Public charter
Flagstaff, AZ

Posted August 08, 2015
I waited a full year to give my review. I did not want to review the school and find out my opinion changed based upon some information or event I did not have knowledge of. I have to say I LOVE THIS SCHOOL! It has been such a great fit for my child and honestly for me as a parent with expectations and desires and dreams for my child. Was it a transition? Yes it was. Was it difficult? Yes it was. I think people go in with the expectation that it should be an experience like the school they came out of. But if the schools we came out of were what we wanted why move? My child was bemoaning the fact that BASIS had a 10 rating. She figured a 7 would have fit her comfort level of workload. But she adjusted and her comfort level rose higher. Coming in to the. new school year there seemed to be a. high level of excitement amongst the students and parents for the upcoming year. I believe they feel they are in a special place. We ae no exception. My child is really excited about her classes. The teachers are really good at stimulating the children's interest. I love the administrative staff too. If you do have a complaint they try to look at all sides carefully. I like that they honor achievement and hard work. You just have this feeling that OPPORTUNITY is being born. I love you BASIS Flagstaff!

Posted May 17, 2015
Caring staff and faculty. They go out of their way to help students learn the material and to appreciate learning!

Posted January 16, 2015
We have been very pleased with BASIS Flagstaff. The school puts a lot of responsibility on the students and teaches them to stay organized and keep on top of their workload, and I find that the kids are quite capable. Our son is thriving there. The school does very well at helping the students succeed by offering tutoring hours every week for each and every class. They have a diverse schedule with Latin, classics, martial arts, and a great music program (for our 5th grader). We like that our son is being challenged to use and grow his brain, and that by the time he graduates (early if he so chooses) top colleges will be coming to the school and trying to recruit him.

Posted December 16, 2014
BASIS is a school that teaches student accountability and has a challenging but extremely engaging curriculum. The teachers are amazing! I have a 5th and an 8th grader and was not sure how my children would adjust coming from FUSD, but they are both thriving! They love subjects like Latin, Classics, Economics, Geography and Rhetoric. The 5th grade also includes 3 days of week of each, pe, art and music! We didn't get that with any other school. I've never had any problems communicating with the teachers, in fact they have always been very responsive and supportive.

Basis Flagstaff 1

Posted December 15, 2014
emails go unanswered. The teachers don't provide one-on-one is not timely. If your kid is intelligent and very self-motivated in response to largely rote memorization and this is a good place for you.

Basis Flagstaff 2

Posted September 24, 2014
BASIS focus is on standardized testing. Students work hard but it seems like they "teach the test". BASIS students do about as well as public school students in the AP track. Parent involvement discouraged and important decisions made primarily at BASIS' out of town headquarters. Teachers very hard working and dedicated but they have high turn over.

Posted August 10, 2014
My school is amazing!! It is very focused on academic achievement. Deciding to go to BASIS Flagstaff is the best choice I've made!!

Posted March 27, 2014
Like many posters, I too feared the rumors of homework overload. My son is an average student- I was told by other parents BASIS was the school for him. They were right! He accepted the challenging curriculum, is motivated by the enthusiastic teachers, and enjoys the extra - curricular activities done by the instructors. The teachers truly care that every student succeeds. As far as parent input, we have had 2 discussions with his math teacher regarding his focus while doing homework. The teacher offered several ways to approach homework and assured us he didn't have this experience in the classroom. The teachers are the professionals; I accept my role as the supportive parent. BASIS has required more support as a parent than his previous school because it is more academically rigorous. As a team, we are preparing him for a successful future.

Posted March 23, 2014
BASIS Flagstaff is fantastic. For students wanting an extra challenge, or for those who need that challenge to stay engaged, this is an excellent school to consider. Under skillful leadership and with strong support from parents and students, BASIS Flagstaff is poised to become a flagship academic institution in the state. There are growth challenges, as with any new endeavor. Teacher turnover is high, because not all teachers are suitable for the BASIS approach, and fortunately BASIS Flagstaff leadership is taking seriously the difficult job of selecting and cultivating appropriate educators. Class size in the upper grades is low, because of attrition after grade 8 to schools that offer more extra-academic activities, and because of inadequate academic preparation of students entering the upper grades without the BASIS foundation. Parental involvement is restricted, because BASIS has a proven formula. This is difficult for many parents accustomed to having influence (even where they may lack expertise). The school is clearly not for everybody. But if you are serious about a rigorous education, consider signing up at grade 5 and plan to stick it out through grade 12.

Posted March 18, 2014
We LOVE BASIS Flagstaff! My son is finishing 5th grade and he has loved every minute of school this year! I am thrilled to hear him come home chattering about the cool things he learned at school each day. He has NEVER been so excited about learning and this is due, I am certain, to the very engaging excited teachers who bubble over with enthusiasm for their subjects. My son does about 5-10 minutes of homework each night, has plenty of time for after school sports and has made the honor roll every grading period. I was nervous about the homework rumors but for a child who pays attention in class and makes use of the daily study hall, the homework is very very minimal. In summary, the classes are engaging, the teachers are invested, the curriculum is challenging and exciting, and at least for my son, the homework is light, creating for him no difficulty balancing school and sports.

Basis Flagstaff
1700 N. Gemini Drive, Flagstaff, AZ  86001
Last modified Basis Flagstaff is a Charter school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Basis Flagstaff Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top