PK-6 & Ungraded
Gilbert, AZ
After care: No

Posted April 11, 2015
I have had 5 children attend Neely. My oldest son who is now 13 has attended 8 different schools. This is our third year and I have several kids who rarely bring home homework and if they do they are done with it in less than an hour. The school has started a club for doing homework with the teachers that they do at lunch. My son tells me that they work on skills for success. The only kids I have who have a lot of homework are the ones who struggle to stay focused. I have been most impressed by the rallying I have seen around the kids who are struggling. All of them dedicate themselves to helping our kids succeed. Mrs. Chilton and several teachers are doing an after school club Shakespearean play for 6th graders. I have been to several rehearsals and have seen the kids developing greater self awareness and confidence. She understands the value of creative intelligence and she makes personal sacrifices so her students can experience it. The parents at Neely are engaged and work with teachers to create a positive learning environment. The parents are always welcome. Sure there is room for improvement they are always looking for ways that they can.
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 16, 2015
Teaching is consistent and my kids enjoy it. Teachers are very responsive and communicate well. Administration is on it. Kids are down to earth and friendly. Any school has improvements to make. I would discourage over use of the smart boards. For example, I'd like teachers to actually read to the kids instead if having them watch the smart board. That is not helping them develop their listening skills.

Posted May 07, 2014
My 2 children have attended this school since they were in preschool. Now my oldest has moved on to junior high and my youngest is a 6th grader. I am so glad they spent their formative years there because they are very prepared for the rigorous road to junior and senior high. Spalding, Saxon Math, and subject units in science and social studies planned as grade level teams into structured lessons have given them the foundation they need to succeed in their academic careers. My 7th grader said 6th grade at Neely was harder than 7th grade is! Not only is it a rigorous, structured, and well-managed school, the teachers are caring and friendly to the students. We love Neely!

Posted January 13, 2014
My kid started in Neely as Kindergartner in 2013. We are very impressed by the amount of information the kids go through and daily homework is a good practice for any child. They do varieties of task and activities, the kids are loaded. Only thing I worry about is some of the class work books are left unfinished or not completed. I dont think the teacher has enough time to get through them all ensuring each student completes those class exercise or has any questions on them. In many classes kids complete only 60% of the class exercise in full . If there was a teachers aide maybe that will help with getting whole class finish their work. Overall the intention is good and there is much learning happening. I am glad my kid goes to this school.

Posted November 12, 2013
Neely is a great school. My children love going to school. They have never been anywhere else so they don't have anything to compare it to. Every teacher we had was open, approachable, and a good teacher. Neely is strict and consistent across the board. My children understand the expectations and rise to the challenge.

Posted March 25, 2013
Neely is truly an amazing school. We love the diversity of cultures of the student body. Advanced classes offered in Math, Reading, and Writing allow students to reach their learning potentials. The Spalding and Saxon curriculums give children a strong foundation for life learning. I love that the math programs continue to revisit concepts over and over as they continue to learn new ones. The students participate in "special" classes each week, including P.E., music, art, and computers. Choir, orchestra, and band are offered, free of charge. The principle and office staff know each of the children's names. We can honestly say that none of our three kids have had a teacher they haven't loved! Although test scores aren't a single measure of the success of a school, all grades tested receive at least 90 percent, year after year. Some advantages of attending Neely as compared to charter schools are buses, a cafeteria with "hot" lunches, free and reduced lunches, after school care, and other fun programs offered through the district. We love that our children do not have to wear uniforms and can still express their personalities through modest dress. We love Neely!

Neely Traditional Academy 3

Posted October 24, 2012
We have left the school and it surely was not because of academics (my child had straight As), but because of the teacher quality in 5th grade and the unbearable prison-warden attitude of the principal. The 5th grade teacher was completely disinterested in teaching and as we now see, the students fell way behind in most subjects, especially math and science. At Neely, teacher quality is a hit and miss issue, but they have more bad apples than good ones. The principal doesn't care because she is too busy writing parking rules.

Neely Traditional Academy 3

Posted October 05, 2012
The teachers are not approachable and when you try to go speak with the principal, well you pretty much get the same thing! The staff is not friendly nor they make it fun for the kids. Not to mention my child gets tons of homework, I believe in academics that's why we chose that school, but they over do it with homework!

Posted September 06, 2012
My daughter attended Neely for Kdg and 1st grade. She is now attending the regular neighborhood school here in Ahwatukee for 2nd grade as we moved over the summer. My daughter misses Neely very much. She complains that she is not being challenged in her new school in the neighborhood. I almost want to drive her the half-hour to Neely and back every day just so she will continue with the LOVE OF LEARNING emphasized at the traditional academy. Her teachers were very caring, extremely organized and quite communicative. Every day we received graded homework or some sort of communication back from the teacher. She also learned to discipline herself during the school day, take responsibility for her own tasks, develop her character through Neely's six pillars of character program and read/write exceptionally well. Dr. Chilton, the principal, may seem formal (she is from England after all), but she really cares about your children and has a lot of students to keep track of. Parents are very involved and the kids who attend the school seem very polite. If you want your child to have a wonderful, enriching learning experience, Neely is the place to be.

Neely Traditional Academy 1

Posted June 24, 2012
Current problems with honors language need to be addressed. The last 2 years the honors language class has had 3 different teachers and introduced new Spring Board curricullum that parents and students are very unhappy with. Principal has not come up with a solution to the problem, so the last 2 years of language have been an absolute waste. My daughter learned very little grammar or writing. She wrote on e paper all year in her "honors" class - totally unacceptable!

Neely Traditional Academy
321 W. Juniper Ave., Gilbert, AZ  85233
Last modified Neely Traditional Academy is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Neely Traditional Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top