K-5 & Ungraded
Flagstaff, AZ

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 3

Posted May 19, 2014
This schools cultural aspect is its strong hold. However, I would only consider putting your child at this school if you speak either Navajo or Spanish in the home, or place your child into the preschool class from the very beginning. It became clear to us after much struggling and stress that they do not teach a second language at this school, they teach IN two languages. The communication was very poor between us, the teachers and principle. Ultimately, we felt like a burden when we asked questions and for help. Good program for some kids, but make sure you know what you are getting into before you send your kids here.

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 4

Posted May 06, 2014
Puente has been an excellent choice for our family. I have to disagree with another poster who stated "The measure of a good school is not how well the kids can speak or read two languages but how well they can read, write and do arithmetic." That is a value judgment laid on us by a system that values those things in younger grades, and tests for those achievements through a system that rewards good test-takers. Is Puente for everyone? Of course not. Learning in two languages is challenging, and it does tend to drag back on achievement as it is typically measured. However, our child is blossoming, he is being exposed to the values of different cultures, and he is becoming bilingual-- very important to us. The teachers have been open to parental participation, and the principal has been very receptive to our concerns and need to tailor our child's whole education (of which school is only a part) to our needs. I only wish that the school had adequate staffing and funding it needs to address all of the students' challenges. We can meet our child's needs, as well as assist some classmates, but it is overwhelming.

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 1

Posted August 01, 2013
The new testing scores are out and it shows the dismal record of the east Flagstaff schools. Mount Elden middle school is now failing as expected. The scores show an annual decline in the student performance across the grade spectrum at Puente. I guess that bilingual education system and cultural awareness is working real well. The kids will do very well in the real world when they can barely speak one langauge much less two. How about the declining scores in math, reading, and writing? As the scores from Mount Elden middle school show, the elementary schools feeding the middle school have failed. Great, they get some classwork in spanish and navajo but who cares if they can read, write or do arithmetic. They will do better in jail after they drop out from high school because they can't read or write. Being able to speak spanish and english will help them survive behind bars; not help them to finish school successfully. Keep up the good work. Obviously the parents are not the brightest based on recent previous comments. Get your kids out of this school while you can. We did.

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 2

Posted May 26, 2013
Overall not a very good place for academics. It only has a "B" rating according to the state website. The scores for math and writing fall below the state passing levels. Only 45% of students meet the passing score for handwriting. Horrible! What are they teaching? Only 73% pass the state reading. On the Stanford 10 exams the scores are absolutely dismal. Language and reading scores are less than 40% of students passing compared to scores nationally. Parents should be very concerned about what is going on with the academics. The previous review refers to the bilingual aspect. The measure of a good school is not how well the kids can speak or read two languages but how well they can read, write and do arithmetic. Parents need to be more aware of how the school performs on a national standard. Arizona standards are lower than the national standard. I removed my children from this school based on the poor academic performance. There has been no real change over the past 3 years.

Posted May 08, 2013
I think that PDH is an amazing school. I have two boys going into the English-Spanish program and in less than a year, they read and write Spanish so fluently that makes me cry of emotion. I think that academically they should push the children a little bit more, but I don't have any complains. I have a little one that soon will get into kindergarden, and I cannot wait to see how she learns Spanish, and also get to know other culture like the Navajo culture so rich in history, values, and traditions. Keep up the good work, and push a little bit more academics. A proud mama!

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 3

Posted May 03, 2013
I was excited to send my daughter here for her kindergarten year. I was excited she could learn Navajo & English. But the teacher turned out to be rude and unfriendly! I never had an issue with my daughter wanting to so to school when she was in head start or kinder-camp. Until she started attending the K-Navajo class. The teacher never seemed happy, and instead of explaining what she was trying to teach she would walk over and pick the kid up and tell the student to stand. My daughter would cry and beg not to go to school, so I had to listen to my heart and pull her from the school. I spoke with the principal to see if we could move my daughter to another class & she stated that was not an option. maybe they should hire more K- teachers.Now she is attending Thomas & has been excelling and doing just great!

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 4

Posted January 24, 2013
We transferred our child to PHD this year for the bilingual and cultural experience. So far, we think he is a doing very well. We are most thankful for our English teacher who has been supportive, encouraging, and so helpful. The principle is very kind and caring with her students. She truly wants the best for the school, though we felt some stress when asking for some individual help with our child. The Spanish teacher is an excellent teacher and very good with his spanish speaking kids, but we feel is a little too fast moving for our child that is just beginning to learn the language. Overall, great school. Staff are friendly, everyone greets our child by name. Great activities though we'd like more art projects. We hope we continue to have a great educational experience for our child here.

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 2

Posted February 29, 2012
I am disappointed in this school. I don't feel that the staff are professional or safe. I believe they are relying on the bilingual draw and also use it as an excuse for poor teaching. The classes are too large for the teachers to manage. There is little real supervision on the playground. I have heard a lot of complaining from the teachers and not really seen much new material being learned by my child. I am hoping that this was just a rough year and that I will see improvement for my child next year-if not I will be taking my child out of this so far- sub par school. What a shame that such a good program is being so poorly facilitated.

Posted January 25, 2011
A great school with exceptional teachers and high quality facilities. The bilingual experience is truly a tremendous opportunity for elementary-aged children.

Posted January 01, 2010
We love PdH for it's ethnic, cultural and economic diversity, as well as for the early language learning (my 1st grader is in the Spanish/English program) and the small school setting with caring teachers. We feel so lucky to have this school available in Flagstaff.

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School
3401 N. Fourth Street, Flagstaff, AZ  86004
Last modified Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top