff- all while getting a very good education.

Posted August 24, 2013

My daughter has been attending Sycamore since Preschool. We couldn't be happier. The Principal Mr Graff is very supportive of the teachers, staff and students. The teachers strive to make sure each student is learning at his/her potential. Corona has a small town feel and Sycamore feels very much like a family. The school consistently gets an A rating from the school and has very high standards for its curriculum.

Posted August 1, 2013

My kiddos go to Syacamore Ele. When we came back from overseas..I did a lot of research. I found this school. I told my realtor that this is the school that I wanted my kids to attend! We have been here for two years and it is OUTSTANDING!!!

Posted October 22, 2012

I would not suggest to parents with children whose child can read and do math above grade level to enroll their child here. It's a one size fits all education at least as far as I've seen in grades K-2. It's a shame they don't understand want differential education is all about. My child could add in Kindergarten and they have him connecting the dots still in first grade. What a waste of a good mind. The sad thing is when we tried to bring it to the teachers attention she was extremely rude and insulting. She spoke to us as if we were inferior to her intellect. Shame on the district for letting Sycamore Elementary and some of their teachers believe their above doing what s in the best interest of the student!

Posted February 3, 2012

I couldn't be more pleased with this school. One of the best schools in the state!

Posted May 20, 2011

Awesome! My kids go here and it has been very good for them. They're teachers are very good at making sure each childs individual needs are taken care of.

Posted May 8, 2010

Sycamore is our 4th school and by far the best. I have 3 kids that go there now and 1 going soon. We will never leave Sycamore!!! The staff is excellent, very communitive. I fell like I have a huge family in Sycamore. Very community oriented, and great for my kids!! Mr. Graff is the best principal, very caring and makes an effort to know the kids by name. I love that they teach the kids more than reading, writing and arthmatic, but also responsibilty, caring and how to work!! The partents are givien oppertunities to get involved,and the PTA is going strong here!!!

Posted April 27, 2010

I love how Sycamore seems to bring together our families & commuity. The staff is remarkable & our children are excelling!

Posted April 26, 2010

It is an A+ school, excelling school. Very family and community oriented.

Posted April 26, 2010

Parents, staff, and community come together for the children. It feels like family!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 19, 2010

Sycamore has earned an A+ Award for excellence. The school provides many opportunities for gifted students and support through mentors for children to help them by example. All three of my children have benefited from these programs.

Posted March 19, 2010

Sycamore is by far one of the best schools, my children and I have had the privelage of being involved in. Mr. Graff is an excellent prinicipal and really cares about his students and staff. I have been completely impressed with all aspects of this school. I would totally recommend this school to anyone looking to relocate in this area!

Posted November 5, 2009

Sycamore is an excelling A+ school. They always strive to make the children succeed to their best abilities. Parents are strongly encouraged to participate in their child's education.

Posted July 26, 2008

We transfered to sycamore after having our children in Dept of Defense schools in Japan. The school was on par with the curriculum at DoDs school (which are normally ranked in the top 10% of schools in the nation) Kudos to Ken Graf and staff.

Posted May 22, 2007

We have been in the Vail District for 5 years and we LOVE it! My kids have attended Desert Willow, Mesquite Elementary and are now at Sycamore. We have been with Sycamore for 3 years and I would have to say it is an OUTSTANDING school! I would like to give some praise to one of Sycamore's finest teachers, Mrs. Kim Balstad. She cares for each one of her students as if they were her own and in her class there is no such thing as failing. Kim Balstad is one of a kind! I would like to see Sycamore offer more extracurricular activities and spend a little less time on testing. I know that when I drop my children off to school each day they are in safe hands. I look forward to another great year with Sycamore!

Posted March 27, 2007

Our daughter transferred from TUSD to Vail School District when we moved and it was the best move we could have ever made. The testing definitely identifies where she needs to improve and those areas are addressed. Vail also offers intersession help for those students that need it. That is a big bonus. The onsite aftercare is also excellent. While we have not had any reason to interface with the principal, the entire staff certainly gives an air of 'open door' policy. The teachers do an excellent job of communicating with parents through newsletters; we always know what's going on in the classroom. The kindergarten curriculum is more challenging than in the other school my son was enrolled in. My kids have been at Sycamore collectively for 4 years. We feel we have had great teachers, even the teachers who were in their first year of teaching were excellent.

Posted March 14, 2007

My wife and I took our daughter out of the school due to a discipline issue in her classroom. There was no support from administration other than a meeting to pacify the situation and appease us. The other parent's comments about the only thing they rely on is testing is correct.

Posted September 19, 2006

I recently moved to the Vail area from California and was so concerned about my children starting school in a new area, however I am so pleased with my childrens academic success and with all of the teachers and other staff. Everyone here is great and my children are doing very well.

Posted September 19, 2006

When had chose a house to be built in the Vail School district because it is one of the top 5 districts in Arizona. I am disappointed in the way this school educates, disciplines, and disregards my suggestions. I will not list every little detail. I think it unnecessary and unrespectful for my child to be recognized as a number and not by his name. However he is known by his name when he reprimanded. There is no sport activities. Sycamore concentrates on testing scores. This is his second year at Sycamore. Maybe the last.

Posted September 18, 2006

My daughter has done so well at Sycamore.She absolutely loves it.She has straight A's, and she loves her teachers.The principle, Mr. Graff, is excellent and genuinely cares for his staff and students.I have found that even though my daughter has only attended Sycamore for kindergarten and 1st grade, other teachers know her by name and make it a point to know each student on a first name basis, which makes me feel extra comfortable knowing that she is being watched over and cared for by everyone there.The staff also encourages parent participation whenever possible, which is also comforting to know I can drop in anytime to check on my daughter and her teachers.I definitely recommend Sycamore to anyone thinking of registering their kids there.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (520) 762-9031

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now