Playa Del Rey Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 625 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 1, 2013

This School is very bad. Parents stay away. They're racist and very disrespectful. The teachers are always yelling and insulting my son.

Posted August 13, 2013

This school is very resourceful, cooperative and understanding. My family hit a hard time but this school is so compassionate and helped my kids feel comfortable. They did everything they could to keep the kids in the same school year after year and to make sure they went to school prepared.

Posted May 11, 2013

2011-2012 AIMs test as well as Playa Del Rey s school assessment indicates my daughter needs to catch up on math. This week we were informed that she will not be able to be part of the summer math program initially signed up for. My understanding is because she is going to another school next year which personally this dumbfounds me as she s going to another GPS school. It disappointments me that Playa Del Rey would consciously turn their back on our child s of needs like is let alone any child for that matter.

Posted April 11, 2013

My son is in the first grade and we have had a few run-ins with the teacher about lack of communication. We talked with the prinicple and the teacher a few times. Nothing is resolved. Teacher and principle believe that the teacher is too busy to spend 20 seconds letting a parent know specifics about their child or respond to a note that was sent to the teacher. Also my son told me that he was scared of another kid in his class. I brought it the attention of the principle and the teacher and it was quickly dismissed. When I told the teacher she was not accepting responsibility for not communicating with me the principle told me I was unprofessional and negative. No communication, no accountability on the staff, no response to bullying. I will NOT be allowing my child to attend this school next year.

Posted January 1, 2013

I do like this school however, his kidegarten teacher was AWFUL. My son loved her but she had no idea how to communicate with adults and often talked to me and my family as if we were stupid. His first grade teacher was great the first semster but then I challenged one her assignments and she wrote me a nasty letter telling me how long she has been a teacher instead of acknoweldging my concerns. The prinicple is great. She saw the email communication and called and apologized to me. It seems that teachers want parents to be involved but they don't want us to ask questions or have an opinion. Not sure yet if I will let my son attend next year.

Posted May 30, 2012

My child has been attending this school since Kinder. The first year was great. Then had some challenges in the first grade. His first grade teacher was inexperienced. Had great academic credentials but lacked any skills in managing children much less teaching them. She could not even lead kids into a candy store even if she wanted to...Had to get social worker involved to prove her wrong. Then in fourth grade, there was a problem child bullying my kid that the principal would not take care of appropiately. When I explained i would be taking the matter up to the district unless i got cooperation, she blantly rubbed her Principal of the Year award in my face and told me I would get no where. I had 8 different parents complain to me about the same kid. The kid didnt even live in Gilbert. I dont know who gives out the award, but i know better that there are WAY better leadership out there. I sent my kid to a different school with a MUCH better principal but unfortunately, their academics in the ALP program were softer than what we anticipated. We stayed at Playa because we had no other choice. But leadership? Once again, "could not lead a kid into a candy store ....."

Posted May 4, 2011

We miss this school so much after moving out of state. I loved Liz in the office and with the exception of 2 teachers in 6 years - we have had great luck. I felt that my kids were challenged and that they had fun as well. I would have liked to see more focus on the bullying, but I think overall this school is AMAZING. I think Dr. Conrad is able to have a wonderful balance of love and discipline and think its awesome that she will come out to either greet the kids at parent pick up or hold a stop sign in the morning. We LOVED Mrs. V in 1st grade and wish all teachers were like her!! MISS MISS MISS this school so much.

Posted March 31, 2011

I seriously think several of the negative reviews are by the same parent. My daughter, now in 5th grade, has attended this school since kindergarten and I've been happy and impressed by all aspects of the school. Great extra-curricular activities including robotics, Oceanography, and choice of either regular music or band. Most of her teachers were great with one exception who was okay but a bit disorganized. Dr. Conrad is easily visable and active in the school. I only heard of one bullying incident and that student is no longer at the school, so it was resolved--that was a couple years ago.

Posted March 12, 2011

Please be advised that your child grade may NOT be accurate. A certain 5th grade teacher has inaccurately entered snap grades of a lessor value on three separate occassions. This teacher even changed one student's grade from an 'A' to a 'B' in front of the child and peers on their paper. This teacher has a preconceived idea of "what" grade your child should be entitled and receive.

Posted February 8, 2011

I am a parent of a Kindergarten student. I'm so impressed by the teachers and aides who give their time and resources generously. I wish there was more we could do for the teachers!

Posted November 29, 2010

My daughter started 6th grade here at PDR this year (2010). She came from public schools in California, these schools do not compare to PDR. When registering by daughter here at PDR we were astounded by how professional, friendly and helpful the Administrative Staff is. We were also amazed on how the school looks and how friendly and welcoming the students are. The instructors are doing a great job! The participation of all the staff here is a A+. My daughter likes them alot and that puts us at ease.

Posted July 25, 2010

PDR does have some wonderful teachers with experience and a great attitudes. I do however agree with some of the comments on the principal...she definitely does not handle any discipline issues and oh boy do they have them. This past year was even worse with 5th grade fighting all the time and students' learning being affected . Dr. Conrad does nothing about it. She does not know her staff and is unprofessional, drinking at some of the fundraisers that I have attended. She also was not very supportive of one of my child's teacher, who will no longer be at PDR. She was my son's 3rd and this past year his math teacher and I absolutely loved her. Wonderful teacher who knew how to deal with special needs and behavior. I am happy to say that we will still see her for tutoring. I am also pulling my son from PDR.

Posted January 11, 2010

GREAT SCHOOL. My son is in 1st grade and has the BEST teacher in the world, Mrs. Volz. His kindergarten teacher was also great, Mrs. Picquette. Communication has never been a problem even w/ the principal. I was afraid to put my son in this school based on the ratings back in 2007 but we had no choice and now, we are glad we did. Parent pick-up does take long however, it seems as though all schools have the same issue. By the way, the staff at 'parent pick-up & drop-off'' do a marvelous job at getting the kids in and out of the vehicles safely.

Posted January 4, 2010

Playa's principal, staff and teachers are kind and caring...ideal for what a school should be! I only wish we hadn't moved, so that my daughter could have continued.

Posted August 31, 2009

Simply a great school, with an excellent principal and dedicated teachers; facilities are nice and neighborhood is quiet and safe.

Posted November 21, 2008

This school has simply wonderful instructors and administrative professionals who care deeply for the outcome of the students success. My child has had a fabulous five years and I thank my lucky stars I made the decision to live in the Playa district.

Posted October 29, 2008

My daughter just started kindergarten this year at this school. It is an amazing school and I love it! Her teacher is awesome and the whole staff is very friendly. The PTSO works very hard at this school to raise money for it throughout the year. I am now part of the PTSO and love the many oppurtunites for parent involvement at this school. I hope to see my daughter attend here all the way through 6th grade here! -proud parent, Jeanne DeMayo

Posted October 20, 2008

I had a wonderful experience with all three of my children at Playa del Rey. They loved all their teachers and the principal was always visible at the after school events. Playa has so much to offer at all levels. They were very supportive of cub scouts while my son attended. I highly recommend Playa to all new families in the neighborhood. You will absolutely love it!

Posted October 12, 2008

Three of my children attend Playa Del Rey this year and they love it as do I. They were in another school for the first two months and my son was abused by his teacher phisically and emotionaly that school did nothing acted like that was normal. We had him at Playa last year for Preschool because they have an awesome speech program for the children. We loved it and the teachers so after his bad experiance at his other school this year we took all three of our oldest children back to playa and have been so pleased! The teachers are GREAT as are the office staff! Our children are happy to go to school every day and that makes my husband and I very happy. All we want for our children is to be happy and get a good education and Playa is a great place for both!

Posted October 10, 2008

After several years of negative experience with PDR, I decided to enroll my child elsewhere, There has been in a huge improvement in my childs attitude towards school and much better grades. My child is challenged daily and very eager to learn. Extremely different than the experience at PDR. I would like to say one thing about this school and that was at least the principal was smart enough to remove some of the bad teachers from the faculty this current school year.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian 8% 3%

Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Fax number
  • (480) 892-8842

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now