K-6 & Ungraded
Public charter
Gilbert, AZ

Challenger Basic School 3

Posted December 07, 2014
I have mixed feelings about this school. I have a child that has attended there almost 4 years now, and another almost 2. There are a lot of worksheets and not a lot of hands on learning. They give a lot of homework. We spend our entire afternoon doing homework. There is not a lot of time leftover for playing. The principle is very strict . All the kids are scared of her. I have had a couple situations with my kids were she was involved and I feel like she is very harsh with her punishments. One of my children has a hard time focusing, so the principle was called in and she kept clapping in his face and hovering over him in front of the whole class, trying to get him to do his work. He came home devastated. There are 31 kids in my younger child's class, which I think is too much for one teacher, and there are a lot of difficult kids in his class. He is not getting the attention he needs. I would not recommend this school to kids with ADD or ADHD or any other learning disability. There are a few teachers there that I love. That is basically the only reason we have stayed there.

Posted March 15, 2014
Challenger is a great place for kids. They are loved and taught well in way that are motivating to them. The staff gets along well and seem to enjoy working there. It feels safe and small and the families are committed. I have had no issues with behavior in the classes and the teachers are great.

Posted May 21, 2013
THis school succeeds because it plucks the students who have supportive and motivating parents. The curriculum is advanced and the kids are taught to be accountable. Behavior problems are less than that of the neighborhood elementary schools and it feels small and sheltered. The facilities may be small and there is no library, gym or cafeteria, but the trade off is a superior education for your children.

Challenger Basic School 2

Posted May 27, 2011
If you want your kids to sit all day long, doing worksheet after worksheet, after worksheet, then this is the school for you! There isn't any "hands-on" anything. Science mostly consists of: worksheets! The teachers are great, and work very hard. However, the principal can be downright cruel and rude to the staff. Students aren't allowed to work in cooperative groups, ever. Also, teachers will get in trouble if they're doing any activity that seems the least bit "artsy" if it's not "Art Day". The school doesn't offer any after-school activities, or a real music program. So, no band or orchestra or anything like that. Also, there isn't a cafeteria. So, children have to eat outside in the heat. I feel that the teachers are great, but they are restricted by what they can do, due to the rigid rules of the administration.

Posted May 17, 2011
My daughter has been attending this school for several years now and I can't say enough about the school and the teachers. Each one is superb at their job. The husband and wife the run the school hold the students and staff to extremely high expectations and will remove any of the staff or students who do not meet those expectations. My daughter has friends who have transferred out and they are always well ahead of the students in their new schools.

Posted July 11, 2010
This is a Wonderful school. I attended the school in 2009 and I can say many good things. I attended this school 5 years ago and stopped because we moved to Utah. Then we came back and I went to the school. The teachers there still knew who we were and were very kind. The principals were the greatest. They were very kind. Things were changed after four years, they put up a portable and changed the paint. This school is good for all ages.

Challenger Basic School 2

Posted February 08, 2010

Posted December 10, 2009
My Daughter has attended this school since K and I really cant say enough good things! From the small class sizes (although this is changing) to the committed and caring teachers, everything at this school has far exceeded my expectations. My daughter is learning far above grade level and is challenged to do her best every day. It has a small-town personal feel to it and I love that I can walk into the office and they know exactly who you are, who your child is and what class they are in. The only less than amazing thing I can say is this: If your family is not Morman (as mine isnt) it may be a little harder to connect with other parents since there is a huge Morman presence here and a bit of clique-ishness going on. Thats only a minor glitch, the school is awesome and parents are involved.

Posted June 17, 2009
Once again, our kids have finished yet another FANTASTIC year at Challenger Basic School! This tiny school is Gilbert's best kept secret!!!! The entire staff is dynamite and appears to work incredibly well together to provide an outstanding education!

Posted June 17, 2009
We finsihed Kindergarten here and it couldn't have been better. It's rare that education exceeds expectations, and Challenger has so far. Having a full time teacher and full time aid in Kindergarten makes all the difference. No complaints this year at all...can't wait for first grade!

Challenger Basic School
1315 North Greenfield Road, Gilbert, AZ  85234
Last modified Challenger Basic School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Challenger Basic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top