Highland Park Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted April 19, 2010

Over time, I've become increasingly dissatisfied with the education my child is receiving at Highland Park Elementary. I've found that 'fun' activities take over vital instruction time, which leaves parents and children to 'bridge the gap' at home, with increased homework. My child regularly reports to me on the Disney/Pixar movies that are shown in school -- not just in the classroom, but in library, as well. I'm really at a loss to understand why the librarian is having the children watch movies, rather than reading to the children or allowing them to browse the stacks. When you add in the constant barrage of fundraising for PTSO (restaurant nights, food sales, etc.) and favored charitable organizations (Relay for Life, Jump Rope for Heart), I'm astounded at the amount of advertising my child is taking in at school. All in all, I cannot recommend Highland Park Elementary as a strong school.

Posted February 18, 2010

I am so pleased with HPE. Mr. Martin, as well as his staff, is awesome. Our son's teacher, Mrs. Coassolo, deserves to be teacher of the year! Nurse Denise is caring and helpful; the receptionists are so friendly! We have been treated with the utmost respect, genuine caring and concern for our son's needs as a student and a person. We are very blessed to ba a part of the HPE family!

Posted October 7, 2009

Mychild has gone to Highland Park since it opened. Mr. Martin is a great principal he interacts w/ the kids all the time. Although he sometimes lets the parents have to much control over what goes on in the school. My child has had great teachers for the exception of one. Over all I would definetly give this school a rating of a 9.

Posted September 1, 2009

We just moved into the neighborhood over the summer and my two children are lving their first few weeks at Highland Park. You can definately tell the entire staff is all about putting students needs first. I am thoroughly impressed with the leadership and sincerity the principal, Mr. Martin, brings to this school. You can tell the staff loves him as well as the students and parents. I firmly believe the success of a school starts at the top and I am so happy Mr. Martin truly cares about Highland Park. His level of energy, integrity, and enthusiasm impresses me everyday as I always see him out of his office interacting with students, staff, and parents. The two teachers my children have are fantastic. They have taken the time to build a relationship with my kids.

Posted June 5, 2009

This neighborhood walking school is the best of it's kind. I love everything about it, from the activities, to the teachers. It is phoenominal! I love the new ineractive garden that is going in, also. I would definately make a point to have my child at this school.

Posted June 5, 2009

This school is one of the best schools in the east valley. Mr. Martin is a fantastic principal and the teacher are top quality! I am thrilled with the education my children are receive at this school!

Posted February 4, 2009

As a parent, I would have to disagree with the review below. My son has learned so much at Highland Park and continues to excell and read at a higher grade level. Not only is the school beautiful, but my son has been challenged with his 'busy work' and continues to succeed and shine.

Posted November 18, 2008

As a former teacher, I appreciate the dedication of the principal and teachers at Highland Park Elementary. The community is very involved in helping this school thrive.

Posted November 18, 2008

This is a totally committed school. We have been attending here scince its beginning and couldn't be happier. Jason Martin, the principal, and all the support staff are exceptional. There may be a hiccup here or there but perfection from top to bottom would be impossible to find anywhere. The school is beautiful, cozy, and you feel welcome immediately. Parent involvement is high and the feel of a neighborhood school is at its best here!

Posted November 17, 2008

My son has attended Highland Park Elementary since it first opened in Gilbert. I have been impressed with the teachers, support staff and principal. After working in his classroom, I am impressed with the patience and care provided to the students, given the fact that the teacher has so many different student needs to meet on a daily basis. Parent involvement and PTSO are impressive.

Posted November 17, 2008

My children just started at highland park this year and we have been very pleased with the school so far. Everyone has been very friendly, the school has a strong community spirit and a lot of parent involvement.

Posted November 17, 2008

This is one of the best schools in the area. Teachers are very qualified and caring. Kids can really excel in this school. Learning & Creative activities are well balanced. Lot of attention is given to the well being of all the kids.

Posted November 17, 2008

My children have been in the Gilbert Public School system for many years.....compared to the other elementary schools my children have attended, I would say by far that this one is a cut above the rest. Immediately upon walking into the school, you can feel the atmosphere - very warm and caring! The parent involvement here is impressive. The principal, Jason Martin is extremely supportive of the parents and teachers alike. The PTSO is unlike many other PTSO's...they are very organized and keep you informed. I would recommend this school to anyone in or out of the school's boundaries.

Posted November 17, 2008

My child has attend HPE since its opening and I must say that the environment is inviting. The staff is friendly. All the teachers that we have had have been great! I feel that the Principal, has a high standard for what he wants from his teachers, staff as well as the students. My child has enjoyed going to school. We, as a family are pleased with HPE.

Posted November 17, 2008

I have been impressed with Highland Park since Day One of my daughter's Kindergarten class! The teachers really go out of their way to have hands-on projects that bring their subject material to life. I appreciate the caring attitude shown by the teachers, front-office staff, and the school principal, Jason Martin. I can't wait for my son to start school their next year!

Posted November 17, 2008

My eldest son has gone to HPE since it first opened and my first grader just starterd there this year. We have been extremely happy with this school. The Principal, teachers and staff are extremely supportive. We have been very happy with the education our children are receiving.

Posted November 17, 2008

Our son is in his first year at this school and we're extremely pleased. All of the children are respectful and are always smiling. The administrators, teachers and staff are very committed.

Posted July 17, 2008

Highland Park is an excellent school! Not only do they provide a loving, safe environment for our kids, they make learning fun. Every teacher that I have met puts so much of their own time and money into the education of the students. Yes, once in awhile there will be a movie on for the students. But not to the extent that it affects the education of the kids. I only have two children (compared to 23) and if I didn't put a movie on once in awhile, I would never get dinner made!

Posted July 17, 2008

Highland Park Elementary is a wonderful school. The teachers go above and beyond every day for their students. The administration has been extremely helpful in all areas. My kids are learning and growing at an amazing pace because of the love and concern of the entire faculty.

Posted July 17, 2008

I have two children attending Highland Park Elementary. As a parent, I couldn't be happier. The administration and teachers take a real interest in my kids education. It is a beautiful school and everyone there is friendly and helpful.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

230 N. Cole Dr.