Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

This is my sons first year and we love it. We are gonna send our daughter here in a couple of years

I have 4 children who have or are attending this school. It's been a good experience. There is no such thing as a perfect school but BFCS-Power is a great one. Some pros: great front office staff & principal. The teachers obviously feel supported so they can focus on teaching (i.e. they are well-trained and the school is run well without drama). I've been impressed with the curriculum -- it gives a very solid foundation and I feel tries to strike a balance between mastering essential knowledge and using it creatively. There are lots of opportunities for parent involvement and some very dedicated parents who have made a big difference -- running club and an enhanced art program are some recent good additions. Also, no extra financial obligations or lots of fundraisers -- yay! I like that my kids have all had good supportive friends who come from diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. Also, great P.E. department and Mrs. Just runs a fabulous music department. I'm not up on the orchestra but the choir & band rival many Jr. High ones I've heard. As I mentioned, there is no such thing as perfect. If I could change anything it would be less homework in the older grades but as I talk with friends at other schools I think that is a problem at a lot of schools. For my child who struggled doing homework I would just inform their teacher that they would only be spending the maximum time required by the school handbook to work on homework and teachers were supportive of that. My other critique would be that I wish the science curriculum was more interactive across the board. My experience is that some teachers incorporate more extracurricular materials than others. BFCS offers a very solid education. My kids who have moved on have excelled. I feel like they were given the foundation and tools they need to really take advantage of educational opportunities in Jr. High, High school & beyond.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Top notch teachers pushing kids to be top notch students, teachers are available before and after school as needed.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework can be excessive at times but that is part of being able to compete in the global economy if you can't hang here how are you going to compete in a global economy?

Develops character: Strongly agree

BFCS sets a very high standard for student behavior. when the middle school moved to the new building and they added more classes at each grade my kids cold pick the kids that moved in from public school out of a lineup just by their behavior.

1st class education but they are not very flexible. If your kid can stay on task this is a first class education.

Why is everything unbending and uncaring. My wife and son both return from teacher conference crying. This is rediculous. My son spends 3-4 hours every night doing homework and we work with him the entire time. The teacher does not care what his grade is and refuses to teach. She just assigns work and expects it done. Even completed homework receives an F if there are to many mistakes.

I have been so happy with not only the quality of education, but also the environment that my children have been able to learn at Benjamin Franklin Charter School (BFCS). I love the fact that with the use of the Spalding method, it doesn't matter which teacher my child gets...he/she will be learning the same material in the same way. Because BFCS encourages parent involvement at the school, I can volunteer as much as I would like and I feel very accessible to my child and part of the team that is teaching him/her. I also really appreciate that the character values we teach our children at home are reinforced at this school. I highly recommend this school to anyone!

We moved to the area 3 years ago we first decided to send our kids to the school district school closest to our home. After sending my 2 kids the first year & then adding my 5 yr. old the following year I felt like a change was in order to better fit my kids. I knew families from church that sent their kids to BFCS and had great things to say about their experiences. The campus is close to our home, but more importantly as I learned more about the school, & made several visits I realized my kids could do better in this environment. I love the front office staff, they were helpful and kind as they answered my questions and helped us enroll! BFCS has provided my kids with great structure and expectations regarding their education. The school teaches the kids to be proud of their country, to be good citizens and to be responsible. I love the communication, environment & teachers. Each time I go to the school, I am greeted with a friendly smile. I love when I help in the classrooms (not required) and can see how and what my kids are being taught. My kids excitement about their school makes me happy. So glad we made the choice to switch; great kids & families.

After several interviews with different schools, and observing different classrooms during those interviews, I found myself very drawn to Benjamin Franklin Charter School. At the time my son was only in Kindergarten, but I knew he needed the organized, structured inviroment that this school provides. (The public school was no match in this department) Teachers impliment very structured classroom guidlines so that every student has the opportunity to learn without disruption, while at the same time showing care and consideration towards those individual needs. One of the most impressive things I have expierenced since joining this campus is the morning flag ceremony and devotional. Mr. Lee (Our Campus Principal) does an outstanding job of greeting our students every single morning. They recite the pledge as a school united, sing a patriotic song, moment of slience and then followed by that, a chosen classroom is given the opportunity to share a "Quote of the day" and are taught the reason to embrace it. If you are considering this school, I suggest you attend a morning devotional, you will be glad you did! I couldnt think of a better way for my child to start they day of learning!

Last modified Benjamin Franklin Charter School - Power is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.