Highland Park Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 922 students

Posted May 9, 2014

We are finishing our first year at HPE after transferring in from a highly ranked charter school. We are really happy here, primarily because of the campus culture. Some of our favorite school/community events: Walk to School Day, Fall Carnival, Evening of the Arts, Seussical the Musical (the music teacher is SO ambitious and my goodness, the kids really rise to the occasion), the art program is really sophisticated, the curriculum/homework is appropriate (we're just finishing kinder), they have a learning garden that's *actually used*!, Run for the Shade fundraiser, Holiday Shoppe (my kid was too excited to keep his presents for the family hidden till' Xmas), and fundraisers that haven't been overwhelming. Having come from an environment that put a big emphasis on working kids one year ahead and pushing homework, it is really important to consider the connection between how kids FEEL about school and their performance/stamina. I feel like my child has a lot of opportunities to feel connected to his teachers & campus and *have fun* at school, which is just as (if not more) important to his long-term success as test results, homework & curriculum.

Posted March 23, 2014

Our elementary school is one of the best if not the best in the district. Our teachers continue to go above and beyond what teachers are expected to do and our principal strives for continued excellence to maintain the reputation we have. I cannot be more proud of our school and our world class district.

Posted October 25, 2013

HPE strives to provide an exemplary education by challenging students in a warm, supportive environment. Through the teamwork of the staff, parents and PTSO, children are given the tools, love and support that are crucial to successful learning.

Posted October 24, 2013

great people always have a smile. Very helpful students staff is fun to be around and work with.

Posted October 24, 2013

Our school is amazing. I love how accepting, talented, and patient the teachers are with the kids. The principal is approachable and kind. It's a warm environment with rigorous academics.

Posted October 24, 2013

Highland Park expects high results from its students, and the students come through! It is an "A" school, and teachers take the time to make sure all students are progressing. It is an exemplary school when it comes to student behavior as well!

Posted October 24, 2013

Highland Park is a wonderful school, that provides a high standard of learning along with a nurturing, friendly environment.

Posted October 24, 2013

I have had the opportunity to work in many different schools during my career and have found Highland Park to be a favorite for many reasons. The staff is friendly and hard working. They continue learning through in-service training, Professional Learning Communities, workshops and university classes. They put children and their needs as their first priority. The administrators always make time to listen and deal with any concerns that may arise. The school has a well-deserved "A" rating and the students in general are high achievers. Art, PE and music are provided and all of these programs are of exceptional quality. The building is beautifully decorated and the children are proud of it. Highland Park has few problems with behavior. Parents are involved in their student's education and provide support to the school through the PTSO and numerous fund raising activities throughout the year. Highland Park is a great place to send your student to school.

Posted October 24, 2013

Highland Park Elementary has been a wonderful school to work at. We have been highly active in implementing the new standards, as well as are actively involved in the development of ELA units and math units.

Posted August 23, 2013

We love Highland Park! Because it is a neighborhood school you get such a feeling of community. Everyone is happy and helpful. My kids love to walk or ride to school with dozens of others.

Posted August 22, 2013

I have worked at HPE since it opened. I have worked for GPS since 1996. I am always super excited to start a new year and get to see all the kids coming back to school. My child has attended this school for 6 years and as a parent I can't say enough good things about the education my child has received here. HPE is an awesome school to work for! I believe my child is getting the best education offered in Gilbert, Arizona.

Posted August 22, 2013

We love this school. My son is in second grade and we switched him here after not being thrilled with his Kinder school. What a world of difference! From the time you enter the building, or even cross the street with the friendly crossing guards, you find that everyone is genuine and caring and seems to go above and beyond. The school is painted with park scene murals throughout and just feels like a fun place to learn. The teachers are wonderful and Mr. Martin, the Principal is often seen doing crossing duty himself. I cannot say enough great things about HPE, we are SO glad we switched!

Posted August 22, 2013

My children have been attending Highland Park since it opened in 2006 & we love it. I feel the staff & teachers put an incredible amount of effort into providing a high quality education for the students. In addition the families at HPE are involved as volunteers working to assist the teachers in their educational endeavors. I highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a school that offers a learning environment where students work hard, but also have fun learning.

Posted August 17, 2013

There's not enough stars to describe this school. From the teachers to staff to parents this is absolutely the best school I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know. The whole neighborhood comes to life as kids and parents look to see who their new teachers are. Mr. Martin and staff have deserved all the praise that they get.

Posted May 24, 2013

We moved to Highland Park Elementary two years ago. We have loved becoming a part of this school. The teachers are wonderful and very invested in each kid. They really strive to meet each students needs. There are a lot of enrichment programs you can participate in as well. Families are involved, staff is involved and the teachers are involved. It is a wonderful school!

Posted May 20, 2013

My husband and I are so happy with this school. We have 3 kids all attending HPE. The teachers and staff are fabulous! Mr. Martin (our principal) knows almost every one of the 960 kids. My kids are learning and doing very well. The teachers strive to challenge the kids to think outside the box.

Posted May 17, 2013

My son has attended this school since 1st grade and will be graduating this year! He has learned a lot and has enjoyed his time here at this school! Awesome principal, office staff, teachers, cafeteria staff and instructional assistants. PTSO and parents are very involved and do an awesome job!

Posted August 13, 2011

We have been at Highland Park for 3 years and love it. Mr. Martin and all the staff are friendly and helpful! I have never been made to feel like I am a bother when I have questions or emails. I have received prompt response on inquries. We have had a few issues with some bullying (majority of schools do) but they were addressed. We are sad that this is our last year!

Posted July 2, 2011

I've been going to this school for almost six years now and I think that my favorite thing about it is that the teachers are very fun and creative. My first grade teacher's name is Mrs. Dobrunz she was very nice and funny and she encouraged me to read and now I go through books faster than my parents do. My second grade teacher was very nice but she doesn't teach anymore. My third grade teacher was my favorite Her name is Miss Allen but I don't think she'll be teaching at the school next year :( . My fourth grade teacher's name is Mrs. Buchanan, she was very fun and interactive and she let the class plant things in the school garden. My last teacher's name was Mrs. Coassolo well I'll say this if you're on her good side she's hilarious and nice. But if the class ever gets say a C average ooh she will lecture you for an hour even to the kids who got strait A's. Also if you are in the A.L.P. class you will have Ms. Bentz a kind funny teacher who teaches advanced math and language to fourth fifth and sixth graders I recomend testing for language ALP Its worth the hard work! So good luck at Highland Park Elementary Gilbert Az.!!!!!

Posted May 7, 2010

In response to the review, increasingly dissatisfied. You can't blame the school for allowing their PTSO to have fundraisers. With the state of our current education budget you have to look at other ways to supply the schools with money they are no longer receiving from the state. As for the Disney movies, it is interesting that none of my four children have ever said anything about a movie being shown except the day of field trips or the last day before a school break. I think parents need to understand that it is their responsibility to bridge the gap! My students are thriving at Highland Park because I look at it as a partnership, one between the parent and teacher. Maybe it would be wise for you to seek other alternatives to your child's education if you are dissatisfied, Remember our public education system isn't a one size fits all.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

230 N. Cole Dr.