PK-6 & Ungraded
Gilbert, AZ

Posted September 24, 2014
Some of the teachers here will absolutely warm your heart. Their love for the children is what keeps us going here. However, other members of the staff seem to absolutely hate children and it is a wonder why they would choose to work in a school in the first place. The lunch lady is an absolute horror. Last week, my child's teacher made a simple error and the lunch lady punished the children for it. She screamed at them until several of them were crying. I have emailed the Principal in the past about this woman and she has done nothing about it. She basically told me that I do not get involved enough with school activities. I am not sure what she meant by that but I can only assume that the fact that I am a working parent means that I do not have a right to object to her employee accosting my child. The truth is, I actively avoid the principal because I feel she is a narcissist and a phony. This will be our last year at Playa, and it is really sad that the school would rather lose families in order to retain one despicable employee.

Posted May 26, 2014
Another great year at Playa! I had one daughter in Ms.Hartmann's Kindergarten class and one daughter who had Mr. Bowen, Miss Sirois and Mrs. Wamsley for Fourth grade. Everyone at this school treats my children like extended family. When I talk to Miss Della in the office, she knows who I am and who my kids are. The staff here is so warm and welcoming. My family always knows that we will be accepted by the community created at Playa del Rey. My daughter started Kindergarten way behind but the staff focused on her problem areas and now she is doing about average which is a huge accomplishment! Our other daughter is challenged by her work but not to the point that she can't use what she has been taught to figure it out on her own. I love this school!

Posted May 22, 2014
I am happy to have chosen playa del Rey. It has been an excellent school . My son Ibraheem started kindergarten with mrs.piquitte and found great support . She was a hardworking teacher who taught him from the start and helped him succeed. My other son Abdullah had learned so much in preschool with mrs.jackson. She helped him develope many skills and was a very lovely person to be around. The staff,principle, and everyone working there was very friendly and kind . Although we were foreign and different we were treated in the best manner.

Posted December 01, 2013
This School is very bad. Parents stay away. They're racist and very disrespectful. The teachers are always yelling and insulting my son.

Posted May 11, 2013
2011-2012 AIMs test as well as Playa Del Rey s school assessment indicates my daughter needs to catch up on math. This week we were informed that she will not be able to be part of the summer math program initially signed up for. My understanding is because she is going to another school next year which personally this dumbfounds me as she s going to another GPS school. It disappointments me that Playa Del Rey would consciously turn their back on our child s of needs like is let alone any child for that matter.

Posted April 11, 2013
My son is in the first grade and we have had a few run-ins with the teacher about lack of communication. We talked with the prinicple and the teacher a few times. Nothing is resolved. Teacher and principle believe that the teacher is too busy to spend 20 seconds letting a parent know specifics about their child or respond to a note that was sent to the teacher. Also my son told me that he was scared of another kid in his class. I brought it the attention of the principle and the teacher and it was quickly dismissed. When I told the teacher she was not accepting responsibility for not communicating with me the principle told me I was unprofessional and negative. No communication, no accountability on the staff, no response to bullying. I will NOT be allowing my child to attend this school next year.

Playa Del Rey Elementary School 3

Posted January 01, 2013
I do like this school however, his kidegarten teacher was AWFUL. My son loved her but she had no idea how to communicate with adults and often talked to me and my family as if we were stupid. His first grade teacher was great the first semster but then I challenged one her assignments and she wrote me a nasty letter telling me how long she has been a teacher instead of acknoweldging my concerns. The prinicple is great. She saw the email communication and called and apologized to me. It seems that teachers want parents to be involved but they don't want us to ask questions or have an opinion. Not sure yet if I will let my son attend next year.

Playa Del Rey Elementary School 3

Posted May 30, 2012
My child has been attending this school since Kinder. The first year was great. Then had some challenges in the first grade. His first grade teacher was inexperienced. Had great academic credentials but lacked any skills in managing children much less teaching them. She could not even lead kids into a candy store even if she wanted to...Had to get social worker involved to prove her wrong. Then in fourth grade, there was a problem child bullying my kid that the principal would not take care of appropiately. When I explained i would be taking the matter up to the district unless i got cooperation, she blantly rubbed her Principal of the Year award in my face and told me I would get no where. I had 8 different parents complain to me about the same kid. The kid didnt even live in Gilbert. I dont know who gives out the award, but i know better that there are WAY better leadership out there. I sent my kid to a different school with a MUCH better principal but unfortunately, their academics in the ALP program were softer than what we anticipated. We stayed at Playa because we had no other choice. But leadership? Once again, "could not lead a kid into a candy store ....."

Posted May 04, 2011
We miss this school so much after moving out of state. I loved Liz in the office and with the exception of 2 teachers in 6 years - we have had great luck. I felt that my kids were challenged and that they had fun as well. I would have liked to see more focus on the bullying, but I think overall this school is AMAZING. I think Dr. Conrad is able to have a wonderful balance of love and discipline and think its awesome that she will come out to either greet the kids at parent pick up or hold a stop sign in the morning. We LOVED Mrs. V in 1st grade and wish all teachers were like her!! MISS MISS MISS this school so much.

Posted March 31, 2011
I seriously think several of the negative reviews are by the same parent. My daughter, now in 5th grade, has attended this school since kindergarten and I've been happy and impressed by all aspects of the school. Great extra-curricular activities including robotics, Oceanography, and choice of either regular music or band. Most of her teachers were great with one exception who was okay but a bit disorganized. Dr. Conrad is easily visable and active in the school. I only heard of one bullying incident and that student is no longer at the school, so it was resolved--that was a couple years ago.

Playa Del Rey Elementary School
550 N. Horne Street, Gilbert, AZ  85233
Last modified Playa Del Rey Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Playa Del Rey Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top