Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Highland Park Elementary School 1

Posted May 24, 2016
We go to school events & you get stared at & nobody talks to you not even the teachers your child has. They will be unsympathetic towards a child who has health & emotional struggles. My son has seen Neurologist, rheumatologist & worked with the school social worker & seen a councilor. I felt judged as mom & looked on as if I was failing. Whoever knows my son always says how respectful, kind & smart. Who received an academic award in school the year before and was in a accelerated program was viewed here as a burden and lazy. He is involved in sports, scouts, family activities & the people here made him feel bad about himself. He would have work in his bag graded & then I would see online that he got a 0 for it. This happened multiple times. They don't even keep track of graded paperwork properly. If the work is done in the folder then all I know is that its done, unless the teacher who should notify my as an fyi that my son has missing assignments. I should be notified especially when I send regular emails & they know I'm working with him. Which nobody cares until I email them. I would have to keep a bin of done work so when this happened he could take it back to school. I've never felt so upset on how my son was treated by grown women who are suppose to support, teach, inspire. Even those kids who struggle & feel like they don't belong. Not be picked on & excluded. Not to mention that in a entire year I had 1 parent teacher conference & if they were more I was never invited. The other school my son went to had 2 if not 3. And when my son doesn't have a trifold for his assignment & is told by the teacher " Wouldn't expect anything else" that is beyond uncalled for. If you have a problem then you contact me. You do not have full reign to make comments to my son to cut him down. My son has been picked on by adult women all year & then they wonder why he feels miserable, depressed, and unwelcomed. Or the time where my son got a concussion from falling off his bike on the way into school & was in the nurses office waiting (when they had no nurse) & they let him fall asleep while he was waiting for me to get there to pick him up. All these adults and nobody thought when they called to tell me that his words are slurrying and he was out of it that "hey we need to make sure he doesn't fall asleep"????? If you don't belong you wont be treated like you do, ever.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 24, 2016
Erika Hatcher, social worker. The only person who spoke to my son about his struggles and would call me and talk to me about how he is doing and progressing.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 24, 2016
My son has never had a worse school year ever. After reaching out to them after dr visits and telling them about his chronic headache and body pain and how it affects him they still didn't work with him in demeanor or to show support. it was always negative

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 24, 2016
They themselves admit that they don't have time to do classwork in class and then they have that and homework that needs to be done.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted May 24, 2016
No. they make those who feel low feel lower in my experience this year. They don't build up kids or make them feel good about themselves. If they do that don't do it with every kid.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 24, 2016
No. Ive heard my son come home being picked on about a supposed unibrow and why hes not Mormon. and teachers themselves make comments about him to him.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 24, 2016
My son with his struggles in health, emotionally and mentally have been very hard and the only person who has been supportive or reached out is the social worker at the school that I contacted. The teacher make comments to him that are unnecessary and rude and the kids pick on him because hes not Mormon and tell him hes going to hell.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 24, 2016
My son has only shown to be picked on and to feel anxious about school now and the teachers. He feels he is not liked or treated the same.

Highland Park Elementary School 5

Posted May 20, 2015
Every teacher we've had, we have loved. My kids have been very happy at this school.

Highland Park Elementary School 5

Posted March 29, 2015
Congratulations HPE for receiving the A+ School of Excellence designation from the Arizona Educational Foundation! It is an honor for my family to be a part of this school.

230 North Cole Dr, Gilbert, AZ  85234
Last modified Highland Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.