Bad
Good

My son is very active and very smart so finding a good fit for him has been hard. Before Mountain he didn't like coming to school. He loves getting up every morning now and going to school. I know a great school as I am a teacher and see the teachers at Mountain as not being brunt out and enjoying what they are doing. The class size is smaller and as a parent and former teacher I know that smaller class sizes are key. There is hardly any turn over rate at this school which is another hint that this is a great school.

I'm writing this review in response to the two negative reviews at the top of this list. We've had two children go through and graduate from Mountain School. One is now a junior in High School and one is in her last year at Mt. School. It is sad to say good-bye to a school that has loved and nurtured our children and family for the past decade. Every teacher, administrator, and front desk helper, knows both my children and myself by first name. I've always felt that there was room for my children to grown, but also to be the kids that they are in elementary school. There is a push for physical activity. The "exclusive attitudes" referred to in another of these reviews is mind-boggling to me. I've never been anything but welcome in this school. That parent's unfortunate experience is NOT representative of the school. See ALL of the 5 star reviews! Mtn. School is loved by many. I didn't want the world to read negative reviews right at the top. Thus, here's my say.

Mountain School was a BIG disappointment. My grandson has excellent reading skills, a great vocabulary and had always loved to speak in class, until he arrived at this place. An opening became available (I can now see why) in a K-1st Grade combo taught by a brand new teacher. His reading assessments were delayed without explanation and when he made a "what I did over Thanksgiving" talk about Hannukah (or Channukah, if you prefer) she made a comment about that being something "nobody else in the class had done,". The teacher then commented that "we will talk about this at Christmas." Even some of us who have never had a Bar Mitzvah know that Hannukah was VERY early in 2013 and it would be long over by the time she thought it was time to discuss it. Not a good recommendation as to their inclusiveness or sensitivity. My grandson has moved on to another, much better and less costly school in the Flagstaff District.

My child attended this school 2 years ago and we found it wasn't a good fit for us. The school discourages compassion in kids; they were more interested in high test scores and in making everyone understand how important they think they are. They were not encouraging real learning or fostering a lifetime love for learning. If high test scores and elitist, exclusive attitudes are your thing then by all means but if you want your kids to love learning and to be caring, inclusive, and compassionate individuals, this school is not the place for you.

Mountain school is not just a school but a community~ We have loved this school from the time the receptionist greeted us as we entered until this very day. I have 3 children who have attended or are still attending and even with all the new boundaries and charters coming in, we will still strongly support our school and our community because this environment is indeed rare. Come and see for yourself, I'm sure you'll agree.

My son is a 6th grader at Mountain. We cannot say enough about this wonderful school. The teachers and administration are dedicated and nurturing. Parental involvement is phenomenal. My son's reading, reasoning, and vocabulary have all increased in just the first 2 months he has attended this school.

Last modified Mountain School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.