Cottonwood, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,216

Mingus Union High School 3

Posted May 09, 2013
mingus union high school is a ok school but we need more activities and more field trips

Posted September 24, 2012
I don't think Mingus has any higher a percentage of drug use than ANY other school... I like that they bring in drug dogs if they even THINK there is drug use on campus. I do feel that they should do more seminars on pregnancy issues, however. There is a LOT of sexual activity going on, but probably as much as all the other schools. We just need to find something better for the students to do with their time (ie. skating rink, dance club, etc.). Also, I disagree with the student re: teachers never pulling you aside re: your grades. I have been notified by my son's teachers EVERY time he is slipping. AND we, as parents can look at grades and assignments every single day on their website. It is OUR responsibility to make sure the work is getting done, not the teacher's. If they give an "explosive amnt. of tests" how is that a "lack of education"??? It ISN'T a terrible school! It's a very good school, and I'm proud to have my boys both going there! Mingus is VERY concerned about their education!

Mingus Union High School 2

Posted March 14, 2012
The drug use and lack of education is ridiculous and growing more and more in the wrong direction. Teachers never pull you aside concerned with their students grades and honestly don't care whether they are learning the lesson required. Also most teachers give explosive amounts of tests on a chapter that the students have only been introduced to for less then a day. Terrible school and glad I am getting out of here this year.

Posted January 24, 2012
I graduated from Mingus in 1992. I attended my freshman and sophomore years in Albuquerque, NM, and my junior and senior years at Mingus. My grades were suffering in Albuquerque, but when I started Mingus the counselors pulled me aside and helped me get my overall grade point average to a 3.0 by the time I graduated. All the counselors, the principal and the teachers were very concerned about me doing well. I highly recommend Mingus and would definitely send my own children there when the time comes for them to attend high school. The Cottonwood area is a great community as well. I can especially see that after living in Albuquerque for over 20 years. There is a huge difference between the two.

Posted January 05, 2012
I attended Mingus as did my husband. We have a child there now and 2 more on the way. Mingus is a good school with an equal emphasis on academics and athletics. I don't see any more or less problems at Mingus than at any other high school. Teenagers are teenagers and the problems they have are country-wide. Mingus is a highly rated school and the students excel at everything.

Mingus Union High School 1

Posted December 16, 2010
High amount of drug abuse, school recently was fenced in which makes it resemble a prison. Too much emphasis on athletics and not on academics. More than a few teen pregnancies. There are very difficult people in key positions in this school who frankly should not be there.

Posted May 18, 2009
I feel appreciated here. Most schools focus their pep assemblies on just athletic achievements, but recently, Mingus has started mentioning all of the achievements made by every culture of student at our school. Even that of the art students and thespians :)

Posted May 02, 2009
Good place for my children to get a high school education. Wonderful drama dept. and choir program!

Mingus Union High School 0

Posted March 12, 2009
My children love to have hands on activities in their anatomy class. They say its the greatest experience of their lives.

Posted August 08, 2007

Mingus Union High School
1801 E. Fir Street, Cottonwood, AZ  86326
Last modified Mingus Union High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mingus Union High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top