Coronado Elementary School

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 925 students

We are best known for academic excellence.

Posted March 7, 2010

I am a parent at Coronado and I absolutely love it. My students were well taught and always had plenty of homework to do.. good for me! I would suggest this school to anyone who has a child!

Posted March 3, 2010

One of the worst schools i've ever taken my kids to..They are terrible at informing you how your child is doing till it's to late. I do not recomend this school. Plus every time you turn around they have a school project you will have to pay for not in just science but in History English and Math... What happened to teaching kids basics? I will not be taking my kid here next year.

Posted February 18, 2010

I am a parent .. this is the first school I actually pulled my kid out of.. Teachers dont tell you your kid is having trouble till it's to late. I do like the vice principal.. He contacts you emediately if you have concerns.. Also if your child does not finish his schoolwork in class he or she probably wont do well. You dont get a history book to take home or a science book. I am very disapointed in this school.. My children have attended for four years.. They are A and B students but no thanks to the teachers..Plus they never taught the children cursive.. How sad is that.. Im teaching my children that myself plus everything else they know..very poor teachers.

Posted January 20, 2010

My daughter is in the 4th grade at Coronado and has attended there since Kindergarten. Overall, this is a great school with great teachers and professional staff.

Posted July 29, 2009

My daughter is getting ready to start 1st grade there this fall. She went to half day kindergarten there last year. She had Miss Nicholas and she was great. I am excited for the new school year to start. I wish that we did not have to buy so much for the supply list.

Posted May 21, 2008

Coronado is an awesome school with great. Every school has its problems, but I would say that Coronado as a hole is a great school. It is the district that is the problem. Coronado has wonderful staff, admin. students and parents, but like at all schools their are problems and it is up to the parents to communicate with the teachers and staff. If you work with the teachers, they will work with your children. I would recommend Coronado to others. Be involved! Don't be one to stand on the side -lines and complain.

Posted May 21, 2008

We also sent our 4 children here from Ben Franklin and had simlar experiences as the below family. Our 6th grader suffered as well and we also will be looking into other Junior High Schools for him. We will be switching back our other children as well. I was not pleased at all with the teachers and especially the principle. Now I know why a lot of our neighbors send their kids to the near by Gilbert schools rather than this one.

Posted March 14, 2008

I think Coronado is a great place for my children to recieve their education. All 3 of my children enjoy going to school each day. The Administation has bent over backwards with my conserns and questions. I think the Distric has some work to do but Coronado itself is great. The K-8 idea is great in keeping my older daughter growned and focused. There are a few teachers that I don't care for but for the most part they all care about my kids and I couldn't be happier.

Posted November 7, 2007

I can not say enough great things about Coronado. We have been going there for 5 years. I hope those that read this will disregard the earlier postings as things have dramatically improved over the years. It has been such a wonder watching this new school develop. The Principle truly cares about the kids. Each week she has a 'Lunch Bunch' . By the end of the year she has met each and every one of those 1100 kids and knows most of them by name. Her Assistant Principle is very caring as well. They are constantly working on ways to improve the school both academically and socially. The office staff is the most friendly and helpful staff out of any school I have ever been to. The parent involvement is outstanding. The teachers for the most part work very hard for my children in innovative ways to teach them.

Posted November 5, 2007

My children have been at Coronado for 6 years now. I have been very happy with education they have received. I have delt personally with the principal and I find her extremely professional and to have the children's best interest in mind. I have delt with the office staff and have found them very friendly and eager to help when needed. The teachers my children have had are great. Many of the teachers have moved up to the next grade with my children and we have found this to be a benefit to all. All in all I have found Coronado Elementary School to be a great school for my children to attend.

Posted June 4, 2007

Most of the great teachers at Coronado will not return for the next school year as they are going to other valley schools. This could be a problem. My kids will continue to attend and although their grades couldn't be better I wonder how they will compare to next year. As other parents have stated I am also concerned by the lack of diversity. Also the counselor could be more helpful and outgoing towards students who seek her advice. Much more.

Posted March 22, 2007

If you want an overcrowded school with little parent involvement this school is for you! I have never been so unhappy with the quality of teaching and lack of parent involvement. Most parents use this school as a drop off for babysitting and do no extra work at home. We pulled out our three children and put them in private school. We have to sacrifice things in order for our children to get a great education. You could not pay me to send my kids this school!!

Posted November 14, 2006

I have never been more dissatisfied with a school. This school is disorganized and the teacher quality is extremely poor. Teachers don t seem to be able to handle their classrooms. I do not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 30, 2006

I think Coronado has wonderful teachers who care about the children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 25, 2006

In fifth grade, my daughter had a wonderful teacher who really turned her around. Coronado keeps changing administration-if they could keep a consistent staff, they would really soar.

Posted March 4, 2006

Our family has been enrolled with Coronado since 2003-04 school year. I have three students, two with 504 plan needs. I have fought, cried, complained and been labeled a 'problem parent' because of the lack of apparent concern for the child being left behind by their peers. The apparent lack of empathy for students needs, both emotional, social and academic has been a concern of mine since the beginning.

Posted February 2, 2006

Coronado has changed over the last year. New administration has been a large part of this change. For better or worse, we need to all get on the same page and keep Coronado a great school for our children's sake.

Posted February 2, 2006

The quality of academic programs are lacking. Apparently they have adopted 'Langford learning'. It is setting the kids up for failure. The kids are not being held accountable soon enough. It is resulting in unaccountable, irresponsible kids! The availability of extracurricular activities are also lacking. I have tried being an involved parent but am being ignored. There is no communication from but only a handful of teachers. I am extremely disappointed in this school and would not recommend this school to anyone!

Posted January 17, 2006

Great School. Excellent teachers! If your child is falling behind, teachers will keep in contact with you via email. Great all around school.

Posted May 31, 2005

There seems to be a lack of consistency from one teacher to the next due to a lack of structured academic programs. There isn't any school-wide discipline plan. The expectations vary greatly from one class to another both academically and behaviorally. Some parents are constant complainers and get their way at the school and district. Our school is losing some great teachers because of mistreatment they receive from some of the parents and the lack of support from the administration. The whole district seems to be in disarray with recalls of school board members, difficulty finding a superintendent, and terminations of principals. Due to this lack of professionalism I am searching for another school for my daughter.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Excelling and "A" Rating (2011)
  • Highly Performing (2010)
  • Excelling (2009)

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Theodora Schiro
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Parents and community members are encouraged to attend our monthly pto meetings and run for officer positions on the pto and school improvement council. they are also encouraged to visit their child's classroom frequently.