K-5 & Ungraded
Flagstaff, AZ

Posted April 24, 2015
This school would be a good choice if you want your child to learn spanish. They do learn to speak, read and write in both English and spanish. The math and science are extremely weak. I know of a few parents that left this school for this reason. They do pretty well with helping the kids that are struggling but the kids that are advanced won't be challenged at all.

Posted April 19, 2015
Puente de Hozho is a great place to learn. The philosophy of this school is the ABC's (Academics, Bilingual literacy, and culture) and the principal, teachers and staff are very passionate about providing a learning environment that nurtures the goal. Children learn in two different languages so every child is an "expert" in one language. Both of my children were identified as talented and gifted and I felt excited knowing that at least half of their day was being enriched because of their second language. I loved how my children learned about different cultures as well. This school is also a leader in technology integration. My children became very proficient in appropriate use of different types of technology. My children thrived at Puente de Hozho and I am so grateful that they had an opportunity in a public school to be surrounded by three different languages and cultures learning from each other. On a final note though, this school is not for everyone. As a parent you need to be comfortable with your child's struggles in second language learning as well as having two teachers everyday starting at Kindergarten.

Posted February 14, 2015
Very disappointed in this school. Academic basics are not emphasized. Student learning is limited by the least common denominator in the classrooms. Title I interventions pace limits on when and how teaches can teach new material. Teachers cannot teach new material unless all children are present in the classroom. Many students are in and out of the classroom throughout the day getting reading and math intervention. The smarter students are held back because of the number of students requiring intervention. It may be good for a student whose home language is Spanish to learn some Spanish but it will be at the cost of learning math and reading. Unless there is more emphasis on math, reading, and science hen it is recommended not to send your child here. There are better schools in Flagstaff. Look at the future of where your child will be going to after Puente. Mount Elden is one of the worse schools in the state. It is a reflection of the elementary schools that send students there. It would be interesting to see how the students from Puente do when they arrive to MEMS.

Posted February 09, 2015
Puente de Hozho is a unique school that offers my children a different experience than the traditional schools. They learn half the day in English and half the day in Spanish. They are benefitting from the many advantages of learning another language such as being able to think in different ways, persevering when learning is challenging, understanding and caring about people from other cultures, etc. They have the added benefit of experiencing two teachers every year and learning from their expertise. I have found Puente de Hozho to be a caring, stimulating, academically challenging, safe, culturally enriching school. Other posts have mentioned test scores which if you compare apples to apples, Puente actually does well. They consistently rank above the other title one schools, just behind the higher socio-economic schools and the students learn half the day in another language. Puente has the highest number (by far) of students learning English which does affect test scores. My children have always had "meets" or "exceeds" test scores as students of Puente. This is a great school. I am so glad my children have had the opportunity to be enriched and educated at Puente de Hozho.

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 3

Posted May 19, 2014
This schools cultural aspect is its strong hold. However, I would only consider putting your child at this school if you speak either Navajo or Spanish in the home, or place your child into the preschool class from the very beginning. It became clear to us after much struggling and stress that they do not teach a second language at this school, they teach IN two languages. The communication was very poor between us, the teachers and principle. Ultimately, we felt like a burden when we asked questions and for help. Good program for some kids, but make sure you know what you are getting into before you send your kids here.

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 4

Posted May 06, 2014
Puente has been an excellent choice for our family. I have to disagree with another poster who stated "The measure of a good school is not how well the kids can speak or read two languages but how well they can read, write and do arithmetic." That is a value judgment laid on us by a system that values those things in younger grades, and tests for those achievements through a system that rewards good test-takers. Is Puente for everyone? Of course not. Learning in two languages is challenging, and it does tend to drag back on achievement as it is typically measured. However, our child is blossoming, he is being exposed to the values of different cultures, and he is becoming bilingual-- very important to us. The teachers have been open to parental participation, and the principal has been very receptive to our concerns and need to tailor our child's whole education (of which school is only a part) to our needs. I only wish that the school had adequate staffing and funding it needs to address all of the students' challenges. We can meet our child's needs, as well as assist some classmates, but it is overwhelming.

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 1

Posted August 01, 2013
The new testing scores are out and it shows the dismal record of the east Flagstaff schools. Mount Elden middle school is now failing as expected. The scores show an annual decline in the student performance across the grade spectrum at Puente. I guess that bilingual education system and cultural awareness is working real well. The kids will do very well in the real world when they can barely speak one langauge much less two. How about the declining scores in math, reading, and writing? As the scores from Mount Elden middle school show, the elementary schools feeding the middle school have failed. Great, they get some classwork in spanish and navajo but who cares if they can read, write or do arithmetic. They will do better in jail after they drop out from high school because they can't read or write. Being able to speak spanish and english will help them survive behind bars; not help them to finish school successfully. Keep up the good work. Obviously the parents are not the brightest based on recent previous comments. Get your kids out of this school while you can. We did.

Posted May 26, 2013
Overall not a very good place for academics. It only has a "B" rating according to the state website. The scores for math and writing fall below the state passing levels. Only 45% of students meet the passing score for handwriting. Horrible! What are they teaching? Only 73% pass the state reading. On the Stanford 10 exams the scores are absolutely dismal. Language and reading scores are less than 40% of students passing compared to scores nationally. Parents should be very concerned about what is going on with the academics. The previous review refers to the bilingual aspect. The measure of a good school is not how well the kids can speak or read two languages but how well they can read, write and do arithmetic. Parents need to be more aware of how the school performs on a national standard. Arizona standards are lower than the national standard. I removed my children from this school based on the poor academic performance. There has been no real change over the past 3 years.

Posted May 08, 2013
I think that PDH is an amazing school. I have two boys going into the English-Spanish program and in less than a year, they read and write Spanish so fluently that makes me cry of emotion. I think that academically they should push the children a little bit more, but I don't have any complains. I have a little one that soon will get into kindergarden, and I cannot wait to see how she learns Spanish, and also get to know other culture like the Navajo culture so rich in history, values, and traditions. Keep up the good work, and push a little bit more academics. A proud mama!

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School 3

Posted May 03, 2013
I was excited to send my daughter here for her kindergarten year. I was excited she could learn Navajo & English. But the teacher turned out to be rude and unfriendly! I never had an issue with my daughter wanting to so to school when she was in head start or kinder-camp. Until she started attending the K-Navajo class. The teacher never seemed happy, and instead of explaining what she was trying to teach she would walk over and pick the kid up and tell the student to stand. My daughter would cry and beg not to go to school, so I had to listen to my heart and pull her from the school. I spoke with the principal to see if we could move my daughter to another class & she stated that was not an option. maybe they should hire more K- teachers.Now she is attending Thomas & has been excelling and doing just great!

Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School
3401 N. Fourth Street, Flagstaff, AZ  86004
Last modified Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Weitzel's Puente De Hozho Bilingual Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top