Public charter
Cottonwood, AZ
After care: No

Posted November 14, 2013
This is really a GREAT school! The small classes and community environment really promote students love of learning. My child has attended this school for many years and would not want to leave. Many of the teachers know students outside their own classes/grade level and recognize them by name. They also really care about helping each student reach their full potential. Even with the change in administration I would recommend this school to anyone!

American Heritage Academy 1

Posted June 25, 2013
My child went to this school but will not return. Only if the student is making great grades and dresses like they are from 1950s, do they get any respect. At first it was okay, but then the true colors came out. They don't always help a child, even though there are small classes. There is one teacher who is respectful of kids and really tries to help. Wish I could put his name on here. History is extremely biased. Uniforms are a good thing, really helps with cost of clothing.

American Heritage Academy 1

Posted May 15, 2013
AHA is okay but I wouldn't say it's GREAT. They turned management over to a Charter School Management Company in 2012 and things haven't been the same. They've had numerous teachers arrested for inappropriate behavior with students. Some convicted some not in the past 5 years. In my opinion all the good quality teachers left except one. The place is definitely NOT a community. I'd say more like a place that takes reform students. Oh yeah, it's tons better than the local public school alternatives, but it has it's issues, just like any other school. Read the dates on reviews. Not the same school at all that it was in 2004. My kid got a better education than a public school would have offered but there were tons of issues with kids fighting, drugs, teachers getting arrested, fired. Drama, drama, drama. Could we have done better? Maybe online ... so you are talking the lesser of the evils.

Posted January 30, 2013
I enjoy my daughters attendance at American Heritage. She was tested into kindergarten a year early and both her kindergarten and 1st grade teachers never use her age to excuse her behavior. She is expected to act and learn at the pace of the entire class and she is thriving. Thank you Mr White in Camp Verde for placing my child in your class to give her the start that she so deserves, she is eating up the learning so quickly. Also thanks to Mrs Plapp in Cottonwood campus for her teachings to ensure my child stays on task with the class and is doing an amazing job!!

Posted November 16, 2012
My children have been attending this school for quite a few a years and I can say without a doubt that I am very happy with their progress!! Classes are small so that students can receive the attention that is so vitally important in a learning environment. Students wear uniforms so there is no fighting about what clothes to wear (love that bonus). Most importantly, the teachers take pride in their work which goes a long way in creating tomorrows leaders today! Highly recommended.

American Heritage Academy 4

Posted December 23, 2011
My two kids, 9 and 10, go to AHA and have for 4 years now. Yes like anywhere there are challenges but that is a given as your child grows up. Personalities are all different as well as learning abilities and each situation is different and parents must stay involved no matter where the child attends. The teachers have been great in working with me to keep my son on the right track (as he is a typical boy that his main focus is to play and have fun and not do school work). AHA also focuses on teaching our kids to become better people in the community. Getting them involved in mandatory community service acts is fabulous and teaches my kids about helping others. We love AHA and recommend it to everyone.

American Heritage Academy 4

Posted August 09, 2008
I am currently being educated at this school I highly reccomend this school. The teachers actually get you very interested in the subject of which they are teaching and after I learn something in school i usually ruch home so I could learn more about it. But yeah if you are looking for a good education for your child American Heritage is the place to take them. And I must say do not take the kid to Mingus High it does not look good on a college transcript.

American Heritage Academy 3

Posted July 17, 2006
I am a former student of A.H.A. Personally, I think that this school was the best school for me. I learned a lot more than I would have in any public school in the Verde Valley Area. ( I am a former student of CVUSD as well) I think that the schooling was great. Now that I am a parent, I am looking for a good school in this area.. and I am having a very hard time doing so. I would worry about the safety and discipline issues with this school. If they could crack down on this isses, my kids would be there in a heartbeat.

American Heritage Academy 3

Posted July 14, 2006
My child has attended for 3 years. This year next year I feel she will be better off somewhere else. There have been many changes at this school since she began and I am not happy with proceedures reguarding discipline and parental involvement. There were many issues this year where I should have been contacted. This school is great for a classical education. Not for students who struggle with learning. Not for students with a need for independance/ uniqueness/expressiveness. Though student/teacher ratio is very low, the choice of changing teachers if problems arise between student & teacher is nonexsistant. If parents aren't invited to be involoved in these situations, it makes for a very long year for everyone.

Posted July 20, 2005
This school is tops. Best academics in Verde Valley with highest values and standards. Does not tolerate bad behavior. Encourages the Arts, integrates community college classes. The uniforms keep out undesireables. Great teachers and super administration. Not perfect, but the best around. I understand they have 10 years in Verde. Count my kids in! (If there's room!)

American Heritage Academy
2030 E. Cherry St., Cottonwood, AZ  86326
Last modified American Heritage Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
American Heritage Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top