Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Posted April 04, 2016
I have 4 children who have or are attending this school. It's been a good experience. There is no such thing as a perfect school but BFCS-Power is a great one. Some pros: great front office staff & principal. The teachers obviously feel supported so they can focus on teaching (i.e. they are well-trained and the school is run well without drama). I've been impressed with the curriculum -- it gives a very solid foundation and I feel tries to strike a balance between mastering essential knowledge and using it creatively. There are lots of opportunities for parent involvement and some very dedicated parents who have made a big difference -- running club and an enhanced art program are some recent good additions. Also, no extra financial obligations or lots of fundraisers -- yay! I like that my kids have all had good supportive friends who come from diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. Also, great P.E. department and Mrs. Just runs a fabulous music department. I'm not up on the orchestra but the choir & band rival many Jr. High ones I've heard. As I mentioned, there is no such thing as perfect. If I could change anything it would be less homework in the older grades but as I talk with friends at other schools I think that is a problem at a lot of schools. For my child who struggled doing homework I would just inform their teacher that they would only be spending the maximum time required by the school handbook to work on homework and teachers were supportive of that. My other critique would be that I wish the science curriculum was more interactive across the board. My experience is that some teachers incorporate more extracurricular materials than others. BFCS offers a very solid education. My kids who have moved on have excelled. I feel like they were given the foundation and tools they need to really take advantage of educational opportunities in Jr. High, High school & beyond.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 19, 2016
Top notch teachers pushing kids to be top notch students, teachers are available before and after school as needed.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted January 19, 2016
Homework can be excessive at times but that is part of being able to compete in the global economy if you can't hang here how are you going to compete in a global economy?

Develops grit: Agree

Posted January 19, 2016
Sometimes our kids are a little overwhelmed but in the end they are pushing their limits and that is a good thing.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted January 19, 2016
They just require it, no debate. This school has a low tolerance for speaking without raising your hand or any other disruptive behavior.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted January 19, 2016
This is the one weak point of this school. if your child is sick they expect ALL glasswork to be done on a pretty tight schedule and are not very forgiving.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted January 19, 2016
BFCS sets a very high standard for student behavior. when the middle school moved to the new building and they added more classes at each grade my kids cold pick the kids that moved in from public school out of a lineup just by their behavior.

Posted January 19, 2016
1st class education but they are not very flexible. If your kid can stay on task this is a first class education.

Benjamin Franklin Charter School - Power 1

Posted February 18, 2014
Why is everything unbending and uncaring. My wife and son both return from teacher conference crying. This is rediculous. My son spends 3-4 hours every night doing homework and we work with him the entire time. The teacher does not care what his grade is and refuses to teach. She just assigns work and expects it done. Even completed homework receives an F if there are to many mistakes.

Posted February 07, 2014
I have been so happy with not only the quality of education, but also the environment that my children have been able to learn at Benjamin Franklin Charter School (BFCS). I love the fact that with the use of the Spalding method, it doesn't matter which teacher my child gets...he/she will be learning the same material in the same way. Because BFCS encourages parent involvement at the school, I can volunteer as much as I would like and I feel very accessible to my child and part of the team that is teaching him/her. I also really appreciate that the character values we teach our children at home are reinforced at this school. I highly recommend this school to anyone!

22951 S. Power Rd., Gilbert, AZ  85297
Last modified Benjamin Franklin Charter School - Power is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.