PK-8 & Ungraded
Fort Huachuca, AZ

Posted April 08, 2013
While I have had 4 children in this school at one point or another the only thing that I would say is above average about this school is their special needs preschool that they offer. Since my twins have began attending they have flourished into little boys that I never know. The teachers are fair and reasonable however they are not above average. I have one boy in the 2nd grade now and he could use some additional challenges but this school is not equipped with the tools to deal with advanced kids which is a bummer because he gets bored in class. The only thing really lacking is the new principal that they moved over from the middle school because he couldn't handle his job there.

Posted February 18, 2011
This school is one of the the worst schools my son has attended. The staff feel that they are the final view on anything that happens and they know what is best, regardless of whatever anyone with other qualifications might say. (They'd rather my son miss class due to the nurse's opinion rather than his pediatrician.) The staff (My son is special needs.) are of low quality and seem to have very little training on how to properly handle difficult situations, how to effectively communicate, and how to write legibly. (The teacher's handwriting is nearly as bad as my 7 year old son's. My husband and I have to often try to decipher what she is attempting to tell us. She also seems to have difficulty writing in complete sentences and using proper tense.) We've had many troubles with this school and feel that this school has not made it a priority to hire educators who are capable of not only educating students on subjects but also on maintaining certain standards within their own behaviors. If we remain here or return here for any reason our son will not return to this school!

Posted July 08, 2008
Amen, to April 10th's post! I totally agree. My son attended first grade there last year and we are stressing on whether he will be able to attend next year due to the funding cut. We are crossing our fingers because the school and the faculty are amazing! We were thoroughly pleased in all areas!

Posted April 10, 2008
Both my children have attend this school and my husband and I are glad to have teachers that are educating our children as well as reinforcing self discipline. We find that the majority of the parents that complain about the school never come to the school to talk to the teachers to voice their concerns or they disagree with a the schools rules on safety and reinforcing positive behavior because their children are the ones with no self discipline.

Posted March 27, 2008
The teachers are paper pushers and spend more time scolding the kids the teaching. The kids are given another worksheet before they have even finished or have begun to understand the assignment. I have taught in elementary schools with teachers that have been nationally recognized and this school truely lacks in connecting with the students.

Posted August 23, 2007

Posted May 15, 2007
There's a race to the middle at Col. Johnston. They emphasize quantity over quality - #'s of books more important than types of books at the end of the year award ceremony. The teachers aren't big on kids who are way above grade level as that would require doing something outside their norm. Testing and attendance are HUGE for funding.

Posted August 11, 2006
We had a choice of sending our daughter to Johnston or one of the downtown schools. We chose Johnston and are thrilled by the education she is receiving. All of the teachers are well organized, very knowledgeable of the challanges the military child is faced with. The principal is very hands on and approachable. She personally addressed a concern I had. Although it was a minor concern she went out of her way to address me personally. You don't get better than that! Fort Huachuca Accomodation schools lead the way!

Posted August 04, 2006

Posted May 13, 2006
Colonel Johnston school encourages parent involvement and volunteering more than I have ever experienced. My son had a first grade teacher that was amazing, and encouraged all of her students so much. I wish that every child could experience this level of teaching and caring from such a well structured learning environment.

Colonel Johnston Elementary School