Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My oldest daughter started attending Highland Park Elementary in 3rd grade. She is now in eighth grade. That same year my second oldest daughter started Kindergarten at Highland Park Elementary. She is now in 5th grade at Highland Park Elementary. My oldest had a great time at Highland Park. She had a great time because she was easy to teach and to be around. She had many friends and got straight A's. She also had the best principal ever! The principal, Mr. Martin, was beyond wonderful! Every time I came on campus he made me and everyone there feel welcome. It was such a warm feeling. He made it all about the kids. He made it a school where kids felt safe, accepted, and loved. My younger daughter would run and give him a hug! My oldest graduated elementary school the same year Mr. Martin decided to work for the district. The new principal, Michel Mowery could care less about relationships with parents or the children. It is her way or the highway. She comes across as cold. The entire feel of the school has drastically changed. She does not make parents feel welcome on campus. Once she followed me into my daughter's classroom and asked me why I was there! Um....to see my daughter and what she is doing at school. I want to be involved in her education! She made me feel as though I was doing something wrong. She asked me, "Do you need to set up an appointment with the teachers?" It was so bizarre to me that she would follow me around as though I shouldn't be at my child's school. This is just as much my school as hers! The entire feeling of the school has changed. You do not feel uplifted when walking into the school. The teachers no longer seem happy. I think if they voted they would hands down want Mr. Martin back. Mrs. Mowery is not a fun person or a warm person which in turn has made the school have a very business- like, cold feeling to it. Worse than the principal, the 4th, 5th, and 6th graders have a schedule like junior high kids. It feels impossible as a parent to communicate or get to know the teachers. These kids are in elementary school! They should have one teacher that they feel comfortable with. My daughter does not feel comfortable with any of her teachers and she is scared of the principal. This should not be an elementary school kids experience! Also, she has struggled in school since the switching of classes. She never struggled before.

This school is amazing! My daughter previously attended a public school in Gilbert and a Charter School in Gilbert and we went through a lot of frustration in trying to help her with Dyslexia. This is our second year at Highland Park Elementary and I wish we had started at this school in Kindergarten - the teachers are amazing and really care about the students. I cannot stress how much I appreciate the communication from the school and my questions have been answered very quickly (usually same day). Our Resource Teacher has been a true blessing to my daughter. They have went above and beyond learning about Dyslexia. The teachers have restored my faith in the entire school system, I was at a point I thought home school was our only answer and I am so glad we decided to go to this school!

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

My daughter has been diagnosed with Dyslexia and the teachers have made time to attend Susan Bartons conference on their own time - simply amazing! They are open to discussion and meetings to determine the best course of action for the children!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers truly care about the students at this school! They are amazing!!

Highland Park is a school where kids are first! This means that they do what is right for kids every time regardless of the impact on adults! After all, as adults we already had our turn.

We go to school events & you get stared at & nobody talks to you not even the teachers your child has. They will be unsympathetic towards a child who has health & emotional struggles. My son has seen Neurologist, rheumatologist & worked with the school social worker & seen a councilor. I felt judged as mom & looked on as if I was failing. Whoever knows my son always says how respectful, kind & smart. Who received an academic award in school the year before and was in a accelerated program was viewed here as a burden and lazy. He is involved in sports, scouts, family activities & the people here made him feel bad about himself. He would have work in his bag graded & then I would see online that he got a 0 for it. This happened multiple times. They don't even keep track of graded paperwork properly. If the work is done in the folder then all I know is that its done, unless the teacher who should notify my as an fyi that my son has missing assignments. I should be notified especially when I send regular emails & they know I'm working with him. Which nobody cares until I email them. I would have to keep a bin of done work so when this happened he could take it back to school. I've never felt so upset on how my son was treated by grown women who are suppose to support, teach, inspire. Even those kids who struggle & feel like they don't belong. Not be picked on & excluded. Not to mention that in a entire year I had 1 parent teacher conference & if they were more I was never invited. The other school my son went to had 2 if not 3. And when my son doesn't have a trifold for his assignment & is told by the teacher " Wouldn't expect anything else" that is beyond uncalled for. If you have a problem then you contact me. You do not have full reign to make comments to my son to cut him down. My son has been picked on by adult women all year & then they wonder why he feels miserable, depressed, and unwelcomed. Or the time where my son got a concussion from falling off his bike on the way into school & was in the nurses office waiting (when they had no nurse) & they let him fall asleep while he was waiting for me to get there to pick him up. All these adults and nobody thought when they called to tell me that his words are slurrying and he was out of it that "hey we need to make sure he doesn't fall asleep"????? If you don't belong you wont be treated like you do, ever.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My son has never had a worse school year ever. After reaching out to them after dr visits and telling them about his chronic headache and body pain and how it affects him they still didn't work with him in demeanor or to show support. it was always negative

Amount of homework: Disagree

They themselves admit that they don't have time to do classwork in class and then they have that and homework that needs to be done.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My son has only shown to be picked on and to feel anxious about school now and the teachers. He feels he is not liked or treated the same.

Every teacher we've had, we have loved. My kids have been very happy at this school.

Last modified Highland Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.