Gilbert Early College, A Leading Edge High School 3

Posted April 14, 2014
My oldest daughter prefers a smaller school setting, so when we found GEC we were very excited. They have a small student-teacher ratio, and they employ methods such as peer tutoring, which is nice. They work very hard to make sure the students' grades stay up, and for the most part, the schools is pretty good. Most of the teachers are pretty good; however, there are a couple drawbacks. The biggest drawback is that elective courses are VERY limited and are not always substantive (ie both my daughters came out of the cooking class without learning to cook or the 2 years of Spanish & my daughter can't have a conversation in Spanish). Administration also seems a little behind the 8-ball sometimes. The fall semester can start and they have to use substitutes because the teachers were not hired in enough time to complete their background checks. You can call, leave messages and never have them returned unless your student is in trouble for something. There is also no bus service or late care & no carpool. They have no lockers or extra books so the kids have to carry ALL their books with them every day. Last year we weighed my daughter's backpack and it weighed 36 lbs.

Posted April 08, 2014
Leading Edge Academy and GEC is great school. I have four children that have attended there and my one child was placed at another school for unfortunate events.Overall, our family has grown and had great experiences with the school.Mr. Ziegler is a fantastic leader and his true passion for the kids is always recognized.As for JH & HS, if your child is not a self achiever or a spectacular athlete, then you may want to reconsider for this age group for this school.GEC IS Gilbert Early College for a reason.Children with special needs don't have the necessary resources needed.So if your older JH or HS child is an assertive achiever without needing extra care this is a great school.If your child has special needs JH/HS ask a lot of questions.Every child is unique and many learn in different ways.In closing, this educational institution exceeds standards and definitely is a better option than public school.Ultimately it is our responsibility as parents to do what is right for our children.I do believe a counselor to intervene in discipline is a good recommendation since the school is growing fast.I do believe Mrs. Hallam is a great leader with a very difficult job and responsibilities.

Posted April 08, 2014
You can't be all things to all people but for us, this school has been wonderful. The principal and teachers and open and easy to talk to. They listen to you and really want to be helpful. My kids are thriving in this environment and I would encourage anyone who is looking for a quality school, with quality teachers, that isn't going thru the upheaval of the local school districts in our town, to talk with the principal and staff, and tour the school. It has been a very good choice for us and I am incredibly happy we found GEC.

Posted April 08, 2014
What a wonderful experience for our high school aged daughter. She has primarily utilized the online program but has taken a regular math class with GEC. She is affected by a chronic illness and is thriving at this school. Thank-you Leading Edge HS (GEC)! Mrs. Z is the best teacher she has ever had!

Posted April 08, 2014
Gilbert Early College has proven to be a success with my daughter being able to bring up her grades. Teachers and staff have embraced my daughter and guided her through the school year. The Coaching staff has also benefited as my daughter has grown exponentially. They do not allow students to not turn in assignments and get away with it. They make the student accountable for the assignments and apply appropriate rewards or demerits/detention as necessary. Students are evaluated individually and help them grow in character and moral values. Gilbert Early College is a school to consider especially with their agreement with CGCC and completing college credit while in high school.

Posted April 07, 2014
We love Gilbert Early College. The school provides a nurturing, community feeling along with staff who truly care about the well-being of the children. The teachers are exceptional. Some of our family's outstanding experiences have been with English and Chemistry, as the teaching staff are so adept at teaching in a creative, positive and interesting manner. We highly recommend this school.

Gilbert Early College, A Leading Edge High School 1

Posted December 15, 2013
I am extremely disappointed in Gilbert Early College. I've been attending for multiple years and it's gotten worse and worse. Student athletes (especially basketball players) are routinely given special treatment and those who don't play sports aren't cut any slack. Teachers play favorites and it's obvious to every person who those favorites are. Two students will turn in work of the same quality but teachers let their personal opinions of students cloud their judgment when grading. In one class, I've never been tested once, yet I'm expected to take a final? On what, though, everything I've learned? Which i haven't been tested on once before? I feel as though we're being set up for failure. When I take issues to the principal, I feel as though I'm look over and not cared about. How are we supposed to learn in a place we don't feel comfortable, respected, or heard? It breaks my heart knowing that I'm one of many feeling this as well. The school needs to focus less on the quantity of students, and focus more on quality.

Posted September 12, 2013
My son has been at this school since Kindergarten and is now in 6th grade. He has not only excelled academically, but the character counts curriculum and the focus on community service has really taught my son to live beyond himself. His teachers have been caring, understanding, and always available for questions and concerns. I feel the principal deals with all the students fairly and holds them accountable for their actions. The sports are highly competitive and the coaches really seem to instill quality athleticism and sportsmanship in their players. The office staff is very friendly and helpful and any time I have had to visit the office I always felt welcome. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a small school with quality education, a caring staff, and a great sports program.

Posted September 08, 2013
My daughter has attended this school since third grade. She had gone to first and second grade at a public school and struggled with the basics. She currently makes straight A's, and school seems easy to her. I attribute that to the wonderful, caring teachers and staff that have helped her the last 5 years. This school is small enough that the kids don't fall through the cracks, but large enough to field some good athletic teams. The teachers that my daughter has had were all very qualified professionally, but, most importantly, truly cared about my daughter. My daughter loves the school and is looking forward to finishing high school there. I have nothing but great things to say about the principal, Mrs. Hallam, Mrs. Young, Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Foster, and Mr. Amsden. They are all fabulous! I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 08, 2013
We've been at this school for many years and I would highly recommend it! My daughter has graduated and received the the AIMS scholarship due to her excellence in academics for which I can thank her teachers. She was more than prepared for college. I feel my three other children receive great instruction also. I am pleased that the school seems to be just the right size to offer children the opportunity to tryout for sports and performing arts. Communication with the teachers and principal has been very good. They return emails promptly and often initiate correspondence if they have a concern regarding my child. I am very thankful that they truly seem to care about them. My special thanks to the principal, Mrs. Hallam, for often going after the heart of the matter with the kids and thank you to an awesome teaching staff which includes: Mr. and Mrs Gray, Mrs. Smith, Mr. Mylott, Mr. Amsden, Mrs. Foster, Mrs. Baugues, Mrs. Perkins, Mrs. Young and Mrs. Bradley!

Gilbert Early College, A Leading Edge High School
459 North Gilbert Road, Gilbert, AZ  85243
Last modified Gilbert Early College, A Leading Edge High School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gilbert Early College, A Leading Edge High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews.